Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 15, 2012   #16
Jennyann
Tomatovillian™

Swamper--The tomatoes grew exactly in appearance, I.e. color shape and size to those I buy. Taste-wise they were better. Obviously softer from being held on the vine longer, but definitely a better taste. The plants were not super productive...maybe where the f2 factor comes in?
I have also grown many of the mixed cherries varieties and they have grown true as well--most with outstanding production and all exactly like the tomatoes I saved from. Maybe I'm lucky? Maybe some of them are open pollinated varieties? I'll be further experimenting this season, so we shall see!
Jennyann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22, 2013   #17
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Had my first Mini Kumato tomatoes last night. I didn't buy them, but I will probably be buying some in the future.

They were very good. How do they get that salty flavor in there?
Fred Hempel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018   #18
Greatgardens
Tomatovillian™

bump...
It's been awhile since folks started discussing the Kumato Mini, and I wondered if anyone had grown any out. I had not seen them in stores around here until this winter. Bought some, and they are pretty good. Kind of tough skinned, but very good flavor.

Alternatively, does anyone have any suggestions for a stable OP that is similar size and texture? This is certainly more like a grape tomato in texture than a cherry.

-GG
Greatgardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2018   #19
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Here is some Kumato history from Tomatoville

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hist...&bih=815&dpr=1

In one of his seed offers Ilex in Spain, a member here,offered the original one from Spain,I think I still have some seeds,but not sure, and it was called Olmeca somthing until that man was bought out by Syngenta, as I remember it..

It's a long interesting story. And the original name got changed when it was brought to the US. Terry of Secret Seed Cartel also has a long history at her website.

Carolyn
Old March 3, 2018   #20
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I have grown Kumato from store bought tomatos and taken it to F4. No difference with the original. But I decided not to continue since it was not something to write home about. There are many mich better brown/black varieties to grow.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote