Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 3, 2014   #1
threex
Tomatovillian™

Default which preventative sprays????

anyone have some input on these three sprays im considering this year as a preventative measure to keep my crops in order.... Im not sure what to use to keep the bugs and diseases away.
Oxidate from Johnny seeds
Pyganic from Johnny seeds
and Daconil from Home Depot
threex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #2
RayR
Tomatovillian™

What to use depends on the species of plant and the specific pathogens and pests that plague them in your area. No one product is effective against everything and there is whole bunch of other products besides those three.

A number of people here use Daconil (Chlorothalonil) as a chemical preventative against foliar fungal pathogens on tomato, mainly Early Blight and Septoria.

Oxidate (27% hydrogen dioxide) is supposed to be effective against Botrytis gray mold, mixed results on other fungal pathogens. Their new version Oxidate 2.0 formula has the addtion of 2% peroxyacedic acid. They also have an more cost effective RTU version for home gardeners that doesn't require HAZMAT shipping. The concentrated version is dangerous to handle without necessary precautions by the user. Haven't heard any reports yet here on TV from anyone who has used it.

Pyganic is a brand of pyrethrin insecticide. Other brands out there that are the same thing or similar active ingredient (Pyrethrum) in smaller quantities. Works good as a knock down insecticide. I have some, wouldn't use it again unless there is an emergency infestation problem. It also kills beneficials if you spray it on them.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3, 2014   #3
threex
Tomatovillian™

Thanks I'm mainly concerned with blight, stinkbugs, aphids and mildews as they were my main problems last year. I didn't take a proactive approach and they got the best of me. Would like to try to use a pump sprayer this year and stay ahead of the problem if possible.
Old April 4, 2014   #4
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Don't worry if you get ahead of one problem another one will pop up.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #5
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by threex View Post
Thanks I'm mainly concerned with blight, stinkbugs, aphids and mildews as they were my main problems last year. I didn't take a proactive approach and they got the best of me. Would like to try to use a pump sprayer this year and stay ahead of the problem if possible.
Unfortunately I don't know a gentle solution for stink bugs. They are like flying Sherman tanks. I go out with a portable vacuum cleaner (Dustbuster) and try to pick up the ones I can. If I had to use chemicals, I'd go for Ortho Bug-B-Gon Max but it's not even in the same zip code as organic.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #6
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

If you can catch the stink bugs in the nymph stage they are easy to kill with insecticidal soap but after that it is a battle. I use to knock them in bowl of soapy water but they have become militant in my garden. They fly at me like a bird protecting a nest.

I finally found something that works pretty well. It is EcoSmart Organic Garden Insect Killer. It has rosemary, peppermint, thyme and clove oil in it. You would think it would smell pretty good with all those herbs but it doesn't. If you spray a stink bug or leaf footed bug they start staggering around like a drunk and within a few minutes they are dead.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
How big is your garden?
Old April 4, 2014   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayrobbins View Post
I finally found something that works pretty well. It is EcoSmart Organic Garden Insect Killer. It has rosemary, peppermint, thyme and clove oil in it. You would think it would smell pretty good with all those herbs but it doesn't. If you spray a stink bug or leaf footed bug they start staggering around like a drunk and within a few minutes they are dead.
Wow I am going to buy that stuff by the gallon.

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4, 2014   #9
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

I use a mix of molasses, hot peppers(hottest you can find), garlic, neem oil(or veg oil if out of neem), and un scented dish soap. For stink bugs google "2 litre bottle stink bug trap" I'm gonna try it out this year and see how it does along with hand picking. Keeping space between your plants and pruning will make them easier to find. The molasses in the mix keeps caterpillars and tomato worms away. The soap and oil will kill soft bodied stuff and the neem and garlic help with fungal stuff
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2014   #10
threex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
How big is your garden?
I have 6 15x4 raised beds
Old April 7, 2014   #11
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

We use Oxidate. My FIL bought it for the raspberries a few years ago (and I thought he was crazy! the stuff is expensive I think he paid $200.00 for a 5 gallon container of it) We love it. It works very well for controlling the mold on raspberries in the wet humid weather and it is same day entry I do believe. I think it would be usable in the tomatoes, too.

Pyganics is also VERY expensive. I think the last time I looked at it it was also in the 500-700.00 range for a gallon, but I have no idea what the usage rate is, we couldn't justify the initial cost to find out.
Old April 7, 2014   #12
SteveS
Tomatovillian™

RootLoops, I tried the 2 liter bottle stinkbug traps last year.
I wouldn't waste your time.
I don't think I saw 1 stinkbug in the 8-10 traps I put out.
I had a stinkbug lure in 2 of the traps also.
Heck, I don't think I even saw a stinkbug near the traps.
I am going back to my cardboard sandwich traps this year.
Best of luck to you!
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2014   #13
RootLoops
Tomatovillian™

thanks for that info, could you elaborate on your cardboard traps? anything to help with stinkbugs is great!!!
RootLoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2014   #14
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have 6 15x4 raised beds
For the size of your garden you should look at more cost effective solutions.
For Early Blight and Septoria on Tomato I use Actinovate

For Powdery Mildew on cucurbits I've found Neem Oil and Organicide 3 in 1 to be effective controls.
Organicide 3 in 1 also works pretty well to control spider mites last season.
You can also look at a Potassium Bicarbonate fungicide for PM like GreenCure

If you have any plants that are subject to a Downy Mildew infection, Organicide Plant Doctor works excellent. Agri-Fos is another brand of the same fungicide. Monterey markets Agri-Fos in smaller quantities.

Don't have any experience with Stink Bugs, I've only seen a few of those last season.
Old April 8, 2014   #15
threex
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
For the size of your garden you should look at more cost effective solutions.
For Early Blight and Septoria on Tomato I use Actinovate

For Powdery Mildew on cucurbits I've found Neem Oil and Organicide 3 in 1 to be effective controls.
Organicide 3 in 1 also works pretty well to control spider mites last season.
You can also look at a Potassium Bicarbonate fungicide for PM like GreenCure

If you have any plants that are subject to a Downy Mildew infection, Organicide Plant Doctor works excellent. Agri-Fos is another brand of the same fungicide. Monterey markets Agri-Fos in smaller quantities.

Don't have any experience with Stink Bugs, I've only seen a few of those last season.
How does daconil measure up against these? The organocide reviews don't look that great on amazon. May try that actinovate though