Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 17, 2016   #1
Fert1
Tomatovillian™

Default Black Brandywine

Has anyone here ever grown Black Brandywine before. If so, what did you think of it? Did it have good flavor and production? In trying to research it, I've learned that there is a lot of BS regarding its history. I just want to know about quality.
Old April 17, 2016   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I ordered it from Morgan County Seed about four years ago. It tasted the way a sweaty horse smells. But someone else on here just said that they grew it next to Cherokee Purple, and it was sweeter. That makes me think that there is probably more than one Black Brandywine out there.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2016   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Why is it called " black BRANDYINE" ? is any of its parents as one of the many Brandywines ?

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2016   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fert1 View Post
Has anyone here ever grown Black Brandywine before. If so, what did you think of it? Did it have good flavor and production? In trying to research it, I've learned that there is a lot of BS regarding its history. I just want to know about quality.
There are two so called Black Brandywines.

One is called TRUE BlackBrandywine is in the Legacy Forum and I fetched the link

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=7749

You can see from the comments that not everyone belived what the parents were,or much else,it was bred by William Woys Weaver,whom many of us know.But I think most who grow it like it despite the controversy,but they wouldn't know about that anyway.

The second so called Black Brandywine was an accidental cross in the growing fields at Seeds by Design in CA where Linda Sapp, who owns TGS,at the time was contracting for seed production.She offered it for a very short time since it soon became clear that there were two kinds of plants.One looked a lot like Black from Tula and the other one was descibed as being a bag of seeds. Linda deleted it from the next year's offerings.

Unfortunately I think THIS so called Black Brandywine is still around.

I thought I'd see what Tania had to say about this situation so I fetched the link and she says pretty much the same as I just said.

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...ndywine,_Black

Hope that helps,

Carolyn