Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old January 11, 2007   #1
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default mini red cherry

Got this from Jenifer-picked 40 of them today. Some to save seed, and some to eat. Very nice looking fruit, somewhat firm, deep red 1 oz cherries. Plant is about 3 feet tall. Taste was very good for January growing undercover.
Old January 11, 2007   #2
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Mike, would you consider this to be high yielding? The reason I ask is that I've found that most of the dwarf varieties are lower yielding than determinates....but cherries by nature tend to pump out the fruit. And, just as we are working in our dwarf project to produce large fruited, different colored dwarf varieties, the opposite could be of interest - consider a dwarf version of Sungold (same flavor but much easier to grow in a pot and keep in control)....not that we need to bite anything else right now!
Old January 11, 2007   #3
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Craig-Dwarf version of sungold? Sign me up!

My first picking of this variety was 40 fruit tonight-that seems a lot to me for growing in the winter undercover. I dont know how many fruit are left on the plant, but I will look tomorrow-I suspect this is a determinate variety. I will post manana.
Old January 12, 2007   #4
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Craig-There are about 50 or so either ripe or unripe fruit on the plant at this time. So to me, 100 cherry tomatoes of this caliber is good for me. This one will definately be in my garden in the spring. All the best.
Old January 12, 2007   #5
Patrina_Pepperina
Cross Hemisphere Dwarf Project™ Moderator

Budai would be a good dwarf parent - it's prolific and somewhat compact, and the flavour is pretty good too. I could try some crosses next season if you can find the growers Craig

Patrina