Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old September 7, 2015   #16
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I convinced my mom and stepdad to plant groundhog radish over the winter in their garden. They have noticed improved soil and more earthworms this year. They got it out late, and it lived until mid-winter, when it got buried under snow and ice. Until then it stayed green, even when everything else was brown. It can take freezing temps, but the ice finally killed it in about late January.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2015   #17
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

OK so what are groundhog radishes
zeroma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2015   #18
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

We got the seed from Morgan County. I did not realize Groundhog Radish is actually a brand name. It is a kind of daikon radish.

Here is a good article about radishes as cover crops:
http://www.extension.org/pages/64400...s#.Ve904X3lTQQ
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8, 2015   #19
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I bought some seeds of daikon tillage radish end of last year we didn't us yet. That link was great and lead me to keep digging for more information.
Old September 13, 2015   #20
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Well after two days of rain I was able to pull up my plants mow down my straw mulch add some cotton seed meal and turn everything over with my garden fork then hand sow my hairy vetch seed.Been a good year for my tomatos.Only problem was the lack of rain the last 7 weeks.Hoping for a mild winter but who knows after this hot and dry summer in North East Ohio.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2015   #21
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjp1953 View Post
Well after two days of rain I was able to pull up my plants mow down my straw mulch add some cotton seed meal and turn everything over with my garden fork then hand sow my hairy vetch seed.Been a good year for my tomatos.Only problem was the lack of rain the last 7 weeks.Hoping for a mild winter but who knows after this hot and dry summer in North East Ohio.
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!! The only thing I wanted was it to be warmer while it rained n Saturday. I was doing a farmers market and it was COLD COLD COLD! I was very thankful for the rain, though!
Old September 13, 2015   #22
zeroma
Tomatovillian™

I don't know if anyone knows about www.sare.org to get information about the different kinds of cover crop plants or not so I thought I would share it. It gave me great information.

Enjoy reading in the Learning Center in fact here is one of the direct links:

http://www.sare.org/Learning-Center/...ms/Cover-Crops

zeroma

Last edited by zeroma; September 13, 2015 at 09:59 PM.
Old September 13, 2015   #23
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
Yes, Yes, Yes!!!!!! The only thing I wanted was it to be warmer while it rained n Saturday. I was doing a farmers market and it was COLD COLD COLD! I was very thankful for the rain, though!
Ya,90 last week and 60's Friday and Saturday.It's going to be in the 80 this week.
Old September 20, 2015   #24
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverseed View Post
I have been using the combination of winter rye & hairy vetch, Has worked well for me over the years but always looking for anything better that will loosen up the soil a little more.
Have you planted a cover crop this year?My Vetch is starting to come up.I just scattered the seed this year and did not cover it.I sometime just tap it in lightly but this year after turning my garden with a fork,I just tossed on the ground.I was very tired after taking out my plants and using my fork.I have had rye come up in 48 hours.Vetch has always been last to come up.