Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old May 4, 2014   #1
Hermitian
BANNED

Default Socrates X3R Hybrid Bell Pepper

This is the first year I have grown this variety. The limbs are stout with a branching structure. It is a prolific bloomer and the fruit sets are growing at a pace that rivals Early Sensation. So far it is a winner for me.
Old May 4, 2014   #2
FlyingZ
Tomatovillian™

This is good to hear!! I planted quite a few of them this year based on the description from the seed company. I am also growing Hot Paper Lantern for the first time. Plan on making a pepper spray for animal deterrent like Donald did.
FlyingZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4, 2014   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Market gardeners speak highly of Socrates. I bought some seed for the first time this year.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It has been my main bell pepper for years. It is a fantastic producer of large thick walled peppers that ripen to a nice deep red. The biggest surprise I had with them was how large some of the plants would get in our long growing season. It is not unusual to get one well over 8 feet tall but 5 to 6 feet is normal. They produce fairly good in the early summer months then taper off some during the hottest months but come back like gangbusters in the fall with a really heavy crop and keep on producing til the cold kills them.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014   #5
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
This is the first year I have grown this variety. The limbs are stout with a branching structure. It is a prolific bloomer and the fruit sets are growing at a pace that rivals Early Sensation. So far it is a winner for me.
It is best not to let the first bloom set produce fruit if the plant is still small or it will not be as productive or as large later in the year. I usually pinch off any blooms til the plant gets about 18 inches tall so that the plant can better support the fruit and not be stunted by putting on fruit too soon. I usually let one or two plants produce early so I can have some early peppers but the plants tend to stay small after the first couple of peppers and take a long time to recover and they never match the ones that I cull the early blooms from.

Bill
Old May 24, 2014   #6
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

May have to try this variety. I am growing Karma F1 this year along with old CA Wonder (Never ending supply of those from work so I plant them but they are never impressive). Have you grown Red Knight F1?

Other recommendations for yellow and orange?

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #7
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
May have to try this variety. I am growing Karma F1 this year along with old CA Wonder (Never ending supply of those from work so I plant them but they are never impressive). Have you grown Red Knight F1?

Other recommendations for yellow and orange?
Red Knight F1 has been a productive, good tasting pepper for me and a favorite among my customers when I sold plants in years gone by.

This year I am trying Giant Szegedi which is proving to be a very productive, nuisance free plant.

For color and flavor, the Corno di Toro Red, Yellow, and Green are standards in my garden.
Old May 24, 2014   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I didn't know there was a green Corno di Toro. How does the red one compare to a marconi? I ended up losing all my Socrates bells, but I have Red Marconi, Giant Marconi, and a hybrid marconi type called Corno Verde. I had Planet Hybrid from Gurney's last year and loved it.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2014   #9
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I've tried the bullhorn types and didn't care for the thin wall since we use them for roasting for pestos and on grilled pizzas. Beautiful though.

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old May 24, 2014   #10
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I didn't know there was a green Corno di Toro. How does the red one compare to a marconi? I ended up losing all my Socrates bells, but I have Red Marconi, Giant Marconi, and a hybrid marconi type called Corno Verde. I had Planet Hybrid from Gurney's last year and loved it.
Sorry to hear about your Socrates bells. The Corno Verde hybrid -- that's what I was referring to as green Corno di Toro.
Old May 25, 2014   #11
frankbenjones
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
It has been my main bell pepper for years. It is a fantastic producer of large thick walled peppers that ripen to a nice deep red. The biggest surprise I had with them was how large some of the plants would get in our long growing season. It is not unusual to get one well over 8 feet tall but 5 to 6 feet is normal. They produce fairly good in the early summer months then taper off some during the hottest months but come back like gangbusters in the fall with a really heavy crop and keep on producing til the cold kills them.

Bill
How much do they spread? This sounds like I have to try growing it next year. Whats your recommended spacing?
frankbenjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4, 2014   #12
Hermitian
BANNED

Here in Vista CA (north coastal San Diego) the early fruits on my Socrates Bell have at least 50% blossom end rot. This is in comparison to almost nil on my other 15 varieties. They are all getting the same feeding regime that includes Calcium so I'm at a loss to explain the anomaly.
Old June 6, 2014   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I usually plant my bells about 3 ft apart because the plants end up getting so large. I don't know how they will grow in your climate but I would assume you have less humidity to deal with so they could be closer. I need air flow just like on tomatoes to reduce foliage diseases.

Hemitage, I have never seen blossom end rot on Socrates so there must be something off. I used to see it on bells occasionally before I started mulching them heavily so I assumed it was just uneven watering like with tomatoes. Despite the mulch I'm having some problems keeping my beds moist due to the heat and wind lately so I'll keep an eye out for it. Over half my peppers are Socrates this year.

Bill
Old June 6, 2014   #14
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
... I have never seen blossom end rot on Socrates so there must be something off. ... Bill
Yes, I think I have thrips as a vector. In terms of non-infected fruits, the Better Belle II is out-performing Socrates.
Old July 29, 2014   #15
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Any suggestions on other varieties of bells like Socrates but different colors when ripe? Looking for orange, yellow, other colors??