Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old October 24, 2010   #1
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Default Any info on Water Spinach?

So it occurred to me that my LakeTainer (a floating EarthTainer, see the container forum for gory details), might actually be better suited to growing something that likes really wet soil than growing tomatoes.

Has anyone grown Water Spinach? Any good sources for seed?

Am I right in thinking that its invasiveness is no problem in areas with freezing winters?
lowlylowlycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #2
pinakbet
Tomatovillian™

is this what you are referring to?: http://www.stuartxchange.org/Kangkong.html

its one of the common veggies here in our area. I love it when steamed then paired with shrimp paste.

it will grow almost anywhere with water. it have a cousin, ipemoa reptans which grows in land.
pinakbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #3
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Lowly, you might want to research that one some more, especially before planting it in a natural water source. Look at all the money spent over the years on trying to control Asian millefoil and purple loosestrife (and buckthorn and ...). The USDA and other sites list water spinach as a federal noxious weed and specifically call it out as an example of an invasive that is "damaging our agricultural resources." If you feel a need to try growing it, it's probably a better candidate for growing in a pot on a concrete patio where you can control seed production and vegetative propagation.
Old November 1, 2010   #4
franzb69
Tomatovillian™

if you're gonna grow these, you'll wanna keep them contained. very invasive. don't let it out. =D
franzb69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1, 2010   #5
lowlylowlycook
Tomatovillian™

Well it's things like this make me think that there is no problem where I live:

Quote:
Water spinach was placed on this list because it can become an established weed in waterways. Since water spinach is extremely frost sensitive, it has only become an invasive species in Southern states.

As far as I can tell,
  1. It would be a huge pain to buy seeds legally in the US (unless you are in Mass).
  2. I could start from fresh plants bought at an Asian market.
  3. In the States where it is causing problems, the people that want it, find the seeds and grow it anyhow.
I'm not exactly dying to grow it so maybe I'll put it on the back burner for now.
lowlylowlycook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2011   #6
jwr6404
Tomatovillian™

You can purchase this water spinach in Korean grocery stores under the name Minari(my spelling). It also grows wild in the streams that pour into the Puget Sound. Im certain if you found any in a marketyou could get it to sprout heavily in a vase of water
Old January 2, 2011   #7
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

How about water chestnuts? I've never grown them, but when I lived near Asian markets, I loved to eat them fresh -- like most vegetables, there's no comparison with the canned product! When I was researching what I could grow, I recall there were at least 2 different plants called "water chestnuts."
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote