Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old August 30, 2012   #1
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Default Need lettuce recommendation

We normally buy red leaf lettuce from the grocer and are happy with that. With this year's garden, we planted red leaf lettuce that we bought in 6-pack flats from the nearby nursery. I think it was called "Ruby Red Lettuce". They grew up very healthy and looked beautiful, but the truth is that when they were picked, they were pretty flimsy. If I was making a BLT, I'd need to stack them five or six deep to get any substance. They were so thin that even fresh and healthy off the plant, they really didn't seem crisp.

So I'm looking at Johnny's seeds, and he's got over a hundred listed. The descriptions aren't specific enough to be able to make a wise choice, so I'm hoping someone here can give me a recommendation. I'd like something that wouldn't be too different from what I'd find in the store, and that has some substance to it.

Also, with summer ending, can I put in new plants? When's a good time to plant? Is it already too late? I live a little south of Boston, MA.

Thanks for any help.
enchant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2012   #2
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

It's not exciting, but romaine is tasty, crispy and has pretty good structural rigidity right off the plant.

I dunno if it's technically a lettuce, but chard makes a good sandwich addition. At the right time, they'll fit on a piece of bread without any chopping and the stems are usually still tender enough to eat at that point.

It's never too late to plant lettuces, because you can eat them at any point in the growing process.
Old August 30, 2012   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I would suggest getting from Johnny's a couple of his blends so you can have a variety of cutting lettuces for your table. Thats what I do. I also buy his arugula and Jericho romaine, which are very good.
Old August 30, 2012   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

For red leaf, I had good luck with "new red fire." For green leaf, I like "green ice." Black-Seeded Simpson is a classic green leaf as well.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2012   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Red Sails is a good one.
Although Johnny's doesn't carry it, Rouge Grenobloise is excellent and is the last in my garden to bolt in the summer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rouge_-Grenobloise.jpg (254.2 KB, 28 views)
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2012   #6
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

i like red deer tounge and oak leaf i am planting a small bed of lettuce this weekend for late fall salads
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30, 2012   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Red Deer Tongue is one or my favorite red varieties also. Marvel of the Four Seasons is another good one.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2012   #8
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

I like the crisper texture of Batavia lettuces, Nevada is a green one I grow every year, Sierra has a reddish tinge, but seeds are harder to find.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2012   #9
enchant
Tomatovillian™

I'll probably buy a variety of seeds from Johnnys and see what I like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdvpc View Post
I would suggest getting from Johnny's a couple of his blends so you can have a variety of cutting lettuces for your table. Thats what I do. I also buy his arugula and Jericho romaine, which are very good.
Pardon my newbiness, but how does a blend work? They just mix a variety of seeds in the packet, right? Don't you plant lettuce like other plants - a few seeds in one spot, or do you scatter them around, as though your seeding a grass lawn?

Last edited by enchant; August 31, 2012 at 07:05 AM.
Old August 31, 2012   #10
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

The blend is a mix of seed. I use them in a hydroponic system, where I put 3-5 seed in a grow plug. I do the same for soil-start them in grow plugs with 3-5 seed then once germinated, place them in the containers.
Old August 31, 2012   #11
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

I'm not much of a fan of lettuce, and the using of space in my garden for it. However, when I do have a little bit of extra room, Italienischer is the only variety I'll plant.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2012   #12
stonysoilseeds
Tomatovillian™

he mix will give you an assortmen wihout having o buy each lettuce packet individually and you can plant the seed in beds and pick he leaves raher han the enire plant o have a wide color array echant
stonysoilseeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2012   #13
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the good info. I'm hoping for a good lettuce crop this year.
Old August 31, 2012   #14
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

If you like a variety that has a bit of crisp/crunch,ya cant go past any of the cos type lettuce which there are heaps of.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31, 2012   #15
plainolebill
Tomatovillian™

Kweik is a nice butterhead that's cold tolerant and tastes good. We planted some last fall and covered it with Reemay, it started sizing up nicely when the weather warmed a little in late winter/early fall. We've got one crop in now that will be ready in a few weeks then another to plant out for overwintering.
plainolebill is offline   Reply With Quote