Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old July 24, 2007   #1
tjg911
Tomatovillian™

Default All Blue - excellent keeper

I commented on this in someone's thread but this is a few weeks or month and a half later so it's even more amazing.

I grew All Blue potatoes last season. I let the vines die and then I dug them. I have it recorded at home (so I am guessing here) and I dug them about mid August. I'm pretty sure about that because I needed the space for kale and broccoli for fall.

I had 7 left in the fridge over the weekend and they are still in excellent condition - no sprouting, they are not sweet, still hard too. I cooked 4 of them and they were great, 3 are left.

All Blue is an excellent keeper! I've grown 8-10 different varieties (red, yellow, white but no bakers usually all purpose) and without a doubt this variety out stores them all by double. Yukon Gold keeps really well too but after 5 or 6 months they get sweet.

Tom
tjg911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2007   #2
lavandula girl
Tomatovillian™

I totally agree, Tom. We love the All Blue at our house for sure. I'd suggest Cranberry Red as a good producer as well. These are the 2 that will make it back into my garden next year. I grew King Harry, but was disappointed in the yield - the potatoes were great, but the Reds outproduced them. I think I'll go back to Carola for a light color fleshed potato. I also grew Russian Banana fingerlings, but have decided that the fingerlings are no better than new potatoes, so I'm going to grow a full sized potato next year instead.
Old August 7, 2007   #3
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Tom & Lavandula
My post may be slightly off topic and if so please accept my apology for intruding on this thread. I have a question. Are the Blue and Black Potatoes the same? My wife,yesterday, harvested more than a half bushel of Black Potato's. These are Black inside and out and are about the size of Russet potato's. To see the number of Potato's that grew from the 3 small potatos that were given her was amazing.
Old August 7, 2007   #4
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

Correction
Black Potato is really Dark Purple when looked at in Sunlight. Another reply,via e-mail, suggested I look at the potato's in the sun and suggested it will appear dark Purple.