Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old January 14, 2009   #1
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Default Largest varieties

I can about 100 quarts of Salsa Verde every year. Normal tomatillos are so small, it takes a heap to make a big batch of salsa. I can recommend "Maje" & "Burgess Giant". Both produce baseball sized fruit (about 4-5 inches around). They have outstanding flavor. Tomatillos are sprawlers and moving branches to pick fruit often dislodges a large amount of fruit. Wind will also knock them off. I stake my plants to "T" posts that are one foot in the ground and 7 foot above. You do have to be careful when tying them with twine or string because the stems snap easily and are not as tough as those of a tomato plant. I have a special place where I grow them because they get large and wide and due to dropped fruit, they seed all over the place. My family uses salsa verde on everything and I use it for enchilada sauce. I also sell to the local supermarket because we have a large Hispanic population of agriculture workers here.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2009   #2
happydog
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I can recommend "Maje" & "Burgess Giant"
ooh, cool - That's what I'm growing next year

How many plants do you grow to make 100 quarts?

I wonder if a Florida weave would work with them? I just found out how much T posts have gone up to this year, yikes.
happydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2009   #3
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

HD, I have 25 plants but I also sell lots fresh to the local hispanic population (I sell more tomatillos than tomatoes...)I would think 5 plants that have these larger sized tomatillos would give you PLENTY! You got seeds from those coming.

All I know about staking tomatillos is they are really fragile compared to tomato stems. They just kind of shear off. I have tightened twine around them and had it cut through the stems like a scalpel. Big yarn works a lot better. And the gosh darnoodley things are the "Sprawlers" of the garden kingdom. If you just leave them, they are as wide as tall and they will cover up anything nearby. I also put black plastic under them to make it easier to get the fruit that falls when ripe and it helps with the re-seeding problem (these re-seed worse than any tomato I have ever grown. And then I feel like a "murderer" hacking all those little tomatillo plants to death ) My family prefers the Salsa Verde to Red Salsa. They eat it on everything...eggs, meatloaf, pork chops...
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2009   #4
happydog
Tomatovillian™

I used to grow a tomato - Florida Everglade - that was sprawley like that. I only had to plant it once and then it came up every year from all the millions it dropped. Trying to tie it up was like putting a jacket on a jellyfish.

What do you think of Cisneros? I couldn't find any info about it.

Have you posted your salsa verde recipe or is it a secret?
Old January 21, 2009   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Where did you get your "Maje" & "Burgess Giant" ?? I've never seen listings for those varieties.

Cisineros is quite large for a tomatillo. I grew it last year and it did well for me. I did have one that was just a touch bigger but I don't think as big as what those others are described as.
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2009   #6
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Burgess Giant is listed at Reimer, Victory, and Hume.

Grande Maje googles only to Ebay

Ted
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2009   #7
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

I got my Grand Maje from "SeedPack" about two years ago.
http://www.seedpack.com/servlet/the-...o--dsh-/Detail

I grew Cisneros twice and it never did as well and didn't have the size as Grand Maje and Burgess Gigante (I should have used their full names in my previous post.) I planted it in two different areas thinking maybe it just did not care for the spot but it still didn't do as well.

I am happy to post my Verde Recipe. I will put it here but if a mod want's to move it...okee dokee.

Tomatillo Green Salsa
5 cups cored tomatillos or green tomatoes or a mixture of both, blended in food processor & then run through food mill to remove seeds
1 1/2 cups chopped long green chile's (like for chili rellenos) blended in food processor & then run through food mill to remove seeds
1/2 cup finely chopped jalapeños (more or less to taste)Blended in Food Processor & then run through food mill to remove seeds.
4 cups chopped onions , ½ cup chopped cilantro 6 cloves garlic run in Food Processor until throughly chopped
1 cup bottled lime juice
1 Tbsp ground cumin
3 tbs oregano
1 Tbsp salt
1 tsp black pepper

Bring chopped cored tomatillos or tomatoes to boil in a pot with water. Boil 5 minutes. Remove tomatillos/tomatoes and run through food mill. You can just run them through food mill but I find I like the consistency better when they have been heated and then run through food mill.
Combine tomatillos/tomatoes & all other ingredients in a large saucepan and stir frequently over high heat until mixture begins to boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally until mixture is reduced by a 3rd. (If you prefer your Verde even thicker, just continue to simmer until desired consistency is reached.) Ladle hot salsa into pint jars, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Adjust lids and process in a boiling water canner 15 minutes at 0-1,000 feet altitude; 20 minutes at 1,001-6,000 feet; 25 minutes above 6,000 feet. Yield: 5 pints
This can be frozen rather than canned but may need additional cooking to re-thicken.
A note about the lime juice...I have used vinegar and lemon juice and in my opinion, neither finished product tasted as good as the verde with the lime juice.

You can also slightly raise the number of Jalapenos or lessen the number and you may substitute other hot pepper varieties for the Jalapenos. It is VERY IMPORTANT not to change the ratio of vegies to lime juice because this recipe is tested safe for canning at the ratios given.

Salsa Verde & seeds...some recipes say no need to remove seeds, others say run through food mill. I personally prefer it with no seeds and I think it looks nicer in the jar.

This is my enchilada sauce and I have used this recipe for many, many years.
Old January 21, 2009   #8
happydog
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for the recipe, I've printed and saved it for next summer. My mouth is watering already.
Old January 21, 2009   #9
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

you got me craving for mexican food! anyhow, now i'll grow tomatillos, too!

thanks!

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2009   #10
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I'm sorry, but I just went to both Victory and Hume and neither has the Burgess listed, only toma verde, and I won't deal with Reimers even if they do actually have it.
Old January 22, 2009   #11
salix
Tomatovillian™

I have recently seen rather large tomatillos (green) in a local grocery store. My plan is to buy one and use it for seed - and hope for decent flavour and size. My question is whether the seeds are saved in the same general manner as tomatoes? Do I need to let it get very very ripe first?
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2009   #12
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I do tomatillo just like my tomato seed. The 1 big difference between tomato and tomatillo and ground cherry seed is the fact that it is smaller than tomato seed, so you need a tighter mesh sieve or the seed will go right thru.
Old January 22, 2009   #13
salix
Tomatovillian™

Thank you, Sunflower!
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22, 2009   #14
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I'm sorry, but I just went to both Victory and Hume and neither has the Burgess listed, only toma verde, and I won't deal with Reimers even if they do actually have it.
I got Burgess Gigante at Burgess.
Old January 22, 2009   #15
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I Googled it after my other post and couldn't find a variety actually named Burgess Gigante. But when I Googled just Gigante tomatillo, I found it at Burpee and several other sites. From what I could see, it was originally a Burpee variety.Whatever.

I'll probably give it a try as a bigger tomatillo is always nice.