Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old February 13, 2021   #1
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Default Orange is the new black

I Have some interesting new orange and gf orange tomatoes from a new breeding project and I just realized I didn’t post about this project here on Tomatoville last year.
There is an album of the F1 and F2 on my northern gardener page if interested so I’ll just start this thread with a few examples.
These are all on potato leaf plants. Here are A few examples of some very unstable small regular indeterminate and indeterminate dwarf plants. I have made a few selections up grow out this year and will post updates here as well as on my NorthernGardenerCanada Facebook page and Instagram. Please feel welcome to follow there as well if you like.
https://m.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada/
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2021   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Exciting stuff and some tasty looking tomatoes Karen! I always enjoy your projects. What tomatoes are in these genetics?

I look forward to the day when you release new varieties from your various projects. I really loved the flavor of Tundra last year, I have seed for a few others from that project but I am also limited in space........so I think I am growing Tundra again in 2021, it was just so tasty and don't want to go without.

How many plants do you grow in a summer?
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2021   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, I’m glad to hear you loved Tundra!. I love to see people grow my tomatoes but it’s even better to hear that people are growing them more than once. That is definitely the goal, not to be the next flash in the pan novelty.
It’s been an interesting journey so far with many lessons along the way one of which is not to publicly reveal the parents of my crosses specifically but now I have arrived at an interesting crossroads where I can now use my own stable breeding lines as a parent for new crosses. That seems to add a new dimension of renewed excitement for me because now I can explore how tomatoes I created myself combine in crosses with other tomatoes I choose so that is very interesting to me. I will say that these resulted from a cross of one of my lines with a Beta carotene saladette. My idea was to look at making an origional salad sized tomato in an interesting colour and in a potato leaf plant. I think there are some interesting possibilities to take forward and the F1 itself was interesting on its own as well. Much to learn about how these will work out. The flavours o really were very strong, leaning toward more acid than sweet with a few exceptions and so there is a Whole lot of work to be done. F3 will be even more important as I expect a lot of continued segregation so will proceed with just a couple of the very best From the F2 shown here.
As always, a work on progress and a juggling act with several different projects at various stages but it’s fun and I still enjoy it very much.
I grew about 260 plants last year - give or take- from very small dwarfs in my short and sweet project to the nearing completion large new hearts and beefsteaks. It’s possible there may be a couple of new ones ready this year but will see how it goes it is still very important to me that they be stable as I am very serious about my tomatoes being considered consistent

KarenO
Old February 13, 2021   #4
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Great projects lead to great results! Thanks for sharing your progress, KarenO!

It is inspirational!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2021   #5
Whwoz
Tomatovillian™

Looking forward to hearing more on these as time progresses Karen
Whwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2021   #6
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Your work is so impressive. I'm looking forward to growing some of your released seeds in the fall.

How close are you to releasing a good tasting micro / small dwarf? I grew Red Robin - I didn't like it at all.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2021   #7
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! Not too far off Barb , perhaps for next year. There’s one called sweet baby jade selected by my friend Teresa Smith from one of my crosses at F7 now. It’s a green when ripe cherry on a potato leaf dwarf. Details on those will be on the short and sweet project project thread and also on Northern Gardener. I’m growing it now, just germinating so we shall see how the F7 looks but it’s been gorgeous, very consistent from Teresa’s growouts all the way through F6. And it tastes great

KarenO

Last edited by KarenO; February 15, 2021 at 12:31 AM.
Old February 17, 2021   #8
Americangrams
Tomatovillian™

This project is so exciting to watch. And I hope sweet baby jade does well for you too.
Americangrams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2021   #9
hl2601
Tomatovillian™

I can't wait for all the goodies you will be releasing! Thanks for keeping us up to date with all your breeding projects. They really do inspire me!
hl2601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2021   #10
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

And the other group of my red and black cocktail cherry dwarfs. Some striped, some solid on potato leaf and RL plants. Lots more photos on Northern gardener under albums titled Multiflora cross. Some video as well.
Very productive plants. Smaller branching clusters that set well is my goal. F4 this year
KarenO
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F323FE76-F7EB-4CC0-9AE2-C6087EA7A879.jpg (159.3 KB, 247 views)
File Type: jpg 489125F2-39AA-4C11-B147-DF0978AD812E.jpg (295.0 KB, 246 views)

Last edited by KarenO; February 25, 2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old February 28, 2021   #11
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Always like your projects, Karen!

This plants on photo above looks like a PL cherry/saladette I always dream about to try. And multiflora habit is a great extra
All of your Karma PL cherry varieties with PL are great especially KARMA Purple MF. I've seet them on Jeff Casey (dokutaaguriin) new seed catalog of Casey's Heirloom Tomatoes.
The only one PL cherry type I knew before was Medovaya Kaplya I shared with Carolyn many years ago.
Hope you will introduce more PL cherries soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I Have some interesting new orange and gf orange tomatoes from a new breeding project and I just realized I didn’t post about this project here on Tomatoville last year.
There is an album of the F1 and F2 on my northern gardener page if interested so I’ll just start this thread with a few examples.
These are all on potato leaf plants. Here are A few examples of some very unstable small regular indeterminate and indeterminate dwarf plants. I have made a few selections up grow out this year and will post updates here as well as on my NorthernGardenerCanada Facebook page and Instagram. Please feel welcome to follow there as well if you like.
https://m.facebook.com/NorthernGardenerCanada/
KarenO

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2021   #12
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Always like your projects, Karen!

This plants on photo above looks like a PL cherry/saladette I always dream about to try. And multiflora habit is a great extra
All of your Karma PL cherry varieties with PL are great especially KARMA Purple MF. I've seet them on Jeff Casey (dokutaaguriin) new seed catalog of Casey's Heirloom Tomatoes.
The only one PL cherry type I knew before was Medovaya Kaplya I shared with Carolyn many years ago.
Hope you will introduce more PL cherries soon
Thank you Andrey, I’m glad you like potato leaf plants too. I am still working with potato leaf plant quite a lot as I’ve always liked them. That productive cocktail cherry shown that you mentioned is also a dwarf plant. So dwarf, Multiflora and potato leaf. They are showing some promise going to F4 and so you can be sure I will have more potato leaf plants to release as time goes by

I wish you a great season!
KarenO
Old March 1, 2021   #13
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks) If you need some varieties with a certain features from my part of the world for your cross experiments, just let me know. It is even not late to send you something for this growing season)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Old March 1, 2021   #14
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Thanks) If you need some varieties with a certain features from my part of the world for your cross experiments, just let me know. It is even not late to send you something for this growing season)
How kind of you to offer Andrey. Do you have all of the ones released so far?

KarenO
Old March 1, 2021   #15
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
How kind of you to offer Andrey. Do you have all of the ones released so far?

KarenO
No? I have no your Karen series seeds) Just PM me and we dicide what could be useful for you for crosses and just for trial.

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR