Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old April 10, 2011   #46
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Wagner View Post
Your Cocoon Khuchi vines appear to be long maturing types in your picture...like 150 day type that need shorter days to tuberize.
Tom- i worked out how long they've been growing for and its 160 days so far,they are still alive and have the odd flower still,i'll keep them going till the end of the month using a sprinkler to stop any frost and see if they have fulled out more.
Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2011   #47
wingnut
Tomatovillian™

I was thinking that a person could use 'PANDA CLOTH' to 'BLACK OUT' those plants that need short day-length starting mid june, that should give them plenty of frost free time to tuberize. Any poinsettia growers out there already set up?
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 1, 2011   #48
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Did you harvest those potato yet Richard? How does it look Lo Owl Skycap and Blue Diamond this second time around?

I planted Mystery TPS outdoors some are too soon to tell but I spotted a pink, blue and white tubers in stolons forming.
Old June 3, 2011   #49
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmontanez View Post
Did you harvest those potato yet Richard? How does it look Lo Owl Skycap and Blue Diamond this second time around?

I planted Mystery TPS outdoors some are too soon to tell but I spotted a pink, blue and white tubers in stolons forming.
The Lo Owl Skycap and Blue Diamond did ok,the crop size was nowhere as large as Cara and Catriona,ive got a Maori potato i had been growing for 20 years called Kowiniwini which was always a poor producer,i used to wonder why i bothered,well this season it produced one plant that grew lots a good sized tubers,so i'll grow from that one next year.

Moie-moie and Mystery as usual had big crops,ive noticed with Mystery that some potatoes can have white on the inside so starting this season i want to try and select that tendency out, i kelp the tubers from each plant separate till i had them all dug then went through and cut open a few from each pile,only those that were solid purple were saved for later in the year.

So if you were to cross the flowers from the three different colours that you will get from the Mystery TPS would you end up getting the same as what ive got?

You should get a white as well Wendy
Old October 15, 2011   #50
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Harvest of Mystery today. Here you can see the types I got from the segregation. One of the pink has the end white! I am not sure what is that all about, same with one of the white has a bluish hue in the apical end.

Taste test on the open tubers, I liked the flavor of the blue and white, the white was plain boring, and the red and the completely blue was earthy but hard (thinking of trying a bigger one to see again)

Old October 16, 2011   #51
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Done well Wendy, please ignore my post in the Moie moie thread,this post answers my questions.

The purple/blue one you've cut open have thrown back to the Urenika but the colour is lacking in what it should be for Urenika or even Mystery,should be solid purple mostly though Mystery can have white blobs/spots but this something i'm selecting out.
i would be curious i see if the colour varies amoung the other tubers.You may find also that the colour may vary between different plants,how many TPS plants of Mystery did you grow Wendy??
Old October 16, 2011   #52
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

This link really shows how dark inside they should be

http://sundayhotpants.nocturne.net.n...3/urenikasalad
Old October 16, 2011   #53
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Richard,

I counted 6 plants in my pictures. But do to lack of more space I grew them together in a container. Most of my TPS were grown like that.

It could be that the longer dark blue spud are 2 types, one blue solid and another with blue/white? I did not want to cut open too many to check flesh colors, greedy me The rounder blue has few a little oval almost.

Old October 16, 2011   #54
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Were you planing to grow on some of those blue tubers Wendy
Old October 16, 2011   #55
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

The dark blue/purple when cooked does looks just like the Urenika picture. My plan is to grow them of course, next spring to start my maori collection. I like the looks of the one red inside.

Last edited by wmontanez; October 16, 2011 at 03:40 PM.
wmontanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2011   #56
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Ok. I got this crazy idea today.... If I cut the blue tubers open I can grow the apical end to get a plant indoors and eat the rest because I am about to die of curiosity if I have those long tubers from 2 plants and one is like urenika? I would not know until next year! I don't think I could wait until next fall to find out.
Old October 23, 2011   #57
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

That way there you can check the colour inside and only grow the ones that have the full purple/blue colour
Can you post a photo once you've cut them Wendy??
Old October 23, 2011   #58
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Exactly Richard, so it is not crazy!

I told my husband about it, his comment was "have you heard yourself? I think you are obsessed and sound more nerd each day. The deparment of agriculture is going to come and take you away" to which I replied "free the seeds" of course I am nerd and obsessed, we all are if you get this involved is for a reason. I can't get into breeding or I am going all in

I gladly post the pictures. Tonight for dinner: Potato ends
Old October 23, 2011   #59
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Ok. Bit disappointed. None of the long or elongated types were completely blue but had some white splashes. The round were the only ones with darker blue.

Picture
Old October 23, 2011   #60
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

You're not alone Wendy,am i told i'm obsessed??,YES,but thats alright.

Its been two years since i last grew the TPS of Mystery so i'd forgotten just how much colour or lack of it they had and looking at those they don't have as much as Mystery or Urenika should,if you realy want to have Urenika in your collection i could hunt some down and send it to you.
You may find that once you get a crop off the Mystery tubers i sent you it would be better to select from those instead.