Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion for successfully cultivating potatoes, the world's fourth largest crop.

Old March 9, 2012   #46
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

I have some seeds from berries I saved from last fall and forgot about in the garage. Some of the centers were still gooey when I extracted the seeds. I rinsed and dried them so these will be the ones I am going to try this week. This was a stray plant that came up with the Skagit Magic. Don't know if they are good or not as they didn't produce anything but berries last year.
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2012   #47
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark0820 View Post
Richard,

For TPS, do you just plant seeds the first year, then save tubers to plant as seed each year there after?
I started with five different TPS from Tom,two did really well Lo Owl Skycap and Diamond blue,so those two ive replanted twice now from the biggest and best plants and are doing really well,lo Owl Skycap has even helped me win a few shows.
Interesting though that there's another TPS grown spud,forgotten its name but could find it though,it was one that Tom said was a long season type but it never did well and only grew a tuber half as long as your small finger,well this one has managed to regrow itself in my volunteer block,had a look under one plant a few days ago and the tubers are a lot bigger so i'm thinking i might add it back into my main block again next growing season and start selecting from it.

Medbury Gardens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2012   #48
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Those of you who have grown TPS. Have you been replanting the saved tubers, planting seed you have saved or sowing more seed from the original packet?
Yes thats what i'm doing

Old March 9, 2012   #49
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmette View Post
Those of you who have grown TPS. Have you been replanting the saved tubers, planting seed you have saved or sowing more seed from the original packet?
saved tubers: yes
seed saved (tsp seed from berries i asume): yes
original packet tps: not yet, too many things to add, i am saving the tps if I lose the new tubers
Old March 9, 2012   #50
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

Was that volunteer Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi? Leaving it the ground to re-grow adapting to your NZ environment. This year Richard, I plan to leave some tubers in the ground it may work for me... Wouldn't be nice to have a "perennial patch"?
Old March 9, 2012   #51
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Yes you're on to it Wendy, it is Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi

Old March 9, 2012   #52
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Photo just taken shows Cocoon Khuchi Khuchi ,the small leaf potato,Mystery at the back and ?? maybe Cara? to the right

Old March 10, 2012   #53
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

Further more to the subject of perennial patches,in my orchard i have a patch of spuds that have been growing in one spot of over five years,have no idea how they got there,because i dont mow the area they grow quite happily amoung the red/white clover and Alfalfa.
The TPS can be a real weed as well , in my main garden area potatoes often get pulled where they've never been grown before ,going by the colour of the stem they appear to be from my Mystery line.
I'm sure what happens is that i step on the berries when i'm in the potato block and the seeds get stuck on the bottom of my shoes which come off in the other garden.

Old March 10, 2012   #54
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I'll keep muy eyes open this year since I lost some berries that fell off
Old March 10, 2012   #55
Medbury Gardens
Tomatovillian™

I'm sure you will get them popping up else where Wendy,its amazing just how much of that Mystery TPS goes.

Old March 10, 2012   #56
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

I am really looking forward to grow all 4 segregations of Mystery TPS, your Mystery selection and Moie-Moie. The maori potato bed using the cinder block spacers again and next to a row of those from Tom's sampler. My goal is to try to get berry set on Moie-Moie.
Old April 13, 2012   #57
peppero
Tomatovillian™

Default tps seedlings: what to do next /

after reading the posts on this thread i finally got some tps from new world tubers and now have some seedlings about 1 inch tall. i planted about 6 per 6 pack cell so how long should i wait before they are trans planted and should they be transplanted into the ground or perhaps into 4 inch pots? after that at what point should they be harvested? is there a tutorial on these questions already posted some where ? i would appreciate some direction . jon
peppero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012   #58
bakob
Tomatovillian™

Today I received a gift package TPS from Joseph Lofthouse. Seeds are a healthy look. If you need, please contact :
Joseph Lofthouse
Post Office Box 538
Paradise, Utah 84328
Phone: 435-225-4439
eMail: Garden@Lofthouse.com
Web: http://Garden.Lofthouse.com
FaceBook: http://www.facebook.com/Josephs.Garden
p.s. Joseph is a very attentive person.
bakob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14, 2012   #59
wmontanez
Tomatovillian™

@Peppero
I am not aware of a tutorial but there are few videos of Tom talking about his method.

I posted my progress is more detail over at http://tatermater.pro boards.com/ind...ead=331&page=2

At least there are pictures with dates so you can compare your progress against those. I did not have a huge harvest on the first year but enough to taste test them and save for replanting.

At 3 weeks after sowing they had 4 true leaves and got a first potting up either to bury the whole stem or into individual 4in pots.

After 2 months after sowing the plants were 6in tall and ready to plant outdoors.
Old January 22, 2013   #60
Akelei
Tomatovillian™

Hello there,

I'm new in this forum and glad about a lot of useful informations about TPS. I'll start TPS for first time this year.I had luck to find ONE man in Switzerland who sell them.My potatoes never produced fruits.This method is very uncommon here but I'm allways looking for a new things! Will let you know about my progress in TPS!

Akelei
Akelei is offline   Reply With Quote