Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old March 17, 2019   #1
hornstrider
Tomatovillian™

Default Kosovo Tomato

I have grown Kosovo in the past. The first year I grew Kosovo I entered it in a county wide Tomato Fest here in Central Texas. John Dromgoul of The Natural Gardener hosted the event. I won first place in "Best Tasting" category...actually a tie between my Cherokee Purple, and Kosovo. The year I won the event the Kosovo tomatoes were a normal size tomato about the size of an orange. In following years the Kosovo fruit were much, much larger, and not as tasty( some over 1 lb.). I am growing again this year. I purchased my seed from Tomatofest. - (Gary Ibsen's tomato seed). What can I expect. Normal size fruit or giants? I am planting out today, and I am trying to decide how many to plant. Thank you!
hornstrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019   #2
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

I've grown Kosovo every year for years now, and they've always been as you first described - medium sized and delicious. That's why I keep growing them! But I am in Vermont, and that may make some difference. And, I always prune to two stems, which usually results in larger fruit than unpruned.
Old March 17, 2019   #3
biscuitridge
Tomatovillian™

Mine have always been on the large size,so much so,that I crossed it with some of my giants.
biscuitridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 17, 2019   #4
TomNJ
Tomatovillian™

I actually count and weigh all of my tomatoes by variety, and Kosovo is my favorite. Here in the Blue Ridge Mountains of southwestern Virginia (Zone 6b) my Kosovos are quite large, averaging 12 ounces with some over one pound. They are also my earliest and most productive, averaging 20 pounds per plant. I have been growing them for nine years and love them.
TomNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 18, 2019   #5
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Mine average from about 8 to 20 ounces, very few smaller, very few larger. The shape can vary between hearts, blunt hearts, and beefsteaks. My largest tomatoes usually are disfigured because they are fused blossom fruit. Also, too much rain/watering can increase the size and decrease the flavor.

But, I'd still watch out to see if you had Kosovo cross with another variety.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote