Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a great invention to help with gardening? Are you the self-reliant type that prefers Building It Yourself vs. buying it? Share and discuss your ideas and projects with other members.

Old April 7, 2014   #241
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by lexusnexus View Post
What is the volume of growing medium needed to fill each unit?

Thanks,

Dan
Dan,

The 31 gallon EarthTainer (with wicking basket) consumes approx 3 cubic feet of grow media.

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #242
lexusnexus
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, I knew that 31 gallon takes over 4 cu ft but didn't know how much volume would be needed when the interior was modified. I am still a little concerned about the overall price. I figure each tub is appr $15, plus another $5-$10 for miscellaneous supplies, and another $35-$45 for growing medium. $50-$60 per container is a little steep for me. Are my calculations off?

Dan
Old April 8, 2014   #243
FISHINNUT
Tomatovillian™

I'm going on my second year using the earthtainers. How do I restart them? Will water wicking process occur immediately? Should I empty and start from the beginning?
FISHINNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #244
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Dan,

The intent of the EarthTainer was never intended as a cheap knock-off of the EarthBox - there are plenty of these designs floating around the Internet. This design will last many years - and considering the labor you invest in it's construction, the extra cost of durable materials is worth it to many folks.

Instead, the goal was to give "Urban Farmers" a vessel to grow gardens on a balcony, decks, etc where in-ground planting was not an option.

Fishinnut - follow the planting guide section of the Construction Manual.

Raybo
Old April 8, 2014   #245
gturmindright
Tomatovillian™

Its the Cadillac of SWCs eh?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk
gturmindright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2014   #246
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

I would rather think of it as the "BMW of SWCs" for those who want to grow very large plants, have a detachable rigid cage system, won't tip over even in high wind, a water interval every several days to a week, and no weeds ever!

Raybo
Old April 9, 2014   #247
gturmindright
Tomatovillian™

I would like to use welded fence in a rectangular shape resting on the ground around the container impermanently fastened to the container with zip ties. Feasible?

gturmindright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2014   #248
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Yes, this will work. Sounds like you could grow Watermellons on it.

Just make sure you can access the filler tube for water refill.

Raybo
Old May 20, 2014   #249
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I hope this isn't too off topic, but, it's related to earthtainers. I changed out the grow media completely in my oldest tainers and 50% in my newer ones this off season. The tainers are 12 for 12 on fruit set (6 tainers, 2 each) with tremendous numbers of fruit set on most varieties. I'm so pumped for this season!! So far, a few sun golds and black cherry's have ripened and I can't wait to see what large variety wins the ripening race.

There are several factors that no doubt contributed to this great start to the season, but, I think new grow media is one. It was some work and cost to empty the tainers, clean out the water uptake and change out the media, but, definitely consider doing this if you haven't.

The primary others factors are extended cooler spring temps. We may get to 90 today, and if so, it will be the first time to do so since May 5, when we had 2 hot days (shortly after going down to 42 in May!!) Add cool nights in the 60s and constant breezes and humans and tomatoes are loving it! Finally, I've been adding 2 TBSP of Texas Tomato food (actually their veggie food up until this last time) every 3rd water refill. Whatever the reasons, the season is off to a roaring start, which is critical since our spring season is typically extremely short.

I must add that my tainers are kicking the tails of the tomatoes in the ground. The soil tomato plants are huge, lush, and bloom covered, but, have no where near the fruit set of the tainer tomatoes. What began as a necessity (I first built tainers because foundation work destroyed my gardens one summer) has turned out to be a huge blessing and a permanent fixture of my tomato gardens. Thanks Raybo!

Dewayne Mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014   #250
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Deyawne,

Thanks. It has been a fun experiment, glad the EarthTainers are doing great for you this Season. For reference, I have slightly updated the Guide. Nothing major - just some updated post-season recommendations.

Raybo
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EarthTainer 3.9 May 15, 2014 FINAL.pdf (1.97 MB, 78 views)
Old May 20, 2014   #251
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gturmindright View Post
I would like to use welded fence in a rectangular shape resting on the ground around the container impermanently fastened to the container with zip ties. Feasible?

I came up with this idea using galvanized cattle panel. I think it's going to work fine and can be taken down for cleanup if needed.

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=32435

Last edited by Jaysan; May 20, 2014 at 12:18 PM.
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014   #252
Jaysan
Tomatovillian™

I switched over to all SWCs this year. I tried some last year in comparison to regular containers and the SWCs made it plain that was the way to go.

Ray I wanted to ask a couple of questions, how do you fertilize your snow peas and do you put your fertilizer in knee highs as some do?

I am trying the knee highs this year. Should make removing the old fert a breeze but I am hoping the plants will still get enough fertilizer.

Thanks!
Jaysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2014   #253
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Jaysan,

Just use the central fertilizer strip as per the Guide, then plant the pea seeds along 2 outer rows of the container. Be sure to use trellis netting to give them a vertical channel to grow thru.

Raybo
Old June 5, 2014   #254
Csross
Tomatovillian™

Ray: In the Inntainer guide, you talk about covering the top of the 'Tainer with aluminum foil, which would also "reflect light up to the underside of the leaves." What's the benefit of this? And have you tried this outdoors?

I live in a very hot, sunny climate, where we don't get any summer rain. I'm thinking that wrapping the top and sides of the 'Tainer would have a couple of benefits:
1. Protect the plastic from UV rays, giving it a longer lifespan.
2. Keep the soil cooler.
3. Prevent any algae from growing in the reservoir.
4. Reflect sunlight up to the bottom sides of the leaves.

Any thoughts? Thanks.
-Chris
Csross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5, 2014   #255
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Chris,

The "theory" is that the foil reflects light up to the underside of the leaves thus confusing the bugs.....

If you get the light color Centex totes at Lowes, There is no need to wrap the sidewalls in foil, as they have a lifetime guarantee. I had not had a single one deteriorate due to uV. Also, the reflections of the Sun off of the foil would drive me (or your neighbors) nuts.

Raybo