Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old September 30, 2012   #1
Chenango
Tomatovillian™

Default hot pepper still green

I have a lot a of portuguese Piri Piri hot peppers that are still green and the growing season is over here in Montreal, Canada. We might get freezing temperature during the night soon and it's too cool during the day for the little peppers to continue to grow and turn red like they are suppose to do.

Is there a way to get them to mature ?

Thanks in advance for your inputs
Chenango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2012   #2
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

If they are close you could try the banana trick. But it doesn't always work on peppers. Just put them in a bag with a ripening banana. The problem I always had with trying to ripen Peppers is they seen to get soft and wrinkly. So ripening them means I only can use them for drying. Since it is your last batch you could try pulling them up by the roots and hanging the plant upside down in a garage or barn. I have done that before. Then simply pull off the dried up peppers that have the color you want. Last option is build a frame and cover it with plastic and a tiny electric space heater with a thermostat. The extra heat might coax a few to ripen.

Edit: When all else fails...Salsa Verde!

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2012   #3
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

If it's just one or two plants, you might consider digging them up carefully and bringing them in the house, if you have a sunny window.
Old October 3, 2012   #4
Chenango
Tomatovillian™

Thanks guys,

I think I will enroot the plants and hang them in my garage for a while. Next year I will start my Piri Piri seedlings a month earlier to give them enough time to ripen.

Chenango
Chenango is offline   Reply With Quote