Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 24, 2007   #1
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

Default removing leafs

by transplanting your plants deeply, the true leafs come closer to the ground and by now it is turning into a bushy forest down there. I wasn't able to hold me back and I went on removing some leafs already.
I always heard you should remove all the leafs below the first fruits. Fruits is setting well, but may it be too soon still ?
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2007   #2
johno
Tomatovillian™

For what it's worth, I like to let the plants get larger (hip high, at least, with plants that get big) before I start removing the lower leaves. They need those leaves to generate energy when they are young.

Another reason I'm hesitant to remove leaves is that I don't like the idea of open wounds on young plants in such a germy environment as Mother Nature provides.

As the plants reach a size and age that the lower leaves won't be missed, I do prune the lower foliage to increase air circulation. At this point in development it seems that lack of air circulation becomes more of a disease factor than a few open wounds which heal quickly.
johno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007   #3
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by johno View Post
As the plants reach a size and age that the lower leaves won't be missed, I do prune the lower foliage to increase air circulation. At this point in development it seems that lack of air circulation becomes more of a disease factor than a few open wounds which heal quickly.
I second John's approach/rationale. That's pretty much what I like to do with my plants when I have time to keep them cleaned up.
Suze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007   #4
the999bbq
Tomatovillian™

I reckon that having more than one cluster of flowers, and having already some tomatoes formed can be seen as 'reached certain size and age) - maybe I should start a comparative research experiment next season varying times of de-leafication
the999bbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29, 2007   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

Another take on it. I don't have a problem removing leaves at anytime. I cut them as I plant if they're going to lay on the soil as I don't want them coming into contact with any soil borne disease. Any suckers can be removed, trimmed and stuck in potting mix and grown into another plant which is a good way to have late season plants for those with a long enough growing season. I also spray with daconil type spray soon after plants are planted.