Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old April 15, 2016   #16
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Syngenta owns Plantation Products which has the NK, Ferry Morse, Jiffy, American Seed & Livingston seed Brands. Also McKenzie in Canada.

MikeInCypress
Old April 15, 2016   #17
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaeagle View Post
OK next question;

How can Syngenta and and Plantation Products both own 100 percent of Northrup King at the same time?
So I will answer this question so I can attempt to get an answer to the original question

Plantation Buys Assets Of NK Lawn And Garden

Thursday, October 21, 2004
Plantation Products Inc. of Norton, Mass. is buying NK Lawn & Garden Company through Bankruptcy Court.
NK Lawn & Garden is a 120-year-old seed-packaging firm that moved its headquarters to Chattanooga in 1984.
It went into bankruptcy this summer, citing mounting debts.
It has continued in operation at its facility on Amnicola Highway.
U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge John Cook approved the sale.

http://www.chattanoogan.com/2004/10/...-Lawn-And.aspx

Not the same entity that Syngenta bought in 2012

Back to the original question

How is it possible for Plantation Products and NK (Northrup King) to both own 100 percent of Ferry Morse at the same time?
seaeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2016   #18
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInCypress View Post
Syngenta owns Plantation Products which has the NK, Ferry Morse, Jiffy, American Seed & Livingston seed Brands. Also McKenzie in Canada.

MikeInCypress
My research shows that Syngenta does not own Plantation Products

Plantation Products Acquired by Freeman Spogli & Co. and Management

Norton, MA, January 7, 2015 - Plantation Products, the market leader in seed packets and seed starting products in North America, announced that it has been acquired by Freeman Spogli & Co. The Company was purchased from RFE Investment Partners. Financial terms of the transaction were not disclosed.
Founded in 1980, Plantation Products distributes over 3,500 SKUs to a network of over 70,000 retail locations across the home center, mass merchant, farm and independent, dollar store, and distributor / co-op channels within the consumer lawn and garden category. The Company's portfolio of brands, including Ferry-Morse, American Seed, Livingston Seed, McKenzie, NK Lawn & Garden and Jiffy, are among the most recognizable in the seed packet and seed starting industry. Plantation also provides many of its retail customers with best-in-class category management services including SKU selection, packaging and displays, in-store merchandising services, and logistical solutions.
"We are excited to partner with Freeman Spogli as we expand our existing business and consider strategic growth avenues in adjacent product categories," said Michael Pietrasiewicz, Chief Executive Officer of Plantation. "Freeman Spogli's expertise in the consumer products, retail, and specialty distribution sectors will be an invaluable resource as we continue to grow our business."
"Michael Pietrasiewicz and the entire Plantation Products team have done a tremendous job building Plantation into the market-leading supplier of seed and seed starting products for flower and vegetable gardens across the U.S. and Canada," said Todd Halloran, a General Partner at Freeman Spogli. "Consumers value Plantation's broad selection and quality goods, and retailers appreciate its value-added services and support. We are very excited to partner with Plantation Products and look forward to helping the company continue its growth."
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius acted as the legal advisors to Freeman Spogli & Co. and Finn Dixon & Herling acted as the legal advisor to RFE Investment Partners. BlackArch Partners acted as sell-side advisors to RFE and the Company.

http://www.freemanspogli.com/news/plantation-products-acquired-by-freeman-spogli-co-and-management
Old April 15, 2016   #19
MikeInCypress
Tomatovillian™

Well I stand corrected. BTW, I have no ax to grind with any of these companies.

MikeInCypress
Old April 15, 2016   #20
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I just bought a bunch of seeds from Ferry Morse at Home Depot yesterday. They were BOGO. Even better, at the register, they just each rang up at half price. All of their seeds are on sale, even not F-M seeds.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2016   #21
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default Ferry Morse is innocent?

What I think we might have here is what they call an internet digital gardening virus.Someone on a gardening forum gets the facts wrong and it just keeps festering until it leads to people actually boycotting a fine company for little or no reason.

In the fine wisdom of Farmer Fred

A final hint when searching for garden answers on the Internet. Be leery of advice from gardening forums, unless that advice is linked to a study or research that you can also access.

I have emails sent out to Plantation Products and their parent company regarding any ties to these so called sinister seed companies.If they answer and give me permission to post it here I will
Old April 15, 2016   #22
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

In the past I've found it to be almost impossible to keep up with who buys whom, who merges with whom and on and on and I have no time to keep up with that..

As an example and this I know from memory when Monsanto was involved and several places refused to buy seeds from Seminis after Monsanto bought Seminis.

When John Peto left Burpee he went to CA and created PetoSeed ,then Peto was bought or was merged with 5 other companies that were then called Seminis,then Seminis Seeds was bought by Monsanto.

I probably still do have a link here somwhere,as to the history of Seminis.

And I do know someone who worked for NK, and then he was let go at some point due to downsizing or whatever. I can't remember his name,I knew him before he went to NK, and no way am I going to plod thru my older e-mails to find him.

Whatever seed company works best for one person may not for another, and who knows what variables were different for two folks using the same seed source. And I say this reviewing comments at Dave's Garden.

Carolyn
Old April 15, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

This is why I dont put out links to things that are of questionable sources.
This may be in the form of selling something or simply put a group or someone with an ax to grind.
I have always told the truth and have always felt that the cards need to fall where they fall.
I will also never trash a product due to its ownership of a big hated company.

If someone comes on line and says they wont buy anything from so and so because they dont like the company that is fine.
But to come on line and trash the product itself due to this bias opinion ((to me)) is wrong.
To say a company is evil and to spread the word in fact you may very well be hurting your self.
Many of these companies are publicly owned and have investors.
In your retirement plan you may very well unknowingly be invested in them at one time or another.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2016   #24
seaeagle
Tomatovillian™

Default E mail from Plantation Products

Basically just confirmed what we already knew, very fast response though about 2 hours

"Customer Service" <cs@plantationproducts.com>

Syngenta may have bought the bulk seed division of NK but they do not own the packet seed division of NK. NK packet seed division is owned by the same group that owns Ferry Morse and Livingston Seed. We are part of Freeman Spogli.

Thanks so much!

Jeanie