Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

NORCATT™ event information and discussion forum. Northern California Tomato Tasting

Old March 3, 2006   #31
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Debra, Bruce, Bob, would Davis make it more convenient for you? (Diana, I don't know where you live) Should we go ahead and get a park reserved for August 26th? Let's get this going...
Old March 3, 2006   #32
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

It would for me. I think it would be a slightly nicer setting and little closer for the Bay Area folks. More tables would be good too.

Don't get me wrong though, the park last year was great also.
Old March 3, 2006   #33
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Default Wow. So is this event going to happen again? :-)

All,

Davis sounds nice. Thanks!

GTG
Old March 3, 2006   #34
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi All,

It seems like Davis is the consensus for the tomato tasting event? I cannot speak for the locals, but I do not know if there is enough interest in a tomato plant exchange in Sacto. This will be my first year growing from a seeds. My plants don't look to impressive. I started them in early Jan.

Hi vermiit,

Is is possible for you to book Pioneer Park in Davis? Please let us know either way. :wink: Also, please let us know how we can help contribute to offset the cost. Last year, Kristy set up a PayPal account for this event.

Cheers,

Angelique
Old March 4, 2006   #35
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Hi! Yes, I can go reserve the park, no problem.

I assume it'll be under 50 people. How many hours do you think it'll be? It's 14.00 an hour. Say, 3 hours? I wasn't there last year, so if you can give me the times. I can take care of the deposit of course, I assume Heirloom Tomato Affectionados are not the kind to trash a park! Can you post me the date that was decided too? I remember there was some discussion, and I'm not completely clear on the date settled on.

Then I can go down to the Recreation Building next week and get it taken care of.
I have a paypal account, I just have to remember the details...(it's been awhile)

Diana (aka vermiit ala vermiculture)
Old March 4, 2006   #36
coronabarb

It seems to me we were there a lot longer than 3 hrs. Heck, it took us over an hour just to get set up and the tomatoes all sorted and marked. My guess would be to reserve for 5 hrs? At $14/hr, we could cover that. Maybe start at 10:00?

I'm going to call my sister and tell her what we've got up our sleeves. She'll be excited as she had a hip replacement last month and is working on physical therapy to get mobile.

I haven't heard back from janice in the sierras. Bob and Bruce, do you remember what her system was? (I don't) The only thing I didn't like was not knowing what I was tasting. As you remember, I kept a tally of those tomatoes I really liked. I guess we could have cards that would turn over with the names on the back.

I'm looking forward to August and seeing you all again!
Old March 5, 2006   #37
landarc
Tomatovillian™

I don't remember all of the details of the system. It seems that we assigned numbers to each of the toms, put them on plates organized by type and had color keyed sheets that allowed for judging. I think it was Bruce that suggested above that if we had a list before the event, that someone could set up the cards ahead of schedule. Not a bad idea.

As for location, Davis sounds great.

Bob
Old March 18, 2006   #38
vermiit
Tomatovillian™

Okay all: Pioneer Park is Davis is reserved for August 26, and since the 'all day' charge was a few dollars less than 5 hours at $14 an hour, we have it from 8:00am -8:00pm. It cost $66. There '9 tables, and 2 BBQs with restrooms nearby, small off-street parking lot and electricity on the pillar.'

The address is 5035 Hamel Drive (corner of Hamel Dr. & Swingle St.)

I have a paypal account. I'm not keen to post my email on a forum thread, so you can pm me. (you CAN edit 'old' posts!)

My mouth is already watering for real tomatos...

Diana
Old March 18, 2006   #39
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Diana, looks like a great spot.

Map:
http://pic10.picturetrail.com/VOL326.../133860176.jpg
Old March 22, 2006   #40
coronabarb

Nine tables sound wonderful. We were a bit crowded with 5 last year.
Old March 29, 2006   #41
feraltomatoes
Tomatovillian™

If this weather keeps up we may be lucky to have a sungold by the end of August.
I think we just tied the record for rainfall in march for number of days and total inches.
I usually would have planted out a couple weeks ago and its hard to keep seedling looking good for this long.
I am getting depressed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old April 3, 2006   #42
coronabarb

brad,

This rain is a bummer, eh? You guys are getting mucho more than us down here, but, WOW, three more days of rain coming. The forecast is for another two weeks at least, with this weather pattern. This is the coldest March/April I remember. Spring break is usually in the '80's.
Old April 4, 2006   #43
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Barb,

I’m just glad I got a later than usual start on my seedlings. They’re still a manageable size for carrying around so I can get them under cover (and lights) during the downpours. That’s exactly what it’s doing at the moment. Our street looks like a creek.
Old April 4, 2006   #44
angelique
Tomatovillian™

The rain has made me so depressed. I started my tomato seeds way to early. My plants are outside fending for themselves in the rain...Most of them don't look so good.

SFT and Kimberly are the only plants that look happy. They are both in 5 gallon containers.
Old April 5, 2006   #45
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Angelique, I have a backup plant for most of what I’m growing. They may not be what you were planning to grow but if yours drown in the next 2 weeks of rain (or maybe more) you are welcome to them. Are you planning to make the plant swap?

Bruce