Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old April 27, 2013   #1
Steve Magruder
Tomatovillian™

Default Inexpensive way to start composting?

I've been trying to think of the cheapest possible way to start composting. I thought of asking for a composter on Freecycle, then realizing I couldn't fit a fully constructed composter in my car or even my mom's SUV. So, I need to use materials to construct one or buy a kit of some sort. Any ideas?

I'm asking because my partner isn't sold on the idea of spending much money to start this, with all the other things we need.
Steve Magruder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

Do you need a composter for aesthetics? Because you don't need anything to enclose a compost pile- all you need is an area that's large enough to start building a pile at least 3' square. We build piles that are much larger but none of them have enclosures of any kind. They get covered/uncovered with a tarp to control moisture.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #3
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Magruder View Post
I've been trying to think of the cheapest possible way to start composting. I thought of asking for a composter on Freecycle, then realizing I couldn't fit a fully constructed composter in my car or even my mom's SUV. So, I need to use materials to construct one or buy a kit of some sort. Any ideas?

I'm asking because my partner isn't sold on the idea of spending much money to start this, with all the other things we need.

My husband is working on a three composter set for me when time permits and I would say by the time you pay for all the misc stuff to build it you may as well have just bought one and had it shipped to you. I will post pics when it is all done. He is using 55 gallon blue barrels that had been full of soy sauce. I don't know when he will be finished because he is very busy and just does some small bits at a time. It should only take about 3 hours total to build one* if you have the time and parts to do it.

Take a look at DIY composter instructions online for ideas.

*Build one-meaning one 55 gallon barrel composter-not three of them.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #4
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I just put some logs in a square and pile inside them.
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #5
Steve Magruder
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kath View Post
Do you need a composter for aesthetics? Because you don't need anything to enclose a compost pile- all you need is an area that's large enough to start building a pile at least 3' square. We build piles that are much larger but none of them have enclosures of any kind. They get covered/uncovered with a tarp to control moisture.
I would say aesthetics are a minor concern as I live in a suburban neighborhood. It doesn't have to be pretty, but having something to enclose the material would the best choice for me.
Old April 27, 2013   #6
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

If you don't have the space to block off some ground, I suggest the trash can composter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZyox5yLiMU

I made one with a can that doesn't have the handle locks, it simply has a lid and it works great..

Al

Last edited by Al@NC; April 27, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #7
kath
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I would say aesthetics are a minor concern as I live in a suburban neighborhood. It doesn't have to be pretty, but having something to enclose the material would the best choice for me.
I see- we live in a rural area so we're the only ones who have to look at them. Glad to see others have suggestions for really inexpensive options for you.
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #8
Steve Magruder
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al@NC View Post
If you don't have the space to block off some ground, I suggest the trash can composter!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZyox5yLiMU

I made one with a can that doesn't have the handle locks, it simply has a lid and it works great..

Al

That's a great demo. I couldn't tell if he drilled holes in the bottom, though. It just looked like around the sides and in the lid.
Old April 27, 2013   #9
Steve Magruder
Tomatovillian™

Also, I do have space to block off ground... in fact, I have a corner of the yard where two chain link fences meet, and it's shady most of the time. The only thing I would have to figure out is what to use to block it off.

I also have a candidate plastic trash can in mind that may work for converting to a bin like in the demo.

So perhaps I could go either way.
Old April 27, 2013   #10
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

i did not like the trash can when i tried it. nothing wanted to break down.

i switched to three sided chicken wire fence with t posts. i even have a second pile with just 2 sides of chicken wire. its a corner just like you described. its easy to empty and turn the compost

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #11
Al@NC
Tomatovillian™

No holes in the bottom and the secret is lots of air and water your compost. I do not have mine sitting on blocks either.

Al
Al@NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #12
Steve Magruder
Tomatovillian™

I'm seeing conflicting advice about holes in the bottom. Not sure what to do.
Old April 27, 2013   #13
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:

This is what I did. I relocated a few tree stumps that we didn't feel like splitting for firewood, started dumping my compost stuff between them and build a eight inch ledge out of leftover bricks in the yard in front of it to dress up the front.

Composting is the cheapest gardening activity there is. You only need three feed square if you want to get temperatures high enough to kill weed seeds. You can compost with a much smaller foot print. It just takes a little longer as it is a cooler process. The cooler process, however makes for a richer compost (more nitrogen).

Stacy

Last edited by bughunter99; April 27, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #14
bughunter99
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Also, I do have space to block off ground... in fact, I have a corner of the yard where two chain link fences meet, and it's shady most of the time. The only thing I would have to figure out is what to use to block it off.

I also have a candidate plastic trash can in mind that may work for converting to a bin like in the demo.

So perhaps I could go either way.
Grow some vines into the fence. That's two sides blocked right there.
Here is mine between the stumps. I'm in the burbs

Stacy

Last edited by bughunter99; April 27, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
bughunter99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2013   #15
Steve Magruder
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bughunter99 View Post
Grow some vines into the fence. That's two sides blocked right there.

Stacy
Good idea, but in my case, I think the neighbor that owns one side is about to replace the chain link with a taller wooden fence.