Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old May 29, 2012   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default Overwhelmed by choices for my hot weather garden-

So, getting ready to plant my hot weather garden. I have a bunch of southern peas. Pigott Family Heirloom, Red Ripper, White Whipporwill and Pink Eyes. Id like to try some limas, maybe King of the Garden or Calico? Finally, i have red long beans and asparagus beans. The long beans are a must have, they do well here and replace green beans, which I haven't had luck with. I also have some tepary beans, although I think the variety (gray speckled) is not good for the low desert, not as heat resistant as some.
I also want to plant Armenian cucumbers. We love cucumbers and regular cukes don't do well in heat. A little okra for pickling and some squash. Maybe cushaw, lemon and costata romenesco for squash?
I already have trombocino planted.
Finally, I could plant some muskmelons. I have some banana melon and I may have some Crenshaw. We do love melon but can get melon locally pretty cheap and good.
Temps in June, July and August can be as high as 115-120. We had two weeks of sustained temps >115 twice last summer with lows in the 90s.
Anything else will not grow. These are the things that can be planted for June.
I have a full sun and another with a lot of shade. Both are 16x8 in size. I'm not sure which beans or squash can tolerate shade. Sometimes our shade can be so hot as to allow plants unable to produce in shade in other climates to do well, other times not so much. I would call this shade bright shade.
How would you go about planning these two spaces for the summer? For some reason, I'm overwhelmed and can't decide.
I would like a lot of food, to reduce food eaten from the store. Don't want poor producers. We can only eat so much squash.
Thanks for the help!
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #2
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

In the pea family, I'm a huge fan of the purple hull as well as crowders. They both laugh at hot weather too. Not sure about pinto beans and your weather, but fresh ones are 100% better than the dried reconstituted version served virtually everywhere that serves em. Quite delicious fresh.

What about peppers?

Way to embrace your surroundings which are not friendly to most living things!

Dewayne mater
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #3
CinnamintStick
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried Okra and Eggplant? I found watermelon growing wild near a leaky hose last year. It was ready to pick and I never knew it was there.
CinnamintStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #4
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

I'd try planting the beans in the more shady plot. You might want to consider trying "rattlesnake" pole beans in the future...they have been known to take some heat in the deep South.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #5
OneDahlia
Tomatovillian™

I had pole beans do OK in bright shade last year. Nothing else I tried wanted to grow there.
OneDahlia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 30, 2012   #6
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
In the pea family, I'm a huge fan of the purple hull as well as crowders. They both laugh at hot weather too. Not sure about pinto beans and your weather, but fresh ones are 100% better than the dried reconstituted version served virtually everywhere that serves em. Quite delicious fresh.

What about peppers?

Dewayne mater
I have lots of peppers and eggplants already planted.
Good to know about pintos. Didn't know they were that much better. Hadn't thought about them since they are a bush bean and take more room.
Old May 30, 2012   #7
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustdevil View Post
I'd try planting the beans in the more shady plot. You might want to consider trying "rattlesnake" pole beans in the future...they have been known to take some heat in the deep South.
I have some rattlesnakes growing in a spot with a few hours of sun and they are doing well.
Plan to plant a longer row this fall, assuming we like them. They are the first "green bean" that has gotten to the point of actually blossoming for me here in AZ.
Old May 30, 2012   #8
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post

What about peppers?

Dewayne mater
Thanks, Dewayne!
Many people just pull everything up for June, July and August here. It's pretty brutal. But, I've found a few things that do well. That's why it's worth planting. So, now I just need to make these tough decisions.
I've not had much luck with melons in the past but my dirt is much better now.
Anybody tried the Whipporwill pea? Or Piggott heirloom?
I think I'll try the peas in the bright shade. A couple of zukea and cukes in bothe shade and sun. ( armenian cukes) Maybe put a few in full sun. Then, melons, okra, long beams in full sun. I have a trellis ready for the long beans. I could do some bush beans or the tepary beans in full sun as well, if I have room.
Maybe 10 okra plants. Should they be on the south or west side to provide some shade?
Old May 30, 2012   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I nearly forgot! I also have tomatillos planted. I'll add more this fall. Will also add more artichokes in the fall.
Just have to get through the summer.
Sweet potatoes died in a heat wave of 108 the day after planting the slips. I'm getting new slips sent when I get back from vacation in a week.
Tomorrow and Friday- 108-112 in the forecast. This summer looks to be hotter than last.
I'm hoping hubby gets a job in a mountain state, maybe zone 6 next year!
Old May 30, 2012   #10
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinnamintStick View Post
Have you tried Okra and Eggplant? I found watermelon growing wild near a leaky hose last year. It was ready to pick and I never knew it was there.
I actually think I have some volunteer watermelon growing in one of my pepper gardens. At least, that's the only thing I can figure that they are. Some sort of vine with leaves that look like watermelons.
Old May 31, 2012   #11
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

As a substitute for snap beans, hyacinth beans might make it. They love heat, although I don't know how much heat. The purple-podded varieties have the best flavor, IMO, pretty similar to snaps when cooked.

A conversation with Native Seeds/SEARCH might give you more leads, they specialize in vegetables for the Southwest.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2012   #12
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying some hyacinth beans. I planted them to grow up the back porch posts to attract humminbirds and for decoration until the jasmine takes off. I hadn't heard much about the flavor but will give it a try. They're jut starting to blossom and doing really well. Sure are pretty!
I have them climbing with Lady Margaret Passion Vines. Hoping the passionvines flower so that I can get a lovely combination of tropical flowers on the back porch.