Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 26, 2009   #1
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Default White Cucumber Mutation?

Yeah, so I grew cucumbers for the first time this year. I'm not a big fan, but my wife likes them. I guess you could say they were a success, because we grew way more than we could ever eat.

Anyway, the variety I grew is Poinsett 76. The cucumbers were by no means uniform, some of them being shorter with a pointy tip, and others being long. But one cucumber on one of the vines was white. I didn't see any others like it. Is this a mutation of some kind or something else?

My thought is that I might save the seeds from the white cucumber to see whether the trait duplicates itself at all next year. Any thoughts?
organichris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2009   #2
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Is it one vine or just the one cuke?

If it is just the one cuke it could be just that fruit had something with it.

If it is the vine, it could be a mutation or just a stray seed, as there are several white varieties.

If it wasn't taped off and hand pollinated, the chances of getting 'true seed' are slim to none...it would have been pollinated by any/all open male flowers in its vicinity. Also, to save cuke seeds, you need to let them develop on the vine until way larger than eating. They'll get hard, almost like winter squash and frequently turn some shade of yellow or brown. Then you need to let that fruit go 'mushy'...

If it is the one vine, then you can tape some of the unopened female flowers and hand pollinate them, with pollen from the male flowers on that vine (yeah, a better choice would be if there were two of the same vines and using pollen from one on the other). Then taping the flower closed until it drops (mark the stem...a colored string or ribbon works well). And then let it grow until it is yellow and hard.
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2009   #3
organichris
Tomatovillian™

To my knowledge, it was just a single fruit on one of the vines. I haven't picked it because I anticipated collecting seed from it. There may be others, but I haven't discovered any. You're probably right that chances are slim that I could reproduce the trait in the next generation, due to all the factors you mentioned. Nevertheless, I think I'll collect the seeds anyway just to see what happens. Thanks for the info.
Old August 26, 2009   #4
mjc
Tomatovillian™

If that is the only type of cuke you're growing, then you'll get good cukes (as long as it wasn't a hybrid to begin with...if so, then there is no telling what you could end up with). It's just that for most veggies, the 'normal' color/green will be dominant. I'm not sure which and how many genes are going to control the color of the fruit, so I won't take a stab at your chances of getting more white ones, but you should end up with usable cukes anyway, next year.
Old August 27, 2009   #5
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

some of them being shorter with a pointy tip,

That will also happen on zucchini. That is a sign that they weren't polinated fully. Usually those will develope a bitter taste so they are supposed to be dropped when picked.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27, 2009   #6
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
some of them being shorter with a pointy tip,

That will also happen on zucchini. That is a sign that they weren't polinated fully. Usually those will develop a bitter taste so they are supposed to be dropped when picked.

Carol
Really? I haven't noticed any difference in taste. What do you mean by "dropped when picked"?
Old August 27, 2009   #7
mjc
Tomatovillian™

Discarded...composted...fed to the chickens/pigs/critters
Old August 27, 2009   #8
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

Yup that's it.

As a market gardener we don't want to sell stuff we know is questionable at best. We aim to have some of the best stuff so we have return customers.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28, 2009   #9
organichris
Tomatovillian™

Well, I checked that cucumber vine just to be sure, but there were definitely other regular-looking green cucumbers on the same vine. The white one is still there and I still plan on letting it mature so I can collect the seeds. I don't know what will come from it. I do know that Poinsett 76 was hybridized by Cornell University, according to Dave's Garden. As to whether that means it is an F1 hybrid or it was stabilized is unclear to me. Either way I like to experiment with things. If I get no white cucumbers, fine. If I get a bunch of weird-looking, mediocre cucumbers, I don't really care. I'm not much of a cucumber eater. My wife eats them and I give them away.