Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 5, 2014   #16
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Excellent work. What I would just love to see would come from the academic/scientific community such as the work done at UC-Davis in terms of identifying the flavor components that create "tomato" flavor. This would constitute far more that just BRIX testing, i.e. minerals, et. al..
What identifiable markers make are to be found in tomato flavor and to what extent are they found in the various "best" varieties. This would go a long way in identifying and defining flavor condaystituents and what makes a great tomato flavor. Too rather than "subjective" indicators of flavor, it would help in future breeding programs. In grapes, each identifiable marker is carefully measured and tracked in both breeding and blending.
For example, as a total novice, I taste tested tow totally different tomatoes yesterday and there was remarkably little difference, but just the slightest addition of sodium chloride and they became something else entirely. I can't help but wonder what, beyond BRIX and salt, makes one tomato so different from another. I am NOT a scientist, but would guess that here is a wide range of other chemical components that could be identified as that which make one "best" tomato so different from another in terms of compounds that could be isolated and identified.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #17
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Two of my favorites (beside Kelloggs Breakfast, my all time favorite for flavor but not production) are from Kentucky, so they might do well for you. They are Kentucky Cabin and Kentucky Beefsteak Orange. Kentucky Cabin is yellow with a pink blossom end when ripe, similar to Summertime Gold on a full sized plant. Kentucky Beefsteak Orange is similar to KB but more productive in my garden and a bit earlier. Love the smooth velvety texture also.
While I love Juane Flamee, it seems to be diseased earlier than any other variety. I purchased new commercial seed this year to see if the problem was my saved seed. As an alternative, I have been growing AAA Sweet Solano, an incredibly beautiful tasty tomato with less problems for me.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #18
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Speaking of Summertime Gold. That one should definitely be on this
list at the very top. It was always one of the best yellow/gold/orange
tomatoes tasted at Tomatopalooza[tm].
Production and performance in the south has also been excellent.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #19
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Folks, thanks for your comments. The reason for this work is to look at overall patterns in experience rather than single recommendations, and to see what the pattern looks like in my particular region, which is a tough place for tomatoes. I can generate results for other regions if anyone is interested. A case in point is Toms Yellow Wonder, which was written about extensively in 2006-2010, but which had mostly disappeared from posts by the time I joined. An unexpected discovery in this little analysis.

I think that this approach can be used as a business plan for someone who wants to market tomatoes.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #20
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Check out the Gleckler site on the yellows they offer below. A lot of the varieties listed were donated by TVillians when the company started back up and may throw more varieties in the mix than you have listed.

http://www.glecklerseedmen.com/Tomat...=173813&Page=1

Ami
Old July 5, 2014   #21
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Here is the full list of 97 recommended yellows from ALL posts for those interested. I know that some are not OP yellow/gold slicers, but I didn't go through them all to check.
7.69% KBX
7.29% Azochka
5.26% Aunt Gerdies Gold
3.64% Jaune Flamee
3.64% Lilian's Yellow Heirloom
3.24% Yellow Brandywine
3.24% Pork Chop
2.83% Kelloggs Breakfast
2.83% Toms Yellow Wonder
2.43% Caseys Pure Yellow
2.43% Dagma's Perfection
2.02% Dr Wyche
1.62% Dina
1.62% Elfie
1.62% Golden Queen
1.62% Hughs
1.62% Orange Minsk
1.62% Taxi
1.21% Amana Orange
1.21% Dwarf Summertime Gold
1.21% Earl of Edgecombe
1.21% Galinas Yellow
1.21% Golden Bison
1.21% Limmony
1.21% Little Lucky
1.21% Native Sun
1.21% Orange Heirloom
1.21% Orange-1
0.81% Djena Lee
0.81% Dwarf Mr Snow
0.81% Gold Medal
0.81% Korol Sibiri
0.81% Lemon Boy
0.81% Orange Strawberry
0.81% Sungella
0.81% Tangella
0.81% zolotoe serdtse
0.40% ananas
0.40% Angora Orange
0.40% Anna Banana Russian
0.40% Aunt Viney's Yellow
0.40% Aurega
0.40% Banjun Rumi
0.40% Beauty King
0.40% Caro Rich
0.40% Carolina Gold
0.40% Catwell
0.40% Cherokee Lemon
0.40% Cherokee Yellow
0.40% Choodo Sveta (a.k.a. World's Wonder, Limon-Liana)
0.40% Chuck's Yellow
0.40% Dakota Gold
0.40% Davids Ivory Pineapple
0.40% Dixie Golden Giant
0.40% Dwarf Blazing Beauty
0.40% Dwarf Sean's Yellow
0.40% Dwarf Summer Sunrise,
0.40% Dwarf Sweet Sue,
0.40% Elbe
0.40% Emmy
0.40% Gail
0.40% Garden Peach
0.40% Gaston
0.40% Gigant Limonnyi (wrong translated as Limmony)
0.40% Golden cherokee
0.40% Golden Monarch
0.40% Goldie
0.40% Hawaiian Pineapple
0.40% Homer's fike yellow oxheart
0.40% Ildi
0.40% Jubilee
0.40% Kentucky Beefsteak
0.40% Kentucky Cabin
0.40% Mandarin Cross
0.40% Manyel
0.40% Medovaya Kaplya
0.40% Ocharovanie
0.40% Orange 1
0.40% Orangina
0.40% Orlov Yellow
0.40% Potosi Yellow
0.40% Russian Persimmon
0.40% Sakharnyi Zheltyi
0.40% Shellenbergs Favorite
0.40% Stor Gul
0.40% Summertime Gold
0.40% Sweet Ozark Orange
0.40% Sweet Tangerine
0.40% T C Jones
0.40% Tasmanian Blushing Yellow
0.40% Tobolsk
0.40% Virginia Sweets
0.40% wapsipinicon peach
0.40% WI55 Gold
0.40% Yellow 1884 Pinkheart
0.40% Zheltyi Gigant
0.40% Zloty Ozarowsk
0.40% Zolotoy Zapas
Old July 5, 2014   #22
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Just amazing. I am truly in awe that you were able to isolate all of that information.

I did what amideutch said, and it reminded me to post about Coastal Pride Orange. I grew it for the first time last year and was very impressed. That dwarf plant probably put out more tomatoes than any other single plant in the garden. The fruit had an excellent flavor, 8 to 12 ounces, and it produced until frost. It was and is being grown in a 5 gallon bucket and is already loaded again this year. It is probably a couple of weeks from ripening it's first tomato. I know you are not looking for single recommendations, but this gem didn't even make the statistical cut.
Old July 5, 2014   #23
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for that, Nancy! I see in the Tomatobase that is is one of Dan McMurray's. Looks like one I'll have to try and see how it compares with some of our current Dwarf project tomatoes.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2014   #24
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

If this were repeated every year, I think the list would change. For example, the dwarfs are just now being widely grown. Ozark Sweet Orange is just in 2014 being grown by many of us. I think there would be some value in establishing changes over time.

I am not positing this approach in any way as a definitive list, because the method is not particularly scientific. It simply consolidates information that would otherwise take people many hours to try to understand, and so eases access to information, particularly for newcomers.
Old July 6, 2014   #25
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

There's an internet site that has reviews of many different varieties of tomatoes by members who have grown them all over the US. I often go there to see what people think of a particular variety. They have come up with a top ten list of heirlooms which, I think, are fun to grow.

It might be fun to do something like that here by having people vote for their favourites and have the top ten for each year kept as a sticky.

Just a thought.

Linda

Sorry. I put this on the wrong thread......

Last edited by Labradors2; July 6, 2014 at 10:54 AM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014   #26
Dutch
Tomatovillian™

A job well done and on one of my favorite subjects too.
Thanks Scott.
Dutch
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2014   #27
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I kind of like Labradors2's idea, voting for one's top tomatoes in each category for the past season. Many folks start thinking about seeds in December/January when a lot of the catalogs come out. I know every area of the country and world have different growing seasons, so the timing is a bit arbitrary. I remember from Tormato's seed exchange, coming up with a list of categories can also be problematic. Still, coming up with a list by voting could be very helpful to folks not wanting to wade through so much information and so many choices.

Last edited by nancyruhl; July 6, 2014 at 04:30 PM. Reason: ops, I think I am in the wrong thread, also.
Old July 6, 2014   #28
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Scott I have been weeding out poor performers down here for several years now. I only grow two yellow slicers now. I grow KBX in the spring and Dr. Wyches in the fall. KBX is my favorite for flavor of all the golds I have tried but it sometimes suffers when set out for a fall planting. Dr. Wyches seems to have the best disease resistance of all the golds or yellows I have grown but the flavor is not nearly as rich as KBX; but Dr. W is a true yellow slicer. Dr. Wyches also frequently makes the largest of all my fall tomatoes.

Once I tasted KBX I stopped looking for a great tasting gold tomato because I had found one.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 7, 2014   #29
dfollett
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
I kind of like Labradors2's idea, voting for one's top tomatoes in each category for the past season.... Still, coming up with a list by voting could be very helpful to folks not wanting to wade through so much information and so many choices.
I agree. Even though it would not be anything scientific, after a couple of years, it could be a tremendous resource - especially for folks new to the site. Results could easily be sorted by region, season length, etc.

Good work, Scott!
dfollett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2020   #30
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

In hindsight, 6 years later, I would add Cherokee Lemon to this list.