Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old July 28, 2013   #1
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Default Mushrooms anyone?

Anyone grow mushrooms? What were your sources?

Was thinking about this from Park's just for giggles:

http://parkseed.com/cardboard-and-co...-1-lb/p/31014/

I have a never ending supply of shredded paper and coffee grounds at work!

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
ChrisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #2
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

i love growing mushrooms it was my hobby for quite a while. the mushroom patches are fine but if you want to get more involved it can be a very addicting endeavor. as soon as i can get a new seal for my pressure canner i plan to post a how to on oyster mushroom cultivation for anyone interested
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #3
katkoot
Tomatovillian™

I have always wanted to grow mushrooms! I am a terrible waterer though, and was always afraid that they would fail by gardener error
katkoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #4
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

I did do the cardboard coffee cultivator and had OK results. Love to see new ideas!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootLoops View Post
i love growing mushrooms it was my hobby for quite a while. the mushroom patches are fine but if you want to get more involved it can be a very addicting endeavor. as soon as i can get a new seal for my pressure canner i plan to post a how to on oyster mushroom cultivation for anyone interested

Ignorance more frequently begets knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. --Charles Darwin
Old March 4, 2014   #5
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Hey there Chris I have grown via patches and if you take a little look there is a place that sells them 4 @ 25$ a pop at least until you get a home op going , my favorites to grow are ★★★★takes and oysters. neither are hard but i think the previous requires some kind of cold treatment to initiate fruiting
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #6
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

shiitakes require a few things including a temp drop and a physical smack with the hand or other implement. they are a bit more finnicky than oysters but not super difficult. oysters are by far my favorite they will grow on almost anything, a couple years ago i grew some on a set of my old clothes they fruited several times before i composted the colony.

i went to dig thru the high fibre compost pile that i threw some oyster logs into last season and i found some mycelium growing in bundles of old newspapers. i figure i'll get some nice fruits from them when they start to grow and i should be able to post some pics
Old March 4, 2014   #7
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

would love tips on shiitakes! Esp. ways to grow w/o logs.

Old March 4, 2014   #8
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I've not had much success trying to grow mushrooms indoors. My most successful crops have been grown outdoors:

joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #9
epsilon
Tomatovillian™

Are you using that gross tamarack bush? I guess it is useful afterall.
epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 4, 2014   #10
Hermitian
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Anyone grow mushrooms? What were your sources?

Was thinking about this from Park's just for giggles:

http://parkseed.com/cardboard-and-co...-1-lb/p/31014/

I have a never ending supply of shredded paper and coffee grounds at work!
Wow, at long last I could become a member of Blue Oyster Cult!

Thanks Chris, just the nudge I needed to add mushrooms to my garden.
Old March 4, 2014   #11
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

We grow winecap and oysters with sawdust spawn and plugs from:

http://www.fieldforest.net/

Really nice people who were very helpful. I scattered the spawn on woodchips in our landscape. The winecaps looked beautiful mixed in a wooded setting. Looking forward to see what comes up this year. We innoculated logs with oyster plugs late in the season so we will see what happens.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #12
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I find this very interesting. Anyone in the northern zones doing it successfully?
Karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #13
ChrisK
Tomatovillian™

Park's is re-selling/distributing Mushroom Mountain Blue Oyster packages. Might be cheaper direct from the source, I haven't looked. I'll probably just buy some oyster 'shrooms and use the ends to restart my colony. Also going to use mosquito dunks in the water as the fungus gnats got out of control.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermitian View Post
Wow, at long last I could become a member of Blue Oyster Cult!

Thanks Chris, just the nudge I needed to add mushrooms to my garden.

Old March 5, 2014   #14
Farmette
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I find this very interesting. Anyone in the northern zones doing it successfully?
Karen
Check with the people at Field And Forest; they will steer you to the variety and method for your area. They are a Wisconsin company that grows its own mushrooms. I live in the Milwaukee area and my friends and I grow mushrooms successfully.
Farmette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2014   #15
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

that's it i'm ordering a seal and pressure kit for my pc and maybe some agar supplies before long. once i get some cultures i'd be glad to expand them and send some out to folks for cost of shipping if anyone wants to give it a shot. there is a lot of complicated science behind mushroom cultivation but it really all boils down to very simple actions.

those oysters look awesome! the ones i have in logs are about three years old this season and pretty much depleted but it seems they will live on in the high fibre pile where they will be very helpful.

i got mine from www.southeastmushroom.com, they are beech oyster but i'm not sure if he has that one anymore. it was a beast that produced massive clusters, i lost my master culture of that one when our fridge went out. the owner is a great guy if you want special orders or want to know about something just give them a call. he'll probably be out on the farm but his wife will have him get right back to you

winecaps have been one i wanted to grow for a while maybe i can put together a bed for some this year. where i live has a great climate for mushrooms it won't be long until me and the family are out hunting down black and orange chanterelles!