Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 28, 2007   #1
lakeshorenc
Tomatovillian™

Default Husky Gold

I was wondering about the Husky Gold tomato. I had one about 8 years ago and remember it fondly because it was the first time I found out tomatoes came in other colors besides red. I remember them being better than the red ones I was growing at that time.Which were probably better boys. I've since moved on to heirlooms but I always look for the Huskey gold when I'm at a garden center but haven seen any since. Just wanted to know what ya'll think about it. Taste, hardiness, etc. Thanks, Theresa
lakeshorenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2007   #2
lakeshorenc
Tomatovillian™

I am having as much luck here as I do at the garden centers. Oh well, on GW somebody wrote they were toughed skinned and not that good so I'm gonna let the dream just die. Thanks, Theresa
lakeshorenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2007   #3
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Theresa, I think that the Husky series of hybrids was an attempt by breeders to create more disease tolerant (and profitable!) dwarf varieties, since the description of the Huskies matches pretty well the various few dwarf types that we discuss here now and then. In the cross-hemisphere dwarf breeding project that you can find discussed in the R&D threads, we are actually working toward developing dwarf tomatoes with good flavors, of good size, and different colors.

You should start with Golden Dwarf Champion and see how well it compares in flavor (if not color) to Husky Gold.
Old June 3, 2007   #4
JimM_SC
Tomatovillian™

Theresa, TotallyTomatoes carries HuskyGold. URL is Totallytomato.com. Note there is no 'es' You can check out TT in the Seed Sources forum. I've not grown the Gold, but the RED is a sturdy prolific little plant.
Jim
JimM_SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2007   #5
cecilsgarden1958
Tomatovillian™

Theresa, that description is standard for all the Husky tomatoes, although, I am trying one Husky Gold this year. Last year, I had Carolina Gold, a type of Husky Gold, I believe. It was much better then Husky Gold. I found my Husky Gold in a tiny roadside stand, sponsered by a greenhouse.

CECIL
Old June 4, 2007   #6
bugsy
Tomatovillian™

I don't know about NC, but here in California, I can always get plants for it. My horticulture student friend swears this is still his favorite tomato.
bugsy is offline   Reply With Quote