Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 6, 2015   #1
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

Default No pollen in zuke blossoms?

Does high heat affect pollen formation? It's been unusually hot here in the PNW and now that my zukes are finally starting to bloom, the male flowers don't seem to have any pollen(I try to hand pollinate when I can). Is there anything else that can cause this? Plants look healthy albeit a little bit pale...I've been having to water a lot. I have given them a little MG and epsom salts(1 tbs/gal of water of each) to green them up a bit. I have four plants in a raised bed...was going for only two but couldn't bring myself to cull the other two. I only had one plant last year and only got two fruit all season due to poor male/female flower timing.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #2
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

I think next year I'm going to try one of the parthenocarpic hybrids that don't require pollination. I liked the look of Easypick f1, which also comes in a gold fruited version. I just wish it had powdery mildew resistance. Maybe I'll try an Easypick and a pm resistant one. Early on, at least, I should at least have some squash. Totally Tomatoes sells it. High Mowing seed has one called Partenon which is pricier, but they have free shipping even if you just buy one packet of seed.

Edit: sorry I don't actually know about heat and pollen. I do think it's possible given that it happens with tomatoes.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #3
Durgan
Tomatovillian™

My cukes are starting to produce. At first all I had were female flowers. Then suddenly a few males appeared. Now there is a bit of production.

I attempted some hand pollination with one or two male flowers which appeared,but couldn't find any pollen so gave it up. A few bees must have appeared without my noticing them. Or possibly wind pollination. It also has been very cool.

My real problem is lack of bees, since the 'cides appear to be killing them off. I have excellent bloom of female flowers so am optimistic that I will have a good harvest all Summer.
Durgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2015   #4
noinwi
Tomatovillian™

I guess I just needed to be more patient. The newer male blossoms seem to have plenty of pollen. Thanks for your responses.
noinwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2015   #5
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Well, a season or two of lame production does that to a person. Hope you get boatloads of squash!
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote