Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old May 5, 2014   #1
Elliot
Tomatovillian™

Default We grow cucumbers in an area with less than optimal sunlight

Have been very successful with growing cucumbers on a parcel of land next to our house which really does not get the most sunlight. Are thee any other veges that will also grow in less than optimal lighting?
Elliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014   #2
kath
Tomatovillian™

I'm surprised that cukes do well in less than full sun. I would think if you can grow fruits in this spot, you should be able to grow lots of other stuff. This site has a chart with suggestions for veggies that require less sunlight than others:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/organ...#axzz30sXgY41L

Some other sites also suggest onions, broccoli, cauliflower, brussels sprouts, kohlrabi and rhubarb. They may produce smaller crops than when grown in full sun. I thought celery did ok, too, since it's a marsh plant.

kath
kath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Do you know how many hours of sun this spot receives a day? Is it shady all year or just in the spring/summer/early fall?

If you can grow cucumbers, you might be able to grow cherry tomatoes. They seem to be a little more forgiving than larger fruited varieties. I think lettuce would also be a good choice and it would benefit from some shade when it gets hots. Spinach and other greens, too.
Old May 5, 2014   #4
luigiwu
Tomatovillian™

I wish there was an affordable device that measured how many hours of sunlight a spot got...
luigiwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5, 2014   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

I would say if you can grow cucumbers there successfully you could grow many things. certainly greens like lettuce, kale, spinach etc. beets and chard, onions, carrots, things like radish and broccoli, herbs etc. maybe not peppers and tomatoes or melons and squash but most other garden veggies will do pretty well in part shade.
karen
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote