Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

NORCATT™ event information and discussion forum. Northern California Tomato Tasting

Old February 9, 2007   #1
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Default Has everyone started their seeds yet?

Hi All,

Just curious, has everyone started their seeds yet? I plan on starting this weekend.

This is my first time starting them this late. Last year, I made the mistake of starting them in early January. This year, I am taking Kristy's advice and starting them mid-Feb. Hopefully, I have better results than last year.

Take care.

Cheers,

Angelique
Old February 9, 2007   #2
Downinmyback
Tomatovillian™

I started mine Wednesday. It still cold as crap outside lol.
Old February 10, 2007   #3
Spider
Tomatovillian™ Honoree

Default Hot Peppers-Tomatoes Next

I have started hot pepper seeds and have numerous seedlings under light; will start tomatoes; eggplants and bells at the end of this month. Was Zone 6, now Zone 7 here in "Bluegrass Country", Kentucky
Old February 10, 2007   #4
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

I have a 6 pack of Sophie's Choice going as my early tomatoes (started Jan 31st). I also have an over-wintered Red Robin that's about to ripen a few.

Jan 30th I started about 20 varieties of peppers and some Yellow Canary tomatoes, most of those are up. This year I’m going to wait on starting the main crop of tomatoes ‘til Feb. 28th so I don’t have to carry ‘em around so much.

Bruce
Old February 10, 2007   #5
Earl
Tomatovillian™

I started these on Jan, 22nd. Will be my earlies, hoping to plant first week of April in area heated with clear plastic, but this cold weather may hinder planting time.

Azoychka
Kimberly
Lime Green Salad
Mano
Moscwich
New Big Dwarf
Praleska
Polish Dwarf

Here's what they looked like a couple days ago.
Old February 10, 2007   #6
landarc
Tomatovillian™

No, I haven't gotten around to it yet, been too busy. But, I am thinking maybe tomorrow, if I can get the seed starting mix from the nursery. I am also still waiting for some seeds from TGS, not that I don't have a few other seeds laying about the place.

Bob
Old February 11, 2007   #7
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

I should have started my seeds by now.

I was very busy at work the past few months, and I'm now "over the hump." However, that has left me with little time, money, or energy for a garden.

Furthermore, my building manager is currently frowning on my use of parking lot space for potted plants; he doesn't want anything crowding the cars. So I don't know where I'll find space to plant.

(I have MANY containers to get rid of. Most are 15 gallons in size.)

Last summer I also asked a neighbor to water my plants while I was away on vacation, and said she could help herself to any ripe tomatoes in my absence. Well, she kept helping herself to them even after my return. :-( I never got to taste Campbell 1327; those were two lovely huge fruits and she took both!

I don't know what do do right now. Grumble.

GTG
Old February 11, 2007   #8
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all for the info. I started most of them today. I am still waiting on my package from Sandhill for a few more varieties. I have started way more varieties than I plan to grow. This year, I plan on having a limit of 18 (6 in ground, 12 in home made earthboxes) and a few in a sq ft garden (epoch, latah, sophies choice, citron compact, and perphaps lime green salad). The sq ft garden is 9x3. Also plan on adding, nastursiums (sp???), beans and sunflowers.

As most of the locals know, I lost most of my plants last year to nematodes and F wilt. The homemade earthboxes and sq ft garden are new to my yard. I am really hoping for better results this year.
Old February 12, 2007   #9
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Hi All,

How about a seedling exchange in April? Spider & Gary, why don't you come on over and join us! ;-)

I haven't started my seeds yet but will around the end of the month barring any untoward circumstances. I'm still fermenting seeds from the few remaining tomatoes that have ripened up inside after our hard freezes. Quedlinburger Frue Liebe's fruit were among the first to ripen and last fruit I got for the season.

I'm still packaging up seeds, seeds, and more seeds to send out to folks. John told me that he'd be happier if I wait to start seeds for the new season until I get everything gardening related from last season put away.

Let's see here... in all mixed-up order:

Angelique:

I started writing a note to you a while back but haven't finished it (still gathering facts), as I've found some very promising information about dealing with nematode problems (both by planting vegetables [eg mustard, etc.], that reduce or eliminate nematodes and by choosing N-resistant strains). I'll send the information I have (so far) on that as an email to you very shortly so that you can also look into it if you wish to. I didn't remember your having a Fusarium problem too. Drat. I'll start poking around about that too and get back to you.

GTG:

Oh no! Do you have any thoughts on where you might do some growing this season? I over-wintered a small, late-germinating Visitation Valley plant in my kitchen window and had planned on offering it to you. I was disappointed with the flavor of the garden-grown one last season. Rats. I'm still waiting for PSR-37 (Tim Peters' dehybridization of Early Girl) seeds to arrive along with the other things I've ordered from Peters Seed & Research this season. Will be glad to share once I get them.

I'll try and stay in touch as the season progresses.

Cheers to all,
Betsy
Old February 13, 2007   #10
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Betsy.

I tried planting a mustard mix in a 30'x4' part of my yard. Unfortunately, I started it late and it is only a few inches tall. In theory, it should be about 4-5' high by mid next month. Oh well, I think that I will continue to use this bed for cukes and squash. They both did well last year.

I had problems with F Wilt and Nematodes 2 years ago in the 30x4' bed. This year, I had problems with nematodes in the 7x4' bed.

I am going to take my chances with tomatoes in the 7x4' bed. Since last, year, I have grown fennel, dill, snap peas (unsuccessfully) and lots of parsley in this bed. I have added lots of compost to the bed too. I only plan on growing 6 tomato plants (2 rows of three plants) w/o anything else between the plants. I'll pull the plants out early if need be. In the Fallr, I might try adding shrimp meal (see thread in diesease/pest forum) and the mustard mix to the 7x4' bed.

DH is going to make me 6 homemade earthboxes. I plan to have 2 tomato plants in each box. I am also going to try growing 8 dwarf tomato plants (along w/bush beans, nasturiums, etc) in the bed.
Old February 17, 2007   #11
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

I'll be starting mine this weekend. This is the latest start ever for me! Usually I start in Jan., and have to contend with long and leggy plants. Such is my impatience. And besides, I'm still trying to whittle down my 'grow' list...

Dee
Old February 18, 2007   #12
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

I'm trying to talk myself into it. I want to grow out fewer varieties this year and try to have multiples of some varieties. I also want to grow out/rogue out some "mystery" varieties which have captured my interest.

This means negotiating some sunny space in my yard for no more than two dozen 15-gallon pots, and having to haul in dirt/amendments for each, or taking my chances using the dirt that's already in each (and we all know fresh potting mix is better).

My big problem every year (besides the space/sun issue, and the blight that always visits) is getting someone to water them when I go away for vacation in August.

GTG
Old February 24, 2007   #13
pbud
Tomatovillian™

I started seeds on 2/20, my latest start ever. GTG, seeds from sugar lump that you gave me last year were the first to sprout - in 2.5 days - speedy little fellows.

I'd offer to help water your plants in Aug, but I'll be gone for much of the month too.

Paul
Old February 24, 2007   #14
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Hi pbud,

Long time no hear! Hope you and yours are doing well.

That's nice to hear about Sugar Lump. You will be pleased with this little red cherry tomato; it has won high marks at two NORCATT tomato tastings. At our 2006 tasting, some older gentleman said it tasted the way he remembered tomatoes tasting long ago (and he sampled a lot of them that day).

I am still not sure about my own garden this year. I started a number of seeds on 2/18. I might give away started plants but I don't know about growing any out myself. Will have to think about this.

GTG