Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old April 29, 2016   #16
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Nematode, I have never thought about soaking peppers in alcohol. I'm going to have to try a Jalavodka and a few Jackbasco peppers soon ...mmm a Serrano soaked in peppermint schnapps
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #17
Susan66
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Nematode, I have never thought about soaking peppers in alcohol. I'm going to have to try a Jalavodka and a few Jackbasco peppers soon ...mmm a Serrano soaked in peppermint schnapps
I always thought hot peppers were like radishes- in cool weather they are cool, in hot weather they turn hot. Learning something new here. From what you say that seems not to be the case. Good to learn the soaking technique though. It's the flavor of the Jalapeños I like, not the heat.
Susan
Susan66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #18
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlittleSalt View Post
Well that sounds disgusting.
So much so it might be good.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #19
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Gotta love this place with all the new things we learn. Do you soak the peppers whole?

Can you just imagine Mexican restaurants offering up Strawberry Daiquiri Jalapeno flavored drinks.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #20
Nematode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post
Gotta love this place with all the new things we learn. Do you soak the peppers whole?

Can you just imagine Mexican restaurants offering up Strawberry Daiquiri Jalapeno flavored drinks.
sorry left out that detail.
i cut them and scrape out the white and seeds then soak.
Nematode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #21
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Yes, whole is fine. A slit down the side will let the alcohol contact the innards more easily. Just drop a slit pepper in the bottle and let it sit for a week or so. Taste to judge the amount of heat conveyed. If you want it warmer let it sit longer. Some of the flavor of the pepper is also infused, so try with different peps.

Stoli used to do a pepper-infused vodka that kept in the freezer and done in small shots was the closest thing to a legal aphrodisiac that I've found. Unfortunately they stopped importing it in the late 90s...

Probably too effective.
dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #22
TexasTycoon
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starlight View Post

One of my favorite Tex-Mex places near us serves a killer jalapeno dirty martini! The best part is that they leave a full shaker at the table for refills. Go to the liquor store and you'll see jalapeno vodka and drink mixers, definitely not a new thing (here, anyway)!
TexasTycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 29, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTycoon View Post
One of my favorite Tex-Mex places near us serves a killer jalapeno dirty martini! The best part is that they leave a full shaker at the table for refills. Go to the liquor store and you'll see jalapeno vodka and drink mixers, definitely not a new thing (here, anyway)!
Right.

Worth
Old April 29, 2016   #24
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

One of my favorite libations is a Blueberry Habanero Margarita. The tequila is infused with a few habaneros and the blueberries are muddled in the glass. It's pretty popular at The Big Bad in Downtown Houston.

MikeInCypress
Old April 30, 2016   #25
tarpalsfan
Tomatovillian™

Hi
Fooled You F1 jalapeno has no heat. I grow it, is a nice pepper. Also, with the regular jalapenos-I always wear gloves, and scrape out the membrane-the white stuff you mentioned, then I rinse the pepper off ,that takes away a lot of the heat. Be careful and don't get that juice in your eyes! There is a new variety of Fooled You jalapeno called Tricked You. I saw it in the Totally Tomatoes catalog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by parah View Post
Jalapenos are too hot for me to eat fresh. Do you have milder favorites for eating fresh?

You favorite tomatoes have become staples in my garden.
tarpalsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30, 2016   #26
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Rinsing and soaking in water does nothing. Capsaicin is practically water-insoluble. Think of it like a waxy oil. It is partially soluble in alcohol and most oils.

Once you get it on your skin, there's not much that you can do. Scrubbing with soap may help a little; likewise soaking in alcohol (not great since it dries the skin) or an oil-based moisturizer (better). There are special soaps that are made for dealing with poison ivy et al. (a similar irritant) but you probably won't have them around the house.

Rather than gloves, which I always manage to cut, I dip my working hand in vegetable oil. This keeps most of the bad stuff away. De-seeded a lot of super-hot peppers this way with little consequence.

Yes, there are a number of different varieties of Jalapeño. Some are hotter than "normal"; some are practically heatless. I can't tell you much about them because I haven't grown Jalapeño in years.
Old April 30, 2016   #27
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCypress View Post
One of my favorite libations is a Blueberry Habanero Margarita. The tequila is infused with a few habaneros and the blueberries are muddled in the glass.
It's the lead drink at Di Mia in Grapevine up here, too. I can't find a recipe on the web, but this one is close. She infuses the syrup instead of the liquor. (I think I'd prefer infusing the liquor and muddling the blueberries (and mint?).)

Blueberry Jalapeno Margaritas (from paleomg.com)

For the rim
  • lime wedge
  • ¼ cup of sugar (I used maple sugar) or coarse salt
For the jalapeño lime simple syrup
  • 1 cup water
  • ⅓ cup honey (or agave if you are ok with that)
  • 2 jalapeños, sliced
  • juice of ½ lime
For the margaritas
  • 1 cup blueberries
  • ½ cup lime juice
  • 1 cup blue agave silver tequila
  • mint leaves, for garnish
  • lime wedges, for garnish
Instructions
  1. To make your life easier, get the glasses ready first then set in the freezer until you are ready with your drink. Use a lime wedge to wet the rim of a glass then place sugar or salt on a plate and dip the rim of the glass in it and all the way around. Then add crushed ice to the glass. Repeat with 4 glasses. Place in freezer.
  2. Place all the ingredients for the simple syrup in a small saucepan over medium heat, whisk and let simmer for 15 minutes. Remove from heat to let cool.
  3. Once slightly cool, remove 4-5 slices of jalapeño for garnish then pour the rest of the simple syrup into a high speed blender along with 1 cup of blueberries. Puree for almost 1 minute until everything is completely combine. Pour mixture through a fine mesh strainer into a jar.
  4. Fill a cocktail shaker with the blueberry mixture, lime juice, and tequila along with a couple ice cubes. Cover and shake. Strain mixture into chilled glasses and garnish with blueberries, candied jalapeños, mint and lime.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

Old April 30, 2016   #28
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I dont care what I do how much planning ahead or anything.
Every time I start to mess with hot peppers of any kind I have to take a leak.

Worth
Old April 30, 2016   #29
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

I ain't gonna touch that with a ten foot .... Aw darn it!
Old April 30, 2016   #30
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
I dont care what I do how much planning ahead or anything.
Every time I start to mess with hot peppers of any kind I have to take a leak.

Worth
TMI!
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote