Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

NORCATT™ event information and discussion forum. Northern California Tomato Tasting

Old August 5, 2011   #1
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato tastings at nurseries

I noticed a few nurseries are having some tomato tastings this month. In past years, the ones I attended had a relatively small selection.

Roger Reynolds Nursery, Menlo Park / Atherton
Sat Aug 6. 1-3 pm

Yamagami Nursery, Cupertino
Sun Aug 14, 10 am - 12 noon
Old August 5, 2011   #2
cornbreadlouie
Tomatovillian™

I'm close, but not close enough.... Would be cool if there was one nearby but I don't have quite enough to share with the public.
Old September 13, 2011   #3
lidiam
Tomatovillian™

Would you be able to share some of your tomatoes at our tasting event scheduled for 24th of September in Cupertino (http://tomatobash.org)? You would of course be invited free to the event! We would love to have as many different varieties as possible. Plus it is always good to have a comparison between farm and garden grown tomatoes... ;-)

Lidia
Old September 13, 2011   #4
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Here is the corrected link:

http://www.greensteaders.com/events/2011/tomatobash/

I know some folks attended last year - - what was the impression?

Raybo
Old September 13, 2011   #5
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitat_gardener View Post

Yamagami Nursery, Cupertino
Sun Aug 14, 10 am - 12 noon
I attended this event by accident (went to Yamagami's for some Take Down Garden Spray). Single table with 15 Varieties. Steve Goto was there promoting their Fall tomato offerings. Wasn't impressed by the tomatoes they were offering. $8.00 per plant. No Thanks!!

Raybo
Old September 14, 2011   #6
amy.sutor
Tomatovillian™

Default Tomato Bash through GreenSteaders

I just wanted to say that the tomato bash is an awesome event that really gives you the chance to truly taste quality heirlooms and to get ideas on how to cook with them as well as growing tips. I have gone every year and attended seed exchanges with GreenSteaders as well. I highly suggest checking it out! I think if you donate 9 lbs of your hinge grown tomatoes you get in free, but you'd have to check with GreenSteaders on that. I am not certain. They may have volunteer opportunities as well! Either web site gets you the same information: tomatobash.com or greensteaders.org they're one in the same.
Old September 14, 2011   #7
lidiam
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
Here is the corrected link:

http://www.greensteaders.com/events/2011/tomatobash/

I know some folks attended last year - - what was the impression?

Raybo

I would love to see some responses from other tomatovillans to this...

Here is my take. Although, I'm one of the organizers so my opinion just may be biased... I'll try to stick to the facts.

We had over 50 varieties of heirloom tomatoes for tasting from three sources: One Seed to Many, Full Circle Farm and Wild Boar Farms. Also, one of the local master gardeners, Marianne, also shared her tomatoes. Everyone I talked to, enjoyed the tomatoes. I was asking people if they thought any of the farmed tomatoes were overwatered, and thus have less flavor - but everybody thought they were plenty delicious. I think that by far the most popular one was Green Grape. Interestingly it has a strong and distinct flavour that seems to please every palet. The first year was attended by more gardeners. The last year (2010) we certainly attracted more foodies - I would love to see more gardeners participating, hence the best tomato contest this year.

Coming back to last year's event, since a picture is worth a thousand words, here are some to check out: http://www.greensteaders.com/events/...ash/index.html

Hope we will see you at TomatoBash this year! If you come, please say hi...

Lidia
Old September 19, 2011   #8
lidiam
Tomatovillian™

Forgot, here is an unbiased opinion from a participant in the last year's event:

http://dishbytrish.com/2010/09/28/he...-tasting-bash/