Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 1, 2009   #1
KLorentz
Tomatovillian™

Default Green Beans and Zukes

Got the green beans planted about a week ago and they are up and doing good. Zukes got planted two days ago and should be up next week. Got a few more things to plant and thats it until I plant for fall gardening. Can't wait to start harvesting. Kobatcha Squash is looking great and the pumpkins are starting to have a good growth spurt.

Kevin
KLorentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 1, 2009   #2
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

here in the thumb, my bean results so far are mixed. i decided to plant only pole beans this year due to space limitations. too much rain shortly after planting may have drowned some seeds preventing them from growing.
most of my uncle steve seeds have come up, as have meraviglia di venezia. only a couple caseknife have come up. just a few striped bunch, and striped hull greasy cut short have come up, but they are older seeds. red eye tennessee greasy bean is a no show, as is neckargold, and blue marbutt. in cells i started my last 6 grandma gina beans, a big italian roma type bean from italy, and 14 uncle steve red streaked beans. they all came up and were transplanted to the garden. i just planted in cells tonight some dow purple, neckar gold, fortex, musica, and fox family greasy pole beans.

my zukes have been in the garden for about 3 weeks. they have only grown a bit. i'm still waiting for them to start bulking up. can't be due to lack of rain. lack of heat more likely. almost everything is planted or replanted here. melons, water melons, and winter and summer squash will hopefully start taking off once the warm weather is here to stay.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2009   #3
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Keith,

Can you post a description of Uncle Steve's. Such as seed, vine, flower, and pod color? I'm trialing it this year. And like others, I'm getting some that are crossed.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 2, 2009   #4
rxkeith
Tomatovillian™

gary,

uncle steve bean seeds are a light tan with purple whorls on it, about the size of a pinto bean. i often get a few seeds that are half purple or nearly all purple. not sure if that is a cross or just individual variation. the bean pod should be flat, green, with dark purple whorls on it with a curve, similar to a sickle shape. there are usually 5 to 7 seeds per pod. vines are typical pole bean in appearance, and can grow past 10 ft. i don't know if they every stop growing until frost kills them. blossoms are purple. pick the bean before the pod begins to swell very much or else it will be tough. if you get anything different then that, i would suspect a cross.
i have always eaten it as a snap bean. i 've munched them raw. i have been told its good as a dry bean, and so-so as a shelly.
it freezes well, but not a good canner.

keith
rxkeith is offline   Reply With Quote