Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old January 23, 2015   #151
habitat_gardener
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbamWY View Post
...I look forward to reading Glens year in review. It makes me feel like he is old friend. I come from a long line of farmers so I can relate. Farming is not for sissies.
I just read the 2014 year in review on the website.
http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pages/about.html
Wow!
habitat_gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2015   #152
Mike Maurer
Tomatovillian™

My zip is 87144, hopefully I will get it this week!
Mike Maurer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2015   #153
Ken B
Tomatovillian™

Got ours yesterday, woo!!
Ken B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2015   #154
Tomato Beth
Tomatovillian™

I got my copy yesterday, too! I'm looking forward to paging through it and figuring out what I want to order.
Old May 25, 2015   #155
Palmandan
Tomatovillian™

Almost all of my heirlooms come from Sandhill. I'm even growing "Grub's Mystery" because I love the name. Supposedly a great green tomato. Green tomato? We shall see.
Palmandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #156
macmex
Tomatovillian™

I don't believe most gardeners are capable of exhausting all the possible varieties offered, or going to be offered by Sandhill Preservation. I think Glenn and Linda have more exclusive seeds, in frozen storage, waiting to be grown and cataloged than I could probably grow in my life time.

George
Tahlequah, OK
macmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2015   #157
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmex View Post
I don't believe most gardeners are capable of exhausting all the possible varieties offered, or going to be offered by Sandhill Preservation. I think Glenn and Linda have more exclusive seeds, in frozen storage, waiting to be grown and cataloged than I could probably grow in my life time.

George
Tahlequah, OK
George, Glenn does have a backlog of varieties that have been sent to him, but every year I send him seeds of the best that I've listed in my seed offer for him to trial/do seed production, but not this year b'c when I shoud have sent them in January I was dealing with the gallbladder problems and surgeries.

So my2015 offer will go up this summer and then the 2016 offer early next january, so he'll get double the number I usually send.

I've known Linda and Glenn for many many years and so he knows what I like and trusts that if I like something his customers might also. The hitch is that Glenn himself does NOT like eating tomatoes.

Carolyn
Old September 18, 2015   #158
Johnniemar
Tomatovillian™

I am looking for some spudakee seeds. Have 9 differnt heirlooms to exchange if anyone has spudakee. I have
German johnson
Pink honey
Aunt ginny
Brandywine pink
Giant Belgium
Watermelon tomato
Cheeokee purple
Mortgage lifter
Johnniemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2015   #159
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniemar View Post
I am looking for some spudakee seeds. Have 9 differnt heirlooms to exchange if anyone has spudakee. I have
German johnson
Pink honey
Aunt ginny
Brandywine pink
Giant Belgium
Watermelon tomato
Cheeokee purple
Mortgage lifter
John, to ask for varieties you need to go to the WANTED seed subforum, which is lower down on this page.

http://tomatoville.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Hope that helps, and I see you have few posts so I do hope that you will read about the different Forums here and ask and answer questions since we do consider Tville to be a community.

Carolyn
Old September 18, 2015   #160
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnniemar View Post
German johnson
Pink honey
Aunt ginny
Brandywine pink
Giant Belgium
Watermelon tomato
Cheeokee purple
Mortgage lifter
I gotcha covered. Pm me your address and i send you out some Spudakee no trade or sase necessary
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2015   #161
JLJ_
Tomatovillian™

Default No 2016 paper catalog from Sand Hill Preservation

Thought those who buy from Sand Hill would like to read the section here about their decision not to print a paper catalog in 2016.

http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/pages/news.html

I'm sad to see the paper catalog go, but their decision is certainly understandable -- and it's nice that they hope it will give them more freedom to include additional information in the downloadable .pdf catalog and to get the 2016 offerings updated sooner on the website.

Also means that any of us who know non-internet people who have been or want to be Sand Hill customers should try to help them access the information they need.
JLJ_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8, 2015   #162
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

Once more the USPS (Service?) shoots themselves in the foot. They tend to be restricting business rather than looking for more ways to expand. Sad state of affairs.

Let Glenn know you support his decision by purchasing as many seeds and poultry as possible. He is one of my three "go-to" seed sellers. The other two are Tomatovillians and you know who you are.
Old November 12, 2015   #163
Aerial
Tomatovillian™

Even though there are no pictures on the web catalog, the site is quite an enjoyable read. Lots to choose from.
Aerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016   #164
klemmabyna
Tomatovillian™

mailed my 2016 tomato seed order on Monday, jan 25, received seeds Saturday, jan 30. volunteered for replacements but received all 10 of the varieties I wanted. very generous seed counts in the packets plus a free bonus variety. my second year ordering from sand hill and don't expect to look anywhere else.
klemmabyna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 2, 2016   #165
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Updating information about Sandhill.

Glenn called me two days ago and said that he was getting letters from some folks who have no computers nor access to them if everything is just online now.

So he had about only 2000 catalogs printed and is sending them out first class for those who need them and for those who have computers but prefer catalogs for $ 5 which is refundable when an order is sent in,

He has made it possible to view three sections

seeds, roots, books

sweet potatoes

Poultry

At the top of those three sections there is a pdf that you can download.

I do hope I've remembered all that he told me and someone was there , from a similar post I made at idig, and said he/she thought that by using Ctl and F that one could search those pdf's

Carolyn