Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating tomatillos.

Old June 12, 2007   #1
AJgeo
Tomatovillian™

Default Anyone growing tomatillos in Columbus, OH?

I live in Columbus, OH and I am growing a tomatillo plant I started from seed. I am only growing one because I have had too many fruit in the past with two plants. However, after reading the conflicting available information on tomatillo pollination, I am concerned that I will not have fruit set due to the apparent poor or complete lack of self-pollination. So, I would rather be safe than sorry. I cannot find seedlings at any of the local nurseries. So, if anyone is growing tomatillos in the Columbus, OH area, I would like to take a cutting or two if possible. I am starting two more seeds, but it will probably be late in the season before I began to get flowers. So, if you can help me out, drop me a pm. Thanks!
AJgeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2007   #2
igarden
Tomatovillian™

just a thought AJgeo. perhaps you could make some starts from your one plant like one does with tomato plants. cut off a branch that has two joints, at least, strip all the leaves off but for the top two/one, and put in soil...some use rootone... in a matter of a few days, it should take root and you'd have another plant.
igarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2007   #3
AJgeo
Tomatovillian™

I thought of that and I'm not sure if it would work because genetically its the same plant. However, I have nothing to loose, so I think I will try it. Meanwhile, I've planted two more seeds, so I should at least have a late season crop.
AJgeo is offline   Reply With Quote