Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old October 26, 2013   #1
Smithma
Tomatovillian™

Default Beneficial Nematode question

First let me say i have not seen any root knot nematodes when i pulled my plants this year. But, Has any one used beneficial Nematodes? I read that they help in root uptake of PH, will rid the soil of ants, grubs and other larval stage critters. Get rid of the grubs and the moles should stay away.
Any thoughts.
Smithma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2013   #2
beeman
Tomatovillian™

I am a believer in using beneficial nematodes, in fact will be using them again next season.
I used them a few years ago, since then no soil insects. They even kill codling moth, lawn grubs, any soil living insects. This season I notice some damage on my carrots from wire worms, so will 'get' them next year.
They do work, if installed correctly in damp conditions.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013   #3
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

We did a thread a while back concerning RKN and the only biological control out there that had any effect was Trichoderma harzianum. If you be talking about the above mentioned critters yes beneficial nematodes are effective but not on RKN.

Ami

http://www.biologicco.com/pests-and-controls

Last edited by amideutch; October 27, 2013 at 06:36 AM.
amideutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013   #4
beeman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithma View Post
Get rid of the grubs and the moles should stay away.
Any thoughts.
I missed this point from the original post, but it's not quite true. Moles are attracted and eat worms, so getting rid of grubs will have little effect on the mole problem.
As 'amideutch' said they have little effect on RKN, but do a good number on other soil bourne insects.
beeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013   #5
RayR
Tomatovillian™

There are many different species and races of parasitic nematodes that target specific crops as well as insect larvae that cause similar damage. It's important to get familiar with the types of soil pests that are common in your region.

Many years ago I had a problem with damage to carrots. I suspected nematodes were the problem because the holes on the carrots were very small. I used beneficial nematodes the next season. The results were remarkable.

I recently listened to a presentation by a local certified organic garlic farmer here who works closely with Cornell and he talked about the Stem and Bloat Nematode (Ditylenchus dipsaci) that is a problem for many New York and Ontario garlic growers. He recommended a three year rotation with planting mustard seed as a cover crop and tilling it in before flowering. He hasn't had any problem with bloat nematodes on his farm using that method.

Buying beneficial nematodes is probably an expensive option for a large scale grower, but doable for a small garden.
Increasing organic matter in the soil promotes an increase in fungal and bacterial communities that protect roots from parasitic nematodes. Trichoderma harzianum is a very inexpensive control option in this case.

Root Knot Nematodes are not a problem up north where the winters are long and the ground gets frozen. but for gardeners further south where RKN does survive, the predator nematode species Steinernema feltiae hunts Root Knot Nematodes (Meloidogyne spp) as well as fungus gnat larva I believe.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2013   #6
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

http://gardeningzone.com/products/ne...otknot-control

Ray, thanks for the info which is good to know and here is a link to where you can get it.

Ami