Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 8, 2009   #1
cdg
Tomatovillian™

Default Bitter Cucumbers

What causes cucumbers to become bitter. At start of year they were very good ,now some have become bitter.Just wondering what causes this,too much water,too little water.hot temps. something else?????THANKS
CDG
cdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #2
sprtsguy76
Tomatovillian™

I think inconsistant watering or not enough water makes them bitter. They like lots of water. I'll tell you this, I think cucumbers are one of the best canidates for SWC's, they always do great in them and they are never bitter. One example is I grew a Boston Pickling this year in a big pot and they were bitter. I also grew them this year in a SWC and they were not bitter.

Damon
sprtsguy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #3
aninocentangel
Tomatovillian™

Not to be nosy, but how're they producing for you, quantity wise?
I ask because I grew boston pickling last year, and a volunteer this year (both in the ground) and it has been slow to produce the few cukes it grows. They are quite tasty though.
aninocentangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #4
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Yes, heat and lack of water. Next time you plant when your seedlings get big enough, try a thick layer of straw mulch and water deeply each morning. The mulch really does make a difference. Even with that, you may still notice a little bitterness at the blossom end of the fruit. Since I've done the mulching thing, I no longer have whole cukes with a bitter taste.
Old July 9, 2009   #5
montanamato
Tomatovillian™

Ditto on heat and water stress....A few varieties seem easier to make bitter, but without even watering most eventually get bitter...
Mine are under shade cloth this year for heat and grasshopper protection and I hope to avoid most of the bitterness...I do leave them exposed to morning sun for a few hours for pollination, but they are growing much faster than when I let the wind and heat beat them up all day...
I bet SWC 's would be nice for cukes...

Jeanne
montanamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #6
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

If your Cucs and Zuccs have a narrow blossom end, rather like an elongated nipple, that's due to uneven polination and those will usually be bitter too. I always tell my picking crew to pitch those as they shouldn't be sold either.

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #7
cdg
Tomatovillian™

OK -Thanks- I've been watering everyother day with drip tape but temps here have reached 100/104 daily. May need to water every day and they are mulched.
Thanks again
CDG
cdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2009   #8
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

Angel, that is an interesting comment about Boston Pickling. I grew it two years from two different seed sources and had the same results you're describing. They were healthy plants, just not nearly as productive as other heirloom picklers I've grown. A few years ago, I tried eight or so different picklers side by side just to compare. The three winners were National Pickling, Chicago Pickling and Snow's Fancy Picking (a selection of Chicago Pickling). Now Snow's is all I grow and it's a cuke machine in my garden. I use it for pickles and fresh. You can get seeds from SSE or Baker Creek. I may have a few left from this season if you want to try them. If so, send me a PM.
Old July 10, 2009   #9
veggie babe
Tomatovillian™

I planted Boston Pickler for the first time this year and was disappointed in production, the quailty and size were excellent. I think I will follow your advice and try the ones you listed for next year.

neva
veggie babe is offline   Reply With Quote