Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

NORCATT™ event information and discussion forum. Northern California Tomato Tasting

Old April 19, 2006   #16
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

We aren't getting any replies from Sacramento. Maybe we could meet somewhere in Oakland on Saturday?
Old April 19, 2006   #17
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

All,

Oakland works for me. What's a good BART station? How about Rockridge BART?

(There are some good eating places nearby.)

Here's my list, updated:

Akers West Virginia
Andes (Cornue des Andes)
Bear Claw
Brandywine (Sudduth's strain)
Campbell 1327
Clear Pink Early
County Agent
Del Mar
Ernesto
German Johnson
Heidi
Hillegass Cherry (experiment)
Honey
Honey Hybrid
Ingegnoli Gigante Liscio
Kalman's Hungarian Pink
Lithuanian
Mayo's Delight
Momotaro Hybrid
Mr. Potato Leaf ("Mr. Mango")
Mrs. Benson
Nepal
Odoriko Hybrid
Old Yellow Candystripe
Opalka Paste
Picardy
Prue
Rinaldo
Rockridge Red Grape
Rose Quartz Multiflora
Rouge D'Irak
Russian 117
Saint Pierre
Santa Clara Canner
Stump of the World
Stupice
Sun Gold Hybrid
Sweet Baby Girl Hybrid
Tatar of Mongolistan
Togorific
Wispy Critter
Hawaiian Pineapple
Jefferson Giant
Sugar Lump
Visitacion Valley

[* indicates only one plant from this variety, might not be available for swap]

Cuostralee*
Marianna's Peace*
Burracker's Favorite*
Peppermint*
Scarab*
Verna Orange*
Pink Grapefruit*
Sweet Quartz Hybrid*

GTG
Old April 19, 2006   #18
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant Exchange in Oakland 2/22/06

Rockridge BART works fine. What time shall we meet? My list is notably shorter than either of yours. Wish I had more space!

*Sungold F1 Hybrid
*Taxi Yellow (early ~65 days, Yellow, Determinate)
*Sioux (75 days, Ind., Red, originally from Marianne Jones)
*Elfie (~ 85 days, Ind., Yellow beefsteak-- originally from 1998 IL LON seed exchange; SSE)
*Powers Heirloom (~ 80 days, Indeterminate, Yellow paste, Tomato Growers Supply)
*4th of July F1 Hybrid (49 days, short Ind., Burpee)
*Eva Purple Ball (originally from Tomato Growers)
*Marizol Gold (originally from Chuck Wyatt)

I'll pore over your lists and request a few - I should have a couple of each of the above ones to share, so let me know which to bring!

BetsyLT
Old April 19, 2006   #19
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilhuacle
We aren't getting any replies from Sacramento. Maybe we could meet somewhere in Oakland on Saturday?
I am definitely out. I started my tomato plants way too early (the first week of Jan.). The ones that made it, look super scraggly. I might just have to grab a few plants from a nursery.

I hope you guys have fun...See ya in August.

Cheers,

Angelique
Old April 20, 2006   #20
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Rockridge BART works for me. GTG can pick a spot where we can find each other. Saturday at 10 or 11 AM would be good.

I should finish planting what I have today so I'll know what's left over. It should be close to the list I updated on page one of this thread. 8)
Old April 20, 2006   #21
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Oh, BTW I sure could use the Ernesto. I messed up and didn't save seeds last year.
Old April 20, 2006   #22
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant trade - Saturday 11 AM Rockridge BART

Hi,

Let's make it for 11 AM at Rockridge BART, since it will give us a bit more time to toodle over there from the south bay.

Remember my caveat of a few days ago -- these babies are *really* small. I'll check back to see if either of you are tempted by mine. Meanwhile, I need to temper my desires and limit what I ask for a bit.

GTG, I've wanted to grow Santa Clara Canner and Diener, since they originated in this area, so I know I'll want a SCC plant. My tastes tend toward "sweet", so if you have some suggestions, throw 'em at me.

GTG & Bruce, we can find our way to Rockridge BART, but where shall we meet you once we get there? I sent a PM to Landarc suggesting that he join us, even sans plants -- I figure the more the merrier.

Aside -- if either of you are willing to commit to growing for seed, I'm doing a grow-out this season of Quedlinburger Fruehe Liebe, from saved seeds from when I grew it in Alaska. I'd love to hand off one or two of the plants to help assure that at least one of us manages to have a good season with it. It's a sweet red indeterminate (potato leaf) which performed amazingly well in Alaska. My seed is getting old, and I want to send some to my Master Gardening buddies in Fairbanks, but want to do a growout to have fresh seed first. Let me know... the only place I think you can find a description for the variety is on tomatofest.com -- our original seed was purchased at the Tomato Fest from Grandview Farms in about 1996.

-BetsyLT
Old April 20, 2006   #23
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Aside -- if either of you are willing to commit to growing for seed, I'm doing a grow-out this season of Quedlinburger Fruehe Liebe, from saved seeds from when I grew it in Alaska. I'd love to hand off one or two of the plants to help assure that at least one of us manages to have a good season with it.
SOLD!

And I could grow out some of those Indische Fleish seeds also if you have any left.

I'll provide Taxi Yellow a home too if no one else wants to adopt the orphan.

Bruce
Old April 20, 2006   #24
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

Angelique,

I'm heading up to Sacramento next Thursday and I'm going to drop off a few plants for Kristy. I'll let you know what I have left after the swap on Saturday. If you'd like, I can leave a few plants for you if you need some....but then, don't we all? murhaaa haaa haaaa!
Old April 20, 2006   #25
kristy
Tomatovillian™

Default Also, Angelique...

My daughter has art class in Roseville (near the gallerias) every Wednesday evening, so I can arrange to take you plants from Chilhuacle then if that's convenient for you. I've been very unimpressed by what Windmill and Fair Oaks nurseries have available this year in the way of tomato varieties. I haven't made it over to Capital yet. I assume they'll be better?

-Kristy
Old April 20, 2006   #26
betsylt
Tomatovillian™

Default Saturday's NORCATT plant swap - 11 AM Rockridge

Kristy, Angelique -- feel free to check out my list above (albeit short); I'm happy to leave some plants with Bruce to hand off next week, assuming he's okay with it.

Bruce -- Taxi and Quedlinburger baby plants and Indische Fleish seeds -- you got 'em! Anything else?

I'm a little overwhelmed by your (Bruce's) and GTG's lists. I plan to discuss with my partner in crime and send you a list of desired varieties (how many are you willing to part with?) tomorrow. I have a friend who adores Odoriko and Momotaro, but I typically avoid growing hybrids, as there are so many wonderful OP varieties I've not yet tried. If he *really* wants to grow them himself and you're game, I may ask for them to share.

I can't find the scoop on Earl's Faux, even tho I read a description (from ? Craig? ) a while back; ditto Grub's and several others.

More soon --

BetsyLT
Old April 20, 2006   #27
angelique
Tomatovillian™

Hi All,

You are all too great. Thanks for the many offers. Luckily, a small amount of the Jan plants survived (one of each, Tangerine, Mexico, Aunt Ruby's Green, and Una's yellow cherry), Snow White (gave to Grandpa Ike) and two Aunt Gertie's Gold (gave 1 to Grandpa Ike). Hopefully, Grandpa Joe doesn't find out that Grandpa I got plants first.

Two weeks ago, I started BTD, Grub's Mystery Green, Stick and Black Heart. Hopefully, this isn't too late. I sure learned my lesson about starting too early. Who would have thought that NorCal weather would be so crazy.

If possible, I would like to get local opinions as to whether I should toss the other surviving tomato plants. Some of are purple under their leaves, some are very dark green with yellowish spots. All of them have lost their lower leaves. It's too late for me to take photos now and tomorrow I will be out of town. On Sat, I'll post some pics. Part of me thinks that I should just dump them.

Hi Kristy,

Thank you very much. I can meet you at the Roseville Galleria or on your side of town. I am totally flexible. I haven't been to any local nurseries yet. I'll definitely check them out in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for the info. about Windmill Nursery. I was going to check it out next week (my brother just bought a house near Kenneth and Fair Oaks). Avoid Green Acres is Roseville. All of the plants that I bought from them last year were diseased. I might check out Morningsun Herb Farm in a couple of weeks. Here is a link to the tomato varieties that they will be carrying:

http://www.morningsunherbfarm.com/vegetables2006.html.

Hi Betsylt and Chilhuacle,

Thank you. I am super flexible. Anything you have to spare would be great. If either of you have a medium to large red tom or cherry (any color) that would be great. This will give me the opportunity to pass on my Mexico and Una's Gold to Grandpa Joe.

Take care and have lots of fun swapping tomatoes. Please post pictures.

Cheers,

Angelique
Old April 21, 2006   #28
feraltomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I will have a selection of very healthy plants on saturday at the farmers market on Grand Ave and 580 in Oakland. I will be there if someone from here wants something let me know by tonight and I will bring it and give it to you.Free to tomatovillians no trade needed. My list is very long and I am short on time so let me know. It might be a good place to meet, there is a park and ride right under 580.
Brad..........
Old April 21, 2006   #29
GreenThumbGal_07
Tomatovillian™

Bruce, Kristy, Angelique,

If it's OK with you Bruce, and if you guys are interested, perhaps you'd like some plants from my posted list, too? Please let me know and I can bring extras to the swap on Saturday. Thanks.

GTG
Old April 21, 2006   #30
chilhuacle
Tomatovillian™

I'd like the Ernesto and Picardy if you have enough. I was hoping you could, would, pick, & post a meeting place if you know Rockridge BART better than me. There is an area under the tracks where the main street runs thru if that works. I'll PM my cell phone number.

There's a nice Italian restaurant (and about everything else) nearby if anyone wants lunch!