Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating onions, garlic, shallots and leeks.

Old March 7, 2008   #1
Soilsniffer
Tomatovillian™

Default RAMPS -- Anyone growing them?

As my apparent obsession with the allium continues, I came across these things. Ramps, also known as wild leeks.

They are difficult to grow, and becoming popular with the fancy schmancy I-go-to-restaurants-to-be-seen crowd.

Native to northeastern US, they normally grow wild as south as North Carolina. I'm in NE TN so I may be pushing the boundary a bit, but still undaunted, I bought a bunch of bulbs from G&N Ramp Farm (link) in West Virginia ... apparently the ONLY ramp farm on the entire planet.

Anyone familiar with these things in the wild? Anyone growing them?

J
Old March 7, 2008   #2
Patapsco Mike
Tomatovillian™

I have picked quite a few in the Western Maryland mountains. They grow wild all along many of the larger streams. Once you find a good spot, you can pick them there for a long time as long as you never take them all. They are fantastic, and unbelievably strong. A little goes a long way in cooking. Use too much and you will smell them in your sweat the next day. I think the taste is sort of like a cross between really strong garlic and Egyptian Walking Onions.

I've never tried to grow them, ,but I can tell you that in the wild I find them in very rich, loamy soil under big trees.
Patapsco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2008   #3
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

I used to date a guy that owned a cabin in West Virginia and sometimes when we were there we would find them growing wild and pick masses of them. I had not heard of anyone growing them at home until now. Let us know how it all turns out.
Old March 7, 2008   #4
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

J,

I've had a small patch of them for a few years. They won't spread, beyond the shade, for me.

I also live near a mother lode of 'em.

Tormato
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2008   #5
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Anyone familiar with these things in the wild? Anyone growing them?

Don't need to grow them in the area where I live in true upstate NY b'c they're everywhere.

They speak of Spring, they speak of pulling a mess of them and just sitting and eating them and sometimes I even shake the dirt off the bulbs.

Folks around here make ramp casseroles, use them in salads, on sandwiches, in soups and who knows what else. As for me, I like them pulled straight from the ground and pretty much eaten on the spot.

You've just reminded me that it's been three years since I went on ramp eating expeditions. And that's b/c after falling in Dec of 2004 I've been in a walker which doesn't lend itself to getting to where they are.

So......methinks it's time to ask someone to go with me and then let them do the harvesting.
Old March 7, 2008   #6
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

I live in Comfort Tennessee and they cam be found growing wild around here, so they should grow well for you as your just a little farther north than I soilsniffer. My Grandmother used to use ramps to make a broth when we had upset stomachs or the flu she insisted it would shorten the lenght of these sicknesses. I also remember her talking about the they used to have a state wide "ramp eating day" in Tennessee back in the 50's and 60's it was a pretty big day back then. I still cook with them as she did and was surprised to see some chefs on the food network using them a few months ago. Gizzard
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2008   #7
salix
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting thread. Are these Ramps actually an allium? I ask because I have only heard the term in reference to a type of Campanula (actually the one that originally caused the thievery in the beginning of the tale of Rapunzel). Obviously they do not grow around these parts, or if so they are an unknown delight...
salix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7, 2008   #8
GIZZARDFARM
Tomatovillian™

They also have a BIG Ramp festival in Cocke County Tennessee every year I think its in Cosby Tn. Lots of Yanks coming down to get some leeks lol
GIZZARDFARM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2008   #9
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

salix,

Allium tricoccum.

Tormato
Old March 8, 2008   #10
bigdummy
Tomatovillian™

Default Wild leek / Ramps

If I understand correctly, In the north they are called wild leeks, while in the south they are called ramps.

I have probably five to six acres growing in my woods. They grow in patches and cover the forest floor with their lush green foliage in early spring. Where they thrive they pretty much take over the forest floor, crowding out everything else. By early summer when their leaves have dried off, they leave large patches of bare ground. Easy to find if you understand their habitat. Here in northern Wisconsin they are plentiful.

Their habitat is the same as ginseng. Where you find one you could find the other. Northerly slope, rich fertile, moist, and shaded hardwood forest.

For some years now I have been trying to move some out of the woods into the garden proper with mixed results.

I harvest buckets of them in the spring, and freeze and dry for later use. I always seem to run out well before spring. The taste of wild leeks is habit forming.

The seed is easy to harvest, and the live plants are easy to ship bare. I have been thinking of ways to capitalize in on this bounty, but live in the sticks with no gourmet restaurants around here.

I tried to upload seedhead pictures, but no luck.

I have been know to do as
Carolyn does.

Big Dummy
bigdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2008   #11
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

This thread has me thinking about another Spring bonanza...Fiddleheads.

Tormato
Old March 8, 2008   #12
salix
Tomatovillian™

Tormato - thank you very much for the information. Big Dummy (that was really hard for me to type, BTW), would you consider trading for fresh seed next autumn? Our zones are fairly similar I should think. Or would that be considered importing an invasive species? Must think harder on that aspect.
Old March 9, 2008   #13
bigdummy
Tomatovillian™

Salix

In August we should trade PM's, jog my memory.

Let me know how much seed you need and your address.

Big Dummy

P.S. I thing I was sucessful on uploading seed head picture.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg wild leek4.JPG (63.8 KB, 87 views)
bigdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2008   #14
salix
Tomatovillian™

BD - thank you for the offer; I will make a note of this as I can no longer rely on my memory.

Did some checking and was surprised to find that in some areas (Maine, R. I., Tennessee) these plants were considered endangered or "of concern" due to heavy or over-harvesting in the wild. And this was due to the increasing use in up-scale restaurants, apparently. Strangely, it was listed as a noxious week in Arkansas...
Old April 30, 2013   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Diggin' up an old thread.

Anyone ramp it up, this time of year?

Gary