Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 11, 2016   #61
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
Coal oil had a thousand and one uses around the farm.

Yesterday I sprayed some mixed with a little power steering fluid in some stuck rods on an old lathe.
Today they came right out.
Penetrating oil big time and cheap to boot.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #62
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

A 33 second video on permethrin treated clothing.

https://youtu.be/n_XvX9Hyrhw
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #63
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Oh!!!!! I am going to have to try this clothing dip idea, especially since the deer are all over the backyard and they are eating my passion vines like crazy and my blackberries. I have two right now that as bold as can be and will come munch in the middle of the afternoon.

With no killing frosts this past winter the ticks are terrible. I usually use Cutters or deep woods off and I don't know it just my body changing or they changed formula in cans this year, but I had bunch of like chem burns from the products all down front of my legs.

Hellmanns... How much of the stuff do you use? Does it keep the No-see-ums away too?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #64
dustdevil
Tomatovillian™

Wear protective mesh and snug fitting sunglasses under the mesh. I was attacked years ago and ended up with a swollen right eye and some oozing holes in my arms. It took about a week to heal and the swelling to go away. I've got some 100% Deet left from the militairy if I ever get real desperate. So far mesh, snug sunglasses, long sleeves and pants, and gloves work pretty good.
dustdevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2016   #65
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Oh!!!!! I am going to have to try this clothing dip idea, especially since the deer are all over the backyard and they are eating my passion vines like crazy and my blackberries. I have two right now that as bold as can be and will come munch in the middle of the afternoon.

With no killing frosts this past winter the ticks are terrible. I usually use Cutters or deep woods off and I don't know it just my body changing or they changed formula in cans this year, but I had bunch of like chem burns from the products all down front of my legs.

Hellmanns... How much of the stuff do you use? Does it keep the No-see-ums away too?
I use about an ounce of 10% in 2 gallons of water. I soak my pants for an hour or so and let them dry with the permethrin, then wash them before wearing them. Then the pants are good for the season, wash after wash. I have read permethrin is toxic to cats, and I have read some people are allergic to it. So try one garment, and if no problems, treat all of your outdoor clothing. There are several YouTube videos on the treatment process, and numerous web articles.

We have only had lone star ticks for a few years, and I'm highly allergic to them. A single bite will itch me for weeks, then fester and bleed for a month before leaving a scar. Never have I had any issues with the thousands of common dog tick bites I've had over my life.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote