Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 22, 2015   #751
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barb_FL View Post
not me Larry; I don't bother with potatoes either though.

Marsha - have you picked your mangoes yet? We picked 2; nice and pink but like rocks. They weighed 1 lb 10 oz and almost 2 lbs. They are beautiful as well as the rest on the tree.
Some critter is helping itself to my beautiful mangoes. I have been picking some of the larger ones green, letting them ripen in a paper bag. They are so good! Harvested a pineapple 2 days ago, and been getting several starfruit. I hope that critter goes away( really I hope it DIES)
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2015   #752
Zone9b
Tomatovillian™

Do squirrels eat Mangoes. They surely like to help themselves to tomatoes. Often they take one or two bites then leave the rest, which I won't eat. I think I may buy a couple of traps then if I have success I can move them far enough that they eat someone else's tomatoes.
Zone9b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #753
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zone9b View Post
Do squirrels eat Mangoes. They surely like to help themselves to tomatoes. Often they take one or two bites then leave the rest, which I won't eat. I think I may buy a couple of traps then if I have success I can move them far enough that they eat someone else's tomatoes.
Yes, squirrels, birds, but whatever this is, it's nocturnal. I suspected a rat, but I have caught many in the live trap baited with peanut butter and bananas. Either this rat doesn't like that as much as mangoes, or its a possum. DH is going to set out the infrared camera to see. It's driving me crazy!
Old June 23, 2015   #754
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

My bet it is a rat. We have tons of squirrels and I haven't seen any missing fruit b/c of them.

Not fond of either, but I absolutely HATE rats. Reason why I don't have rabbits anymore; I would see the rats eating the rabbit food. Gross!

Just don't kill snakes you see in the yard; they eat the rats.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #755
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
My bet it is a rat. We have tons of squirrels and I haven't seen any missing fruit b/c of them.

Not fond of either, but I absolutely HATE rats. Reason why I don't have rabbits anymore; I would see the rats eating the rabbit food. Gross!

Just don't kill snakes you see in the yard; they eat the rats.
I wish I had snakes here. No such luck.
Old June 23, 2015   #756
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Default Florida-TAG 2015

Do any of the readers of this thread want to attend a plant swap in mid October? I get a ton of locals, over 100 people came and went, but I know most of you live too far. I do have a gal from Plant City that comes every year. This year she is having a cheese making demo, last year she showed us how to make home made soap.
Just curious! I wont be at all offended if you can't.
Old June 23, 2015   #757
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I wish it were not so far away because I know it would a fun event.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2015   #758
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I wish it were not so far away because I know it would a fun event.
I wish it were closer to you too! There are many S. Fl. Master Gardeners who attend, so I know you would have had a good time.
But you do live far.
Old June 23, 2015   #759
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I would really like to come. I want to see 43 EBs...haha.

I was thinking that if Ginny is back, we could meet up on I-95 and drive down together. It would be so cool to physically meet people we converse with.

Ginny is about 55 miles north of me; maybe less on I-95; Kay - if it works out, you could meet Ginny - you are probably 2 hours north of her. We all have each others address so we can mapquest the driving time to meet up.

Marsha - I use to take my DD to compete in tennis tournaments throughout Florida so have been to Plantation many times. I really hate driving in S. FL.

I also have a local gardening friend who I could ask.

Do you know when the date is? DH is going to hike a section of the AT (Georgia) in October ; hopefully later than TAG. His start date is firm, but he will have the best car with him. I think his start date is after October 20.

Going to look when you had it last year.
Old June 23, 2015   #760
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Did a little online retail therapy - found gallon Neptunes Harvest for $40... with free shipping if spending $49+, plus a !0% off code (SITEWIDE) - bought NH crab shells to up the total (suppose to work well for nematodes and Ginny planted in the shells w/ no nematode roots)... site was - http://www.mynaturalmarket.com/advan...ies=us&x=0&y=0

will keep you posted re: their service. Sales tax was charged, so that ate part of the discount.
Just wanted to mention I received my order already. Quick shipping, excellent packaging - The crab shells were shipped in another box with lots of wrapping paper, the 1 gallon NH was totally bubble wrapped and then bagged. Shipping cartons were the right size so no slipping around.

If you need NH products and can't find them locally, highly recommend - much better prices than Amazon.
Old June 24, 2015   #761
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I would really like to come. I want to see 43 EBs...haha.

I was thinking that if Ginny is back, we could meet up on I-95 and drive down together. It would be so cool to physically meet people we converse with.

Ginny is about 55 miles north of me; maybe less on I-95; Kay - if it works out, you could meet Ginny - you are probably 2 hours north of her. We all have each others address so we can mapquest the driving time to meet up.

Marsha - I use to take my DD to compete in tennis tournaments throughout Florida so have been to Plantation many times. I really hate driving in S. FL.

I also have a local gardening friend who I could ask.

Do you know when the date is? DH is going to hike a section of the AT (Georgia) in October ; hopefully later than TAG. His start date is firm, but he will have the best car with him. I think his start date is after October 20.

Going to look when you had it last year.
I haven't set a firm date yet. Last year it was the second Saturday in October. I think we have a better chance of the first cold front moving through to cool it off a bit if we wait until third or fourth Sat, but not a priority. If you guys can work it out, I can set a convenient date for you.
I dont mind driving in Plantation and Broward County in general, I hate driving in Miami with a passion.
Old June 27, 2015   #762
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Mangoes about 3 weeks from harvest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (341.1 KB, 51 views)
Old June 27, 2015   #763
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

A starfruit from previous bloom, almost ready for harvest. They have been wonderful!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (217.8 KB, 51 views)
Old June 27, 2015   #764
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Starfruit tree just loaded with blossoms for the next round. See the babies?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (245.9 KB, 51 views)
Old June 27, 2015   #765
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Marizol Korney set 5 fruits in the summer heat! It is shaded by a large tree.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (205.8 KB, 51 views)