Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 23, 2016   #16
Antares
Tomatovillian™

Growing hot peppers for drying:
Anaheim
Poblano
Cayenne
Unknown C. annuum that I call 'Hirsute Hot'

I trailed a lot of different hot peppers last year and these are the only ones that dried down well without extra work.

Bells:
California wonder (control comparison)
My bell line

Just for the heck of it:
Carolina Reaper
Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #17
whistech
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing:

18-Topepo peppers
12-Fooled You Jalapeño peppers
6-Anahiem chilies
6-Poblano peppers

I just transplanted the Topepo peppers in the garden today since I managed to kill the first round of seedlings by over watering and too much fertilizer.
Old April 23, 2016   #18
swamper
Tomatovillian™

2016 Pepper List

SWEET ANNUUM
orange temptation
eros f2
Sweet Chocolate *
Buran *
Bogyiszloi *

HOT ANNUUM
Arledge
Cveta x orange temptation f4
Mariachi f1
Chilhuacle Amarillo *
Chilhuacle Negro *

ORNAMENTAL ANNUUM
Dancing spirits X purple unknown
purple flash
purple demon

CHINENSE
7pot white
pimento de cheiro
bonda ma jacqques x Wild brazilX
7Pot Peach *
Congo, Yellow *
Brito's Mystery Peach *
sweet habanero *
Devil's Tongue Chocolate *
Devil's Tongue White *
Cheiro Roxa *
Aji Jobito *
Aji Margariteno *
Mako Akokosrade *
Sugar Rush Peach *
Beni Highlands *
Peach Congo *

PUBESCENS
Mini Rocoto *

BACCATUM
Aji Fantasy *
Aji Fantasy, Sparkly White *
Panambi *
Aji Omnicolor
Aji Ahuachapan *

*denotes new for me

Last edited by swamper; April 23, 2016 at 08:38 PM. Reason: *denotes new
swamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23, 2016   #19
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

swamper, nice list.

I'm really interested how your Mako Ako's do this year. I received pods in 2014 and just loved them. But last year the plants didn't do well for me. I thought it might be low sun level, but another friend - and the original sender - both had bad years too. I kept a full-size over-winter, but it got hit with aphids and hasn't looked that great anyway.

This could be a champion pepper if we could figure out how to grow it reliably.

Maybe a trip to Africa is in order....
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2016   #20
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

I'm really interested how your Mako Ako's do this year.

Me, too. First year growing this pepper.
guruofgardens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 26, 2016   #21
shule1

Here's my pepper variety list for 2016 (I may be missing a few; unless otherwise specified, they're Capsicum annuum):

Sweet:
• Big Bertha F1
• California Wonder 300
• Chervena Chushka
• Chinese Giant
• Corbaci
• Feher Ozon
• Iko Iko
• Jimmy Nardello Italian
• Jolene's Red Italian
• Lipstick
• Planet F1
• Red Mini Bell
• White Cloud
• Yolo Wonder

Hot:
• Aji Omnicolor (C. baccatum)
• Big Jim Lumbre
• Black Jalapeno
• Carolina Reaper x something? (C. chinense x something)
• Goat's Weed
• Grandpa's Home
• Jalapeno Gigante F1
• Jumbo Jalapeno
• Orange Carbonero (C. chinense)
• Randy Sine's Evil Jalapeno F3
• Ring of Fire
• Tabasco (C. frutescens)
• Yatzy

Since I already have peppers, I'll tell you which ones stick out to me, so far:

Corbaci is amazingly productive and produces really cool-looking, long, twisty peppers. They start yellow and turn red when ripe. When yellow, they have a kind of pearly look to the skin. I haven't tasted the red ones, yet, but I didn't taste a lot of flavor in the yellows. Nevertheless, they're really awesome peppers.

Chervena Chushka is fairly productive, with fairly large peppers and has amazing flavor and smell. The plants grow tall.

Black Jalapeno really is black. It turns dark red eventually. The flowers are purple. It's pretty productive, as most of my jalapenos were this year. It has decent taste when red (I haven't yet tasted it when black).

Jalapeno Gigante F1 produced plenty of peppers of a good shape and size for stuffing, but they tasted a lot like the fresh grocery store jalapenos (not much classic jalapeno taste; I imagine pickling them might fix that).

Grandpa's Home took a while to fruit, but it's amazingly productive, even in the shade. It's looks nice when it fruits.

Orange Carbonero is pretty awesome. It tastes kind of like peaches. Great for flavor in cooking.

Randy Sine's Evil Jalapeno F3 was probably my fastest maturing pepper. It has potent jalapeno flavor even when raw (I cut up a raw one into some maccaroni and cheese and it tasted kind of like bits of bacon). It's not stabilized yet, though. One plant had orange peppers and the other has red. Some of the peppers are super hot and some aren't very hot. My neighbor agrees that they taste awesome.

Jimmy Nardello Italian is very, very sweet.

Feher Ozon is pretty cool.

Some later peppers are looking promising, as they're a fair amount of fruit (Aji Omnicolor, Yatzy, Ring of Fire—which was supposed to be early—and maybe others).

Last edited by shule1; August 27, 2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old August 26, 2016   #22
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for the feedback on your varieties. Several of them I haven't grown.

I gotta ask. Your preferred heat level is obvious from your list. To you, jalapeños are hot.

So why on earth are you growing a Reaper hybrid? Curiosity?

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Old August 27, 2016   #23
shule1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmforcier View Post
Thanks for the feedback on your varieties. Several of them I haven't grown.

I gotta ask. Your preferred heat level is obvious from your list. To you, jalapeños are hot.

So why on earth are you growing a Reaper hybrid? Curiosity?
You're welcome.

I forgot to mention that I'm also growing Lipstick peppers. They're still ripening, but other than the color, they look a lot like Feher Ozon with a blunter end; plus, they're a little smaller. Feher Ozon seems to be doing better, though.

LOL I like super hot peppers (and I have eaten them, including the full Carolina Reaper). I live in Idaho, and it takes a while for many peppers to mature here in our yard, anyway. I like short-season peppers, or anything that produces a lot of ripe peppers before the first frost. Nevertheless, after my observations this year, I'm confident I could grow most kinds of C. chinense peppers in the future, despite their longer maturity times (with different methods than I used last year, for sure). So, I might try out more super hots in the future (but I'm partial to the earliest ones).

The Carolina Reaper hybrid was supposed to be a true Carolina Reaper, but although it's still very hot, the peppers are shaped like miniature pink accordian tomatoes or something, and they taste like cherries. Unfortunately, I've only had fruit on it indoors. It has flowers outdoors, but I haven't seen fruit on it, yet. I think I needed to transplant it into a larger container than a 5-gallon bucket—and give it more water (it's between my tomato jungle and our squash; so, it's not the most accessible; I think I'll move it soon now that I'm thinking about it). I probably should have started it in our unheated greenhouse like most of my other peppers instead of super early indoors, too.

Although I do like super hot peppers, I also like not-so-hot peppers, and sweet peppers, too. I might be a mutant, but Capsicum annuum actually tastes hotter to me per SHU than Capsicum chinense does (even though C. chinense is supposed to be a *lot* hotter). So, I'm highly interested in the hottest Capsicum annuum peppers. That would be pretty awesome if they ever got to 2,000,000 SHU. They probably will some day.

Evil Jalapenos aren't regular jalapenos. Their description says they're said to be as hot as habaneros. In my opinion, they're anywhere from 0 to 500,000 SHU depending on which pepper you pick from the same plant (the heat in the hottest ones can last a super long time, too).

Every pepper variety is different, though. There are different kinds of heat. I don't really have a preferred heat level (except in the moment), but I do have preferred heat types. I do seem to have adrenal insufficiency, though; so, hot peppers sometimes make that worse (if I eat them a lot, anyway; I think I've mostly just noticed this after eating dried Chile Del Arbol every day for a good while, though, and then I need rest from hot peppers for like a month or two—so, it could be a chemical sprayed on the Chile Del Arbol peppers causing the issues instead).
Even with the hottest peppers, you can always dillute them in cooking, though, if you want. Just watch out for the 7-pot series of peppers. I understand they go a long way.

Last edited by shule1; August 27, 2016 at 04:14 AM.
Old August 27, 2016   #24
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

7 pots of dinner per pepper, or so the story goes.

Reaper is a big plant but you should be okay in a 5 gal pot. Certainly wouldn't hurt to let it stretch its legs, so to speak. The hybrid sounds interesting. If you get some pods, and they are true, please post pics.

Not sure what to say about the adrenal insufficiency. I can't think of much this side of a Tsavo lion that would stimulate the fight or flight response better than a mouthful of Reaper. Think of it as glandular exercise.

You make good points about a) different people tasting and feeling the heat differently, and b) different heat profiles from different varieties. For instance, Mako Akakɔsrade (African C.chinense) has (or at least starts with) little front of the mouth heat. It seems to creep up the back and sides of the tongue. Hard to grow, though.

Let me recommend to you Fatalii (also African C.chinense). 250K+ SHU, and not nearly as late as the big monsters.

- Will Rogers

Old September 1, 2016   #25
shule1

@dmforcier

Thanks for the Fatalii recommendation. I had heard of it, but hadn't examined the variety much. Which color do you recommend for the best flavor and production? I notice there's at least a yellow, orange, red and chocolate. One of my favorite stores sells the orange kind.
Old September 1, 2016   #26
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

There's an orange mutant now? Cheez.

The original is golden yellow. Grow that.

- Will Rogers

Old September 1, 2016   #27
guruofgardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by shule1 View Post
@dmforcier

Thanks for the Fatalii recommendation. I had heard of it, but hadn't examined the variety much. Which color do you recommend for the best flavor and production? I notice there's at least a yellow, orange, red and chocolate. One of my favorite stores sells the orange kind.
We're growing white fatalii this year.
guruofgardens is online now   Reply With Quote