Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 21, 2013   #1
elixir
Tomatovillian™

Default Already using copper - Add Actinovate or Exel LG?

First, my plants seem healthy right now. But this is my first time growing tomatoes and I don't want to lose the crop that's nearing maturity. I picked up copper earlier in the season to treat mildew.

Since I'm already using copper sulfate as a foliar spray, I'd rather not buy two more products. Between Actinovate or Exel LG, which would be more beneficial to add as a preventative measure?
elixir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Read this thread from last year: Another Actinovate question

Although the bacteria in Actinovate are tolerant of copper fungicides, copper sulfate is very high in copper and is the most dangerous to biological's, according to Natural Industries, "Do not tank mix with any form of peroxide or copper sulphate"

Also from their Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: Is it okay to use Actinovate with copper-based or hydrogen peroxide products?
A: Copper-based or hydrogen peroxide products typically wipe out all microbes. It is recommended to apply copper-based or hydrogen peroxide-based products separately from Actinovate applications.

As far as Excel LG and Copper Sulfate, I wouldn't mix 2 chemicals together, if they react it could be bad. Applying them separately I don't know
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21, 2013   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

EXEL LG. It adds a systemic to the mix plus Actinovate has NOT been tested with copper sulfate and is not recommended by the maker. Plus your copper sulfate is a Bactericide which is not a good mix for Actinovate. But as Ray suggested alternate your applications of copper and EXEL LG.

Last edited by amideutch; May 21, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote