Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 7, 2018   #1996
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

About this time of year USUALLY I begin paying attention to the soil temps. Lately I have been planting to soil temperature along with air temp rather than air temp only. Some early seeds go in at lower temperatures but tomatoes and peppers I like to wait until 60s or even 70s.

The University soil temp areas are not far from my garden and I am the farthest right hand bottom number in the state map. It has to warm up a lot in the next two weeks for me to plant when I usually do.
Attached Images
File Type: png nsco_7daysoiltempave10cm.png (216.4 KB, 78 views)
Old April 7, 2018   #1997
Groundhog
Tomatovillian™

I'm glad I'm running behind this year. I'm about 20 miles north of Memphis and it was 33 with a wind chill of 22 this morning.
Groundhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #1998
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

It's noon, and the thermometer is reading 32F that's 0C. The tomato plants that I planted out in March look really bad. It was not supposed to get this cold. All the forecasters were saying it would be 42F. I was not able to get out there to cover them. Oh well, I knew it could happen.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #1999
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by salix View Post
Well, happy spring and almost April! Yesterday spent a lot of time shovelling a foot of wet, heavy snow that had drifted and packed. It is only -15 C now, and a nice sunny day, but overnight it got down to -23 C

I am so ready for some grass and warm weather...
Are those temps normal for this time of year?

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #2000
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

We just lost a major road to a landslide. Route 30 fell over a hill. Rain!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DaMVVlAW0AA_Sqo.jpg

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #2001
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
Be safe
Once I used to live in the tornado alley, MO, KS , OK , AR quad state area , in Joplin, MO to be exact. Some years later that town was devistated. By then I was no longer living there.
So I am featfull of tornados.
Talking about my local weather, can,t complain. Tomatoes, peppers, eggplant are planted out. I have one little worry : ie this coming Saturday night low will drop to 37F, per forecast. I can live with 37 provided it does not visit frost/freeze territory.
Gardeneer, I have lived in Joplin most of my life. I am glad you missed out on the tornado, it was truly devastating. I too tend to be on extreme high alert when things are forecast to get nasty and ready to "FREAKOUT" at a moments notice.

We got down to 23f this morning along with 1" of snow and ice. Hopefully this will be the last hurrah for this winter. I have some very young lettuce sprouted in a 30 gal container and my Weber Kettle top covers it almost perfectly. Looks like it survived.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #2002
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Had a beautiful warm week here, but today is dismal. Raining now and getting cold again with an expected freeze tonight.
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #2003
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post

Nan
Very scary, yikes!
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #2004
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nan_PA_6b View Post

Nan
oh wow oh wow. that is a problem. no fast fix on that at any point.
Old April 7, 2018   #2005
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

Yep, Rt. 30 is out for a long time. We aren't used to landslides here, but the rain has been so bad.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2018   #2006
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

We were at the hospital all day on tuesday with my mom when she was having a knee replacement and we kept watching the weather. the yellow across the state was huge on the radar. our creeks were over their banks. the fields were submerged a few roads were closed and we were at the edge of the yellow. I cant begin to imaging the rest of the southern area that was directly under it.
Old April 8, 2018   #2007
bower
Tomatovillian™

Went looking for spring "outlook" and surprised to find, the nasty spring weather was expected by Accuweather in outlook published February - not sure how well they did in all the US regions:
https://www.accuweather.com/en/.../2...to.../70004044
https://www.accuweather.com/en/weath...tlook/70004221

Canadian outlook says we should have above average warmth on the east coast.. guess I can hope for the remainder of "spring". Great Lakes area, not so good forecast.
Sorry the links don't work - try google accuweather spring 2018 outlook if you want to read em.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #2008
edweather
Tomatovillian™

I truly feel for all you northerly folks. We lived in cold Z5 for 30 years. Nothing worse than feeling ripped off of a month of spring weather. The warm months were so precious, I got in a bad mood all summer if we had a cold April and/or May. I dreaded moving to GA in 2016, leaving old friends, but have to admit the warmer winters are nice. Early/shorter tomato season here, but it's fun to be able to grow citrus now.

Last edited by edweather; April 8, 2018 at 08:37 AM.
edweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #2009
bigpinks
Tomatovillian™

50s Mon and Tues and then full sun and 72 and 80 the next two days. I have a purchased C Purple in a gal container that I broke the growing tip out of but it is suckering out great in and outside.
bigpinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2018   #2010
imp
Tomatovillian™

If, big if LOL, the weather holds without any more freezes or frosts, this next 2 weeks, I may be planting out potatoes, peas and tomatoes in the same 30 day time frame. The tomatoes will hold until I am sure enough of the weather and the ground temps.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote