Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

NORCATT™ event information and discussion forum. Northern California Tomato Tasting

Old May 19, 2011   #1
Fred Hempel
Tomatovillian™

Default Is there a 2011 event? I don't see it.

I thought it might be good to go to this event, but I don't see anything about a 2011 event.
Old May 19, 2011   #2
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Fred, I've not seen any announcement or thread to that effect either. Also, I don't think there was a "NORCATT" event last year, although there may have been another event or two in the general area that might have been linked to or mentioned.

Year before last ('09), Brad Gates / Wild Boar Farms had a tasting at his farm that sort of served that function for the general area.

But as far as I know, there has not been a NORCATT tasting in the last couple of years, and maybe folks need to get that going again depending on interest.

If memory serves, founders of NORCATT included coronabarb, chilhuacle - who has not been on the forum for over 3 years, and a few other folks. I think Barb has moved recently to the southern part of the state too.

Anyhow, Barb, Brad or some others might have some insight or some suggestions on how to proceed. I'm thinking someone needs to renew interest in and/or be willing to step up and help coordinate the event at this point to get that ball rolling again.
Old May 20, 2011   #3
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Suze,

I lived in So Calif when I organized the first one. I was coming up for a visit to my sister in Sacramento and somehow it came together...with the help of several folks in the area. Then, I began taking care of my mom and couldn't make the trip up.

All it takes is a few people in Nor Cal want to get together and pick a location and a date. Where do you live, Fred? Anyone else in the Bay/Sacto area interested in sampling each others' tomatoes this summer?
Old May 20, 2011   #4
MJACTIVIST
Tomatovillian™

Default 20th Annual Tomato Festival

http://www.fairfieldmainstreet.com/c...-Festival.html
I don't know about this one. Never been, but it looks like it will be ok.

I could do without the magicians & jugglers, but I guess not everything is perfect.
L8
MJ
Old May 24, 2011   #5
kristy
Tomatovillian™

Is there interest in putting another one together? Barb, any plans to come up to visit your sister late this summer?
Old May 25, 2011   #6
coronabarb

kristy,

No plans at this point but one never knows. ;-)

I would suggest getting a roll call of how many are interested and what areas they live in. Then, pick an approx date and decide on a location...it could be a park or you could piggy back on another tasting like the one at Morning Sun Herb Farm in Vacaville, I think it is. I've been there twice, wonderful place. Their tomato tasting was a bust as the tomatoes were watery and flavorless. You could bring yours and taste in the parking lot or meet at a nearby park, etc.

Hey MJ, just went to look at the Fairfield Tomato Festival...looks great. They had 30,000 visitors last year??? Wow! Might be hot there in August? But this does look like fun.

So, find out who lives where and what events are in your area and post it here.

Who's in and where do you live???
Old May 25, 2011   #7
coronabarb

kristy in Carmichael, are you the Kristy I met in '05? If so, can't believe it's been 6 yrs. :-)
Old May 28, 2011   #8
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I heard about the 09' event and was bummed out that there was not an event last year. I dont think Brad visits here much and I havent heard anything about a 2011 event. But I know Fred has a nice place (wink wink), hehehe.

Damon
Old May 28, 2011   #9
kristy
Tomatovillian™

Yes, I am, Barb. I arranged for the site of the first NORCATT. The baby I had that summer is just finishing up kindergarten. There's a picture of here on my blog here http://muddytoesandgarbanzos.blogspo...my-garden.html

Lidia, the woman who arranged the Cupertino tasting last year (in which Brad participated) is a friend of mine -- she used to work with my husband. I'll contact her before moving ahead to try to set up something this summer, maybe to coordinate dates to make it more convenient. I would really like to participate something informal for tomato-growing gardeners this summer (rather than the more formal winery setting she had in the bay area, which just doesn't fit into my family's life very well) and I'd be totally willing to work on setting something up here locally. I may just coordinate with a couple of local Sacramento garden bloggers and then share the info here. Any thoughts? I would also email Brad about participating or seeing if he'd willing to host again. He's probably much better located to get good participation here, since I think more of you guys are in the bay area. I also encourage you guys in the bay area to see about participating in Lidia's event. She hasn't updated her greensteaders page lately, but that would be a good place to find info http://www.greensteaders.org/
Old May 28, 2011   #10
coronabarb

kristy, she's ADORABLE! Thanks for looking into this...I have no idea what summer holds for me this year but sure would love to come up if it's in the Sacto area.

ps - love the blog too