Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old June 17, 2019   #1
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Default Light of the World F1

Wanted to start a new thread on my cross since the old title did not apply to what I actually did.

Anyway, I am days away from tasting the F1 fruit of Brandywine Platfoot x Orange Jazz. Calling it Light of the World.

Plants are the tallest in my greenhouse, as well as fattest stems.

My goal was to get a yellow/orange fruit that was large and delicious like the Platfoot, but earlier, more productive, and non-splitting like OJ.
I know breeding is more complicated than just crossing the 2 and getting those features, but I had to have a starting point.
Fruit are getting LARGE. 75% look to be pounders. Slight ribbing on top. None are cracking at all, where neighboring Cherokee Purple, Guker's Special, and Brandy Boy are as always.
Color is going gold like I hoped. Just started, so more darkening expected.

IMG_1761.jpg

IMG_1762.jpg

IMG_1740.jpg

IMG_1732.jpg

I have 9 F2 that have set fruit (I pulled seeds but did not get to taste the F1 last november, as it was not fully ripe). I was hoping to find a yellow fruit with potato leaf, and none of the 9 F2 have this.
I am planning on fermenting seeds from this current F1 crop. I will plant out 24 plants as soon as I can germ them.

Will do a slice and taste this weekend hopefully...

Last edited by PureHarvest; June 17, 2019 at 03:14 PM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2019   #2
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

Wow! Excellent looking tomatoes! Very interesting cross. I hope you can get it stable.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2019   #3
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Nice cross! You've got some beautiful and big tomatoes. Crossing good parents makes for delicious F1, at least my F1 was delicious last year, I hope yours is too!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18, 2019   #4
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys!
Fingers crossed for the taste test in a few days.
I was able to pick a Platfoot that is almost identical in size and ripeness to the LOW that I picked. Will be nice to compare them at the same time.
And one update, we hit 90 Sunday and yesterday and some of the fruit are getting the small cracks near the stem side of the fruit. Not bad, but not crack free like I hoped. I guess it is retaining some of the heirloom tendencies.
Old June 18, 2019   #5
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful fruit you have there PH. Love the size and the colour should be beautiful when fully developed
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019   #6
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Harvested a bunch of fruit on Saturday. Many of them are monsters. I should have put something in the pic below for scale.

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1781.jpg

I cut open one I harvested on Thursday to get seeds for F2 hunting...ZERO SEEDS! What the heck? Was a smaller one, maybe 6 ounces.
Picked a bunch on Saturday.
Cut 2 open. The first had ZERO SEEDS!. Again, a smaller one, maybe 6 ounces. All meat, but really good texture.
The second was a biggie, over a pound. Finally, some seeds, but very few seeds.
Locules and gel/seeds are close to the outside of the fruit around the perimeter of the fruit.
I'll do a pic tonight of a dissected one.
Taste was very good, but not as much bite/acid as the Yellow Brandywine parent. A little more mild. Texture and mouth feel are excellent.
Still pleased overall even though I think taste testers would pick the Yellow Brandywine for flavor. And, it is a really neat conversation piece with family, friends and colleagues.
Plus, the F2 hunting fun is yet to come...

Last edited by PureHarvest; June 24, 2019 at 09:10 AM.
Old June 24, 2019   #7
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Glad you liked the taste! They are some nice colored fruits! I'm sure you'll find some with more tang in the F2. I've had some plants in some years with the earliest fruits containing little seed, I wonder if it is related to suboptimal fruit setting weather on the early flowers?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2019   #8
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

OJ is a beast in every aspect except flavor for me. Plus they get soft really fast after picking. If you can improve flavor/shelf life it might be the perfect tomato. Good luck!
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26, 2019   #9
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Bigvan, what’s is up?!
I totally agree 100%
I’ve been giving a lot of LOW away and people really love it.
I ate one 2 nights ago that was excellent. Then ate a Platfoot and it was a tad disappointing.
Funny the whole flavor thing.
Old July 4, 2019   #10
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Beautiful fruit!! Hope you can get it to where you want with out too many bumps along the way.
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2019   #11
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I agree with everyone-great looking fruit. And I love the name you chose. It's a happy one.
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote