Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General discussion regarding the techniques and methods used to successfully grow tomato plants in containers.

Old March 15, 2006   #1
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Default cold frame tomatoes?

I have a few ealy tomatoes ready to go into my coldframe. Czech's Bush has buds and Orange 1 and Earliana are very close too. We are in the middle of calving and I dought DH will finish my cold frame in the next week.
Can I keep them in 4" pots awhile longer w/o hurting production?
Should I put them into their final containers now and leave them inside?
I have never had tomatoes in the cold frame before and as these were not under lights and only get 4-6 hours of south window sunshine, I was hoping they would grow slower. They have been in 4" pots for a long time and I don't think they shoud be root bound.
They are about 10-11" high and look good. Still in soiless mix and no fertilizer yet...
Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2006   #2
SelfSufficient1
Tomatovillian™

I don't know a thing about planting tomatoes in a cold frame but seems to me if I had tomatoes that large I and couldn't get them out I would put them in larger pot(especially if there was a chance it might be more than a week as seems to be in your case). I would even give them some fertilizer but I would have given fertilizer before now anyway.
No expert help here, have only been really growing the last 4 years or so.