Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old March 4, 2018   #91
velikipop
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley View Post
I pre soaked my seeds overnight in a potassium nitrate solution before sowing them and used two thermometers inside the covered tray and placed them on the heat mat but to no avail for many varieties. I then used the soaked paper towel/baggie method on a heat mat and got two stubborn varieties to finally pop today. Next year, I plan to germinate seeds using the latter method before planting. And I will plant double the seeds for sure.
With pepper germination patience is a must. It has been three weeks since I started my sweet peppers and some came up after a week and others are still popping up. Pre soaking is a good idea, as is the baggy method. I used the latter to sprout 10 year old seeds. The rate of success was not great but I have 3 seedlings of Kurtovska Kapija (aka Ajvarska) popping up. Good luck.

Alex

Bob Dylan
velikipop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5, 2018   #92
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patihum View Post
Peppers with a * have been overwintered in the greenhouse and we've enjoyed having fresh peppers this winter. Plus 4 crosses

Boldog
Bill's Striped
Canoncito - landrace
Cayenne Yellow
Chocolate Ancho
Giant Sweet Devil's Horn
Jalapeno Gigantia
Jalmundo
Kolobok*
Little Bells
Oxhorn of Carmagnola
Peperone di Senise*
Poblano L
Santa Lucia Island*
Spanish Piquillo
Stavros
Stocky Red Roaster
Stocky Golden Roaster
Sirenevyi
Thunder Mountain Longhorn*
Tollie's Traveler Jalapeno
Yummy Orange*

Except for the Viper these are already up and growing

Peach Scorpion Jolokia
Naga Viper
Chocolate Scorpion
7 Pod Infinity
With limited knowledgea bout Kansas weather, by its general geographic location, I would expect a zone 5 climate. Given that winters are cold, how do you pick which peppers will survive in the green house? Or is your GH heated??

(Would love fresh pepper all winter if possible.)
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2018   #93
Hervey
Tomatovillian™

Aconcagua
Ajvarski
Bulgarian Carrot
Carmen
Cayenne
Corno di Toro Giallo
Corno di Toro Rosso
Full Moon
Golden Treasure
Korean
Korean Long Green
Liebesapfel
Lipstick
Lively Orange
Mega Marconi
Mellow Star
Odessa Market
Pimento L
Pizza
Quadrato D Asti Giallo
Quadrato D Asti Rosso
Wonder Bell
Hervey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6, 2018   #94
Patihum
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Krim View Post
With limited knowledgea bout Kansas weather, by its general geographic location, I would expect a zone 5 climate. Given that winters are cold, how do you pick which peppers will survive in the green house? Or is your GH heated??

(Would love fresh pepper all winter if possible.)
We're 6a here. Yes the greenhouse is heated. I use an electric heater when it's really cold but most of the time I use big oil lamps made for heating greenhouses plus a fan to circulate the heat. I have tropical hibiscus is the reason for the heated greenhouse. Otherwise I probably wouldn't heat it just for peppers.
Patihum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #95
GoDawgs
Tomatovillian™

This year I'm growing:

1 Blight Buster - a freebie from last year that made the first good sized bell I've ever grown. There were only two seeds left in the pack.

1 Feher Ozon paprika - first time with this and doing just one to see how well it does here. Want to make my own paprika powder.

2 Gypsy plus the one overwintered one

1 Jalapeno M - New variety to me. One plant usually provides all the jalapenos I need for pickled slices, poppers and a few frozen ones.

1 Jupiter and 1 Keystone Resistant - Trialing these bells for heat and humidity tolerance as well as production since bells don't typically do well for me. In this area the cubanelle types do much better but I'm not giving up hope on bells yet.

1 Korean Dark Green - This heirloom is supposedly one grown in an area of Korea noted for their hot pepper flakes that go into making kimchee. Again, I'd like to make my own flakes for my kimchee.

1 Maule's Red Hot cayenne - for cayenne powder

The peppers are up and under the lights. They're in order of height as some took a lot longer to come up than others and I have the light slanted to try to keep a 2" distance above the plants. Some of the seeded tomato pots are in the foreground.

The first hummingbird came to the porch feeder Monday! Right on time as with other years. It's amazing how consistent their arrival is each year. Yesterday there were two at the feeder so Spring is officially here.
GoDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23, 2018   #96
jillian
Tomatovillian™

Looking good GoDawgs! I received the free packet of Blight Buster pepper seeds too but couldn't find much info about it so I decided not to try it. Maybe next year just to see how it does even though I am not a real fan of bell peppers.

I grew Feher Ozon a couple years back, I seem to never get around to making powder.
It did well for me and it's also very pretty! Here is a pic of it I posted , #20.

Happy growing!

http://tomatoville.com/showthread.ph...er+ozon&page=2
jillian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #97
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I just planted a tray of superhots. I took the pic before covering them up. Naga Viper is the tag on the back right that is partially obscured.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resized_20180329_193742_1178.jpeg (369.2 KB, 149 views)
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #98
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

All my peppers are doing great. Got 10 each of CSO and Mighty Minis ready to into ground/pots.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #99
pmcgrady
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I just planted a tray of superhots. I took the pic before covering them up. Naga Viper is the tag on the back right that is partially obscured.
You are germinating super hots now? Wow, I did start mine way to early, but I have a couple trays that look Awsum. Went to get a pic but the timer shut off the lights. Film at eleven.
pmcgrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2018   #100
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcgrady View Post
You are germinating super hots now? Wow, I did start mine way to early, but I have a couple trays that look Awsum. Went to get a pic but the timer shut off the lights. Film at eleven.
I have learned from previous years not to start early. My greenhouse gets too cold at night, and they suffer. My seeds do start very quickly in a small room under a 1,000 watt metal halide light, so I never have the common experience of waiting weeks for seed to germinate. I also don't grow plants inside very long. If they get any sun burn at all, people won't buy them. If the sun would ever come out, my greenhouse will be 90-100 degrees during the day, and they grow very quickly.
Old April 5, 2018   #101
Gin3ll
Tomatovillian™

Schindler's List for 2018:

Sweet pepper Vlad
Hot pepper SVGB
Paprika Pepper SVGB
Jubilanka
Sweet nardelo
Yellow Monster
Dracula
De Padron
Golden Marconi
Bulgarian Carrot
Senator hungarian pepper
Faludi hungarian pepper

(SVGB - a seed bank which distribute free sample of traditional peppers from our area, a golden mine in saving traditional varieties).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29695247_1678648045529875_4298826079302320128_o.jpg (343.3 KB, 114 views)
Gin3ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6, 2018   #102
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The first superhots in the tray pictured earlier are poking up. I didn't put them under the light under the next day after I made that post, so I am getting sprouts at about six days....not too shabby. It has been cold this week, so it is a little colder inside, or I think they would have sprouted a day or so earlier.
Old April 6, 2018   #103
imp
Tomatovillian™

Gin311, what is the low green stuff growing in with your peppers?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018   #104
Gin3ll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by imp View Post
Gin311, what is the low green stuff growing in with your peppers?
Something from substrate, i think a kind of moss?! something inoffensive
Gin3ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2018   #105
joseph
Tomatovillian™

I have about 2 ounces of pepper seed from many different varieties. I'm intending to direct seed it about 10 days before out last expected frost. Sure would be nice to find something that could grow without transplanting.
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote