Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating all other edible garden plants.

Old March 12, 2007   #1
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Default Recent history made in my garden!

This is the 15th year I've gardened in the 30 X 50 foot plot next to our house. For 14 years that plot nurtured tomatoes, peppers, and basil.

Well, out there as of late this afternoon is a 10 foot long, 6 inch wide planting of a Sugar Snap pea called Sugar Sprint, from Johnny's (one of the short growing snap peas). Soon, swiss chard Bright Lights and a few varieties of red crisphead lettuce (Carmen, Magenta) will join the peas.

Then the squash, the beans, the corn and melons. It is so nice to be branching out! (of course, there is the matter of the 60 or so tomatoes and 30 or so peppers and eggplant that will be growing in pots in my driveway!).
Old March 12, 2007   #2
duajones
Tomatovillian™

Go for it! There is history in my garden as well, first time tomatoes in the ground. Also a first for okra, eggplant, potatoes. Im taking baby steps compared to your leaps...LOL
duajones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12, 2007   #3
Spatzbear
Tomatovillian™

It is very satisfying harvesting your lunch or dinner, which consists of a variety of produce from the garden!

Wishing you a very successful harvest of all kinds of goodies!
Spatzbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2007   #4
MawkHawk
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spatzbear View Post
It is very satisfying harvesting your lunch or dinner, which consists of a variety of produce from the garden!

Wishing you a very successful harvest of all kinds of goodies!
I agree. I grow a good variety of stuff and you can't beat picking your dinner from your own garden. The problem is that each new plant comes with its own problem pests / diseases....
Old March 13, 2007   #5
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

This is only recent history - I had much better garden plots (better soil and sun exposure, less disease, no deer) in 3 different locations in Pennsylvania - so I've grown very good corn, beans, melons (Moon and Stars the best I've eaten), even leeks, onions, broccoli and cauliflower, in gardens there. I've been in withdrawl (also, the local farmer's market has loads of such things...but still, not as good as home grown, especially the beans and corn!).

The other thing is that I am looking forward to NOT digging holes to pound in 75 eight foot tall tomato stakes, and spending countless hours tying those growing monsters to the stakes all summer long!
Old March 13, 2007   #6
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Sugar Sprint is really good. It truly is stringless. I've planted my peas but none have popped up yet. Just radishes so far.
Old March 13, 2007   #7
natural
Tomatovillian™

I second Moon and Stars for the BEST melon. Plus it's just amazing to look at. I saw that Baker Creek has Moon and Stars Yellow Meat melon. Anyone grown it? I don't much care for yellow meat melons, but I am curious about this one.

This is my first year without planting Garlic. I miss it already. We usually save a good amount from the previous year, but we consumed all of it last Fall and Winter. Now I'll have to start over and spend a fortune next Fall to purchase new garlic (for the varieties that we like).
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13, 2007   #8
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

Natural, what garlic varieties do you usually plant? There is a small local garlic fest here every yr. They had a good selection, mostly organically grown, and the prices were really good. Between $6 & 7 / lb. I think I have around 8 or 10 varieties in for this yr.
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 16, 2007   #9
natural
Tomatovillian™

Flowerpower,

Thanks for the info. That is a much more appealing price. If you get the chance, please let me know what varieties might be available after harvest. I'll try anything that has good storage potential. The artichoke varieties have done pretty well for me here in the South.

I have only grown about 6 varieties total. My 2 favorites so far for this climate have been Inchelium Red and Polish White .

I have also grown New York White, German Extra Hardy and Red Russian. They produced well, but didn't store long enough to replant. (We usually plant in November here).
Bill
natural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2007   #10
flowerpower
Tomatovillian™

I would plant here in Oct.

I have never heard of NY White. There is both German White & Red that are very popular. I do have a list of what I planted. It's out in my shed in a folder. Offhand I know I have both German varieties, Italian Purple Stripe, Georgia Red, Music, Japanese ''something". There are more - just can't think of them
flowerpower is offline   Reply With Quote