Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 9, 2014   #436
JiminNJ
Tomatovillian™

I got mine off of E-bay, I think it was around $25 shipped.
Worth every penny.

One on E-bay now $33.31 shipped

Last edited by JiminNJ; July 9, 2014 at 01:08 AM.
JiminNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2014   #437
billbird2111
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn's book opened up a brand new world for me. Can't remember what I paid for it, but I know my copy is at least ten years old. During those ten years, I've tried most if not all of the varieties she profiled.

I've since branched off and away from the varieties in the book. It gets old growing the same old thing, year after year after year. Time to try something different.

But the bottom line is Carolyn's writings inspired me a great deal. I started asking questions. I started experimenting in the garden. I grow all my plants from seed now.

It's my hope that Carolyn's book will inspire a new generation of tomato growers -- just as it inspired me.
Old July 11, 2014   #438
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

Came in today, purchased used on Amazon. Like new.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0882.JPG (193.5 KB, 211 views)
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014   #439
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

With Carolyn's book going for such and outrageous price why is it not in print or going into a reprint?

Can anyone tell me when the copyright expires on it?
With the resent boom in gardening which I see getting even bigger just about any book would sell.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2014   #440
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
With Carolyn's book going for such and outrageous price why is it not in print or going into a reprint?

Can anyone tell me when the copyright expires on it?
With the resent boom in gardening which I see getting even bigger just about any book would sell.

Worth
Worth, it was reprinted once without my knowing about it b'c I would have changed the suggestged seed vendors and corrected just a few minor mistakes.

Quite a few have suggested that I consider having it converted to an electronic version, but I'm not up to that.

I just looked at my book and the text copyright is held by Smith and Hawken and the picture copyright by Frank Ionnotti and no e-version can be done without the permission of Smith and Hawken.

I had a signed contract but don't know where that contract is now, but it doesn't matter since I'm not going to do anything more with it.

Quite a few have suggested I write another book just on my chosen tomato histories, no pictures since I no longer can grow plants for photography and I insist on any pictures in any book I might write be grown by me.

Carolyn
Old July 12, 2014   #441
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Default News Flash

(((((News Flash)))))) Taken completely out of context, Carolyn says she might be writing another book on growing tomatoes.
No seriously I can see where you would want them to be pictures of tomatoes YOU grew and not someone else.

But in today's world a book without fancy glossy pictures when it comes to such matters would be a hard sell.

I knew a guy that almost refused to buy a rifle scope in a catalog because the thing had no fancy pictures even though it was $200 less.

I told him it is the same scope, they are cheaper because they dont put out fancy catalogs with glossy pictures all of the time.

One company is for people who know what they want.
The other is one that tries to get you to buy something.

Worth
Old August 5, 2014   #442
CamuMahubah
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Worth, it was reprinted once without my knowing about it b'c I would have changed the suggestged seed vendors and corrected just a few minor mistakes.

Quite a few have suggested that I consider having it converted to an electronic version, but I'm not up to that.

I just looked at my book and the text copyright is held by Smith and Hawken and the picture copyright by Frank Ionnotti and no e-version can be done without the permission of Smith and Hawken.

I had a signed contract but don't know where that contract is now, but it doesn't matter since I'm not going to do anything more with it.

Quite a few have suggested I write another book just on my chosen tomato histories, no pictures since I no longer can grow plants for photography and I insist on any pictures in any book I might write be grown by me.

Carolyn
CamuMahubah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 10, 2014   #443
budfaux
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, sorry to be late in complimenting you on your fantastic book!
I've purposely just skimmed some portions while concentrating on others.
My plan is to become fully immersed in your book when "the winds of Thor are blowing cold."
Your book will provide great therapy for me during the gray winter months.
budfaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2014   #444
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Default New story of Carolyn's Book

http://www.timesunion.com/living/art...374.php#page-1
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2014   #445
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FILMNET View Post
Thanks Steve, and I'm going to link to it as well in General Discussion where more folks will see it and I can describe a bit of the background stuff that went on, more specifically at the end of the article my e-mail was posted, yes, Jennifer and I had discussed doing it, my suggestion, and it was only for folks who had seeds of a family heirloom to share and I in return would send some seeds back.

I thought the article was going to be published next Thursday but first thing this AM I get an e-mail, well,I'll describe what the person wanted when I post it in General Discussion.

I have to be careful since the link to Tville was also in the article, in terms of what I say here.

So I ASAP went to the TU webpage and pulled off the link.

How did you find out about it?

And I ask b'c the Albany Times Union does have a large circul ation area, but not down to SC, is it, where you are.

Carolyn
Old August 14, 2014   #446
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn, someone posted this on my Facebook page, i will look for it soon. Some garden website?
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2014   #447
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Carolyn, The article says you are 75. Did I miss your birthday?!!! So sorry if I did. Well, your present I promised you will be late of course then. But I'm sure you don't mind as long as it gets right?
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14, 2014   #448
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Carolyn, The article says you are 75. Did I miss your birthday?!!! So sorry if I did. Well, your present I promised you will be late of course then. But I'm sure you don't mind as long as it gets right?
Remy
June 26th me thinks.
worth
Old August 14, 2014   #449
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Thanks, Worth. It makes sense now. I wasn't on here much then.

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13, 2014   #450
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Amazon has several used copies for under $10 for those still trying to find a copy.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote