Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 26, 2021   #1
Evan Lewis
Tomatovillian™

Default Grafing...Why?

Hello!

I hope everyone's weekend was relaxing.

So I cam across a post on a random FB group about grafting.

What are the benefits for grafting? Does it pass down protection or functionality to the next generation?

Are there any cons to grafting?

Best,
EL
Evan Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2021   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Way too much work for a lazy gardener like me. Seems like the most grafting takes place in the southern part of the country...is this correct? And does it have to do with all the diseases prevalent there compared to the places with harsher winters? Or is it just fun?
Old July 27, 2021   #3
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Makes a big difference in terms of soil diseases. That's the biggest benefit for the home gardener. For the pro, the advantages are more, like long season vigor, in the end they save money by keeping the same plant longer.
For cucumbers the advantages are insane, a neighbor bought some plants and had english cucumbers producing at the beginning of june, outside, after the coldest may in history, my (also hybrid) plants were still at the second leaf stage frozen in time.

For eggplant, again, in climate that is borderline adequate, will make a huge difference.

Look at the leaf of this grafted pepper, normally it was 5-6 cm long, I've grown it two years.

Look at the jumbo fruit of an asian eggplant grafted on just a normal tomato, not the super vigorous interspecific hybrids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2656r.jpg (105.2 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2727rr.jpg (118.5 KB, 31 views)
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote