Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old February 25, 2018   #16
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Have you tried Chapman?
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #17
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

There are two different varieties of Sioux. The original and Super Sioux. I grew Sioux for a couple of seasons as a canner but never got the productivity I wanted. I never tried Super Sioux but it is said to be a smaller and slightly more productive selection.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #18
wxcrawler
Tomatovillian™

I've grown the original Sioux off and on over the past few years. It's always produced well for me. The first couple of years, I had them in containers. Last year, it was in my raised bed. Flavor was much better with the raised bed plants, but that could also just be weather related.

Lee
wxcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #19
encore
Tomatovillian™

grew it a few years back in 6 gallon buckets, not good, fair amount of fruit, turned red but stayed hard as a rock. lol even got another pack of seeds free from TG as a free gift, so i got 2 packs laying around here somewhere. lol
encore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #20
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

I forgot which sioux I grew but it was average, nothing stood out, taste or production.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #21
zeuspaul
Tomatovillian™

I like Sioux because of its nice medium size and standard blemish free shape. Taste varies depending on growing conditions.
zeuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #22
ABlindHog
Tomatovillian™

If I where planning to dry garden Sioux would be my first choice. Historically Souix is famous for it's productivity in Oklahoma during the dust bowl years.
ABlindHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #23
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

I am planting the Chapman this year for the first time.
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 26, 2018   #24
Goodloe
Tomatovillian™

Alrighty, then. We've got some yeas...some nays...and some mehs. I'm gonna give it a shot if I can work it in; I'll let y'all know! Thanks for your comments.

Jon
Goodloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #25
chiefbeaz
Tomatovillian™

Default sioux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodloe View Post
You started them from seed? I wonder if seedlings are available somewhere around here? btw...let me know if you might want some seedlings; looks like I will have some extra tomato and pepper seedlings left over...
Not sure if this was directed at me, but I did start them from seeds and have quite a few seeds if you want to try them. I liked them a lot and have some germinating as we speak. Send me your address and they will be in the mail ,no trade necessary.
chiefbeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #26
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Anything else? Production? Flavor?
it's ok but not exceptional in those categories. If you grow 100 varieties, would be worth growing Sioux. 10? not so much.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2018   #27
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am planting the Chapman this year for the first time.
Mine sprouted in a few days, I started them with Big Beef and they going head to head.
Old February 27, 2018   #28
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
it's ok but not exceptional in those categories. If you grow 100 varieties, would be worth growing Sioux. 10? not so much.

Good Answer!
Old February 28, 2018   #29
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Ha Goodloe! You got all sorts of answers. That means..you have to grow it yourself and see!

I myself had a so-so year with it. BUT my DW has a little Cherokee in her so she wasn't thrilled with the idea of a Sioux tomato in her garden! lol

Greg
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2018   #30
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cabluck View Post
Have grown Sioux for the past six years in Austin, Tx. Seed from Tomato Growers Supply. It germinates well. In early state, the plant seems flimsy (almost "leggy") when compared to most other varieties, but gains strength and does not seem to "bush" out. It adapts well to being grafted onto hardy rootstock. Stnads up well against the heat. Side-by-side comparisons, grafted vs non-grafted, do not show much difference, at least hereabouts. Tasty, baseball-sized, red, no interior pithy-ness. Of the 12-15 plants planned for this year's garden, we'll include two Sioux.
I have grown Sioux and Super Sioux in South Florida without much difference between them. However, I grew "Sweet Sioux" from Gurneys or Henry Field and they were superb. It seems you can't get the seed or plants anymore.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote